10000 native english teachers required in Thailand

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: 10000 native english teachers required in Thailand

Post by Jerry Atrick »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:33 am farang teachers teaching in thai schools ( not university) earn between 25-35,000 baht/month
enough to get by living alone, but not much
That's not enough for a long weekend in BKK, unless you live like a monk.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Even the high end of that is a crap monthly wage but on a 3 day weekend in Bkk, I would probably spend only 25K, including a decent hotel, great food, a different hoe each night, booze and narcotics. I'd have 10K left over.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Marty wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:35 pm Even the high end of that is a crap monthly wage but on a 3 day weekend in Bkk, I would probably spend only 25K, including a decent hotel, great food, a different hoe each night, booze and narcotics. I'd have 10K left over.
So you just going out one weekend every month, one out three off. 10k left if you don't loose it, or get robed. Pay the rent, utilities and food out of the 10k or you using your bank balance. You have cut down to one weekend bender. I said its only a matter of time, you will grow out of it. Or we will read the tragic news on here. :popcorn:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

my partner was earning 40,000 baht in 2005.

no inflation-related adjustment in 15 years? duck off.

teachers, here's a suggestion: duck thailand.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Marty wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:35 pm Even the high end of that is a crap monthly wage but on a 3 day weekend in Bkk, I would probably spend only 25K, including a decent hotel, great food, a different hoe each night, booze and narcotics. I'd have 10K left over.
Multiply the hookers and adding a shopping spree it's pretty much done.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:51 pm
So you just going out one weekend every month, one out three off. 10k left if you don't loose it, or get robed. Pay the rent, utilities and food out of the 10k or you using your bank balance. You have cut down to one weekend bender. I said its only a matter of time, you will grow out of it. Or we will read the tragic news on here. :popcorn:
No. Jerry was comparing a monthly Bangkok wage to 3 day weekend. Or so I thought. Nobody would spend 8,300 per day baht living in an apartment in Bangkok. You could live there on 35K. You would have no savings, but you wouldn't live like a monk either. I was the first to reply to the OP. That reply also implied low wages. Only a Filipino, a South Asian or other third or forth worlder would be OK with that kind of pay. Thats all the Thais need anyway.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

fazur wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:59 pm my partner was earning 40,000 baht in 2005.

no inflation-related adjustment in 15 years? duck off.

teachers, here's a suggestion: duck thailand.
:facepalm:
i was earning $15,000 /month back in the 80''s
$3-4,000/ in the 90's
now earn less than a $1,000
so what??? :stir:

AFAIK
true teachers do not enter the profession to accumulate wealth, most do it cause they love teaching
( discounting those teaching english in Cambodia ) :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:46 am
phuketrichard wrote:farang teachers teaching in thai schools ( not university) earn between 25-35,000 baht/month
enough to get by living alone, but not much
Exactly. And if you want someone who's not a gap-year student, you have to pay up. No mention of the complicated visa/work permit situation there as well, which drives people away after a short stint. I agree regarding their poor English skills in general. Even in some large hotels the staff are pretty clueless language-wise.

And regarding colonization: the only reason they weren't colonized was because the French and British wanted a buffer state...
I think the French went a little nuts and tried to take it or parts of it in 1940 and were repelled. Thats what Victory Monument is there for. I'm sure others here know a much more detailed history, but thats it in a nutshell.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Marty wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:21 pm
I think the French went a little nuts and tried to take it or parts of it in 1940 and were repelled. Thats what Victory Monument is there for. I'm sure others here know a much more detailed history, but thats it in a nutshell.
If you think France's performance against the Nazis was bad, Thailand capitulated to the Japanese invasion after 5 hours!
The Thais attacked French Indochina first, bombing Battambang, Phnom Penh and Vientiane. The French counterattacked Aranyaprathet and some Cambodian villages occupied by the Thais. Then there was a naval battle at Koh Chang. Japan mediated and France had to cede the western/northern provinces to Thailand. These were returned to French control in 1946.
Last edited by John Bingham on Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Thanks John, thats clearer and more comprehensive than what I preveiously knew about it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic