Foreigners to need a licence to ride a moto soon?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Foreigners to need a licence to ride a moto soon?

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

I'm hearing that as of May 1st, changes to traffic laws are coming, including the need for foreigners to have a licence to ride any kind of motorbike.

Don't fully believe it as I've heard similar before but in times where many are losing income, I don't want to be the sucker who gets fleeced.

Have heard it from a friend's wife who's friendly with a high ranking police, and another friend: 'it's all over social media'.
Incidentally, this is in Siem Reap, if that makes a difference.

Anyone have anything a bit more definitive?

Thanks
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Foreigners to need a licence to ride a moto soon?

Post by canucklhead »

I suppose all your sim cards are registered.
Havent heard anything about this myself, but even if true it basically doesnt change anything. 13 years of riding all manner of bikes here, no one has ever asked for my reg card or license.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Agree, it won't change anything, unless it does.....!

I agree that it's unlikely to really change anything and if you don't drive in the wrong direction and wear a helmet, the police in SR tend to leave you alone.

But if there is an official change, I'd like to know about it.
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

New traffic fines are being imposed from 1st of May but no new laws about foreigners riding motorbikes, not in PP.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... EotZ85l3yc

The National Police recently trained nearly 4,000 police officers in preparation to implement new traffic laws on May 1 that will see a three to five-fold increase in fines for traffic violations.

National Police chief Neth Savoeun said in an April 27 letter to Minister of Interior Sar Kheng that 3,919 policemen will enforce the new laws.

This includes 3,507 traffic police officers and 412 cooperative police officers. They will be supplied with 364 vehicles – 66 cars and 298 motorbikes.

Vocational training has also been provided to 3,978 traffic police officers to enhance their skills of inspection and intervention.

Officers also received guidance on how to perform their duties with a sense of morality and discipline.

The new traffic sub-decrees were announced to the public and disseminated through Facebook, TV and radio, noted the letter.

“All 25 capital and provincial police commissariats and speciality departments have created action plans on how to strengthen the implementation of road traffic laws in 2020. The National Police targeted 568 locations to strengthen the law,” added the letter.

Drivers who do not wear a helmet or wear one inappropriately will be fined a minimum of 60,000 riel ($15), according to the sub-decree.

Motorists who drive under the influence of alcohol will be levied with hefty fines.

Two and three-wheeled motorists with a blood alcohol content of 0.40mg per litre of air or 0.80g or higher per litre of blood will be fined one million riel.

For lightweight lorry drivers, the fine is two million riel for the same violation while heavy lorry drivers will be fined four million riel.

If drivers are caught driving under the influence of alcohol twice within six months, the traffic police will file a report and send the case to court for legal procedure.

Drivers who violate traffic laws may also have their vehicles seized by the National Police.

National Police spokesman Chhay Kim Khoeun told The Post on Monday that police forces are ready to implement the law.

Institute for Road Safety director Kong Ratanak said he noticed messages on social media posted by the National Police alerting citizens of the new sub-decree.

“The National Police have already started disseminating the new sub-decree, but we cannot yet determine how many citizens are aware of the new law, so the dissemination should be continued,” he said.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

mcam, your reply seems to tally pretty closely with what I've heard, so thanks for that.

No mention of a licence being needed for foreigners for motos so I'm guessing that's a bit of an embellishment.

Cheers
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

OP, traffic rules are slightly different in every province , so I would check out what's going down in SR. It may not be the same as elsewhere. As I recall, SR police used to be very tough with foreigners on rented motorbikes. At one stage, tourists were not allowed to rent motorbikes at all (officially). This was not the case nationwide.
In Sihanoukville, police would stop all foreigners to check their motorbike driver's license, but an International DL was ok. However, reportedly, the IDL was not accepted elsewhere, like in PP, if I remember rightly.

Also, these things come and go. For one month, you will get a license check by zealous policemen about every 2 days, and then nothing. In Kampot now, about 20% people riding on a motorbike have a helmet on. However, about 70% are wearing face masks (and no helmet.) TIC. :shrug:
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

I am also not very reliably informed that it will no longer be permitted to carry more than one passenger (including children) on a moto. This is a real hardship for a lot of families so I guess most people will ignore it.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Thanks to all who have taken the trouble to reply.

It seems there is a crackdown of sorts coming and fines may well significantly increase, at least in terms of their starting price!

As mentioned, it will likely vary from province to province and depend on the mood of the lawman in question and the attitude and negotiating skills of the infractor.

Quite some years ago, I was stopped after making what was deemed an illegal U-turn. The officer in question kindly showed me the required level of fine, handwritten, all in Khmer, in a small notebook. It was obvious that I didn't speak more than minimal Khmer and certainly couldn't read it but the number 20 was clearly there. He wasn't getting that from all but the most foolish foreigner and after some fairly good natured theatrics, I continued on my merry way, 2 dollars worse off, both parties reasonably happy with the deal :)
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Thank you for taking the time to type that so we know mcam.

I was stopped a few days ago. I was sitting at a red light on the inside lane and looked over and saw a gap I was able to slide through to the shade into the outside land. the cops stopped me and asked for $20, I couldn't believe it. They threatened to take my moto for 3 days. I said, "sure no problem, I'll get a tuk-tuk." While I was opening the grab app they lowered the price significantly.

I wonder if they had the updated training and were asking for $5 above the required $15 for their personal tip? While I was backing out, the one cop that was a dick (there were 4) said "nice moto." When I didn't reply he repeated himself. I gave him a bit of a look while saying a "thanks" that matched it. and I'm sure he feels like I was the asshat.
Still here, in country...
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Is there any.written proof that foreigners dont need a licence if driving a less than 125cc bike
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic