10000 native english teachers required in Thailand

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: 10000 native english teachers required in Thailand

Post by rexwell »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:33 am farang teachers teaching in thai schools ( not university) earn between 25-35,000 baht/month
enough to get by living alone, but not much
What a joke. University degrees cost far too much money to work for pissy money like that. Teflers make more than that here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:54 am It's directed at rural scbools so the cost of living will be lower, I wonder how many will be attracted to living in rural Thailand though.
only thing you save on living rural is rent,
food is food, beer is beer, electricity is electricity
i spend quite a bit of time driving around the north and issan and hard to find anywhere thats not within 35 kms or so of a big c or tesco mall so its not like ur really out there.....
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Marty wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:44 am Those positions can be easily filled. With Filipinos.
Marvellous

crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

I've been pondering moving to Thailand or Vietnam for some time, with english teaching being the only real job options.

The main issue is pay, unless your a qualified teacher working at a international school the pay is often at best around the 30k mark, what would be a struggle if you don't have some savings in the bank or a second income... especially with the dual pricing most white foreigners get... Than there is the issue of visas and not having workers rights n possible being screw over.

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:54 am It's directed at rural scbools so the cost of living will be lower, I wonder how manywill be immens to living in rural Thailand though.
A bit of me would like that more, I love the SE Asia country side ... where I would struggle is not speaking Thai
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:33 am farang teachers teaching in thai schools ( not university) earn between 25-35,000 baht/month
enough to get by living alone, but not much
The time I was talking, the qualified guy was on 15,000 and suffered all kinds of shit from the older students. The money you have quoted seems less then what can be earned here. Saying that about here Myanmar and China pay more, So the Thai's want qualified but don't seem to want to pay the money warranted.

:please:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

crob wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:03 am I've been pondering moving to Thailand or Vietnam for some time, with english teaching being the only real job options.

The main issue is pay, unless your a qualified teacher working at a international school the pay is often at best around the 30k mark, what would be a struggle if you don't have some savings in the bank or a second income... especially with the dual pricing most white foreigners get... Than there is the issue of visas and not having workers rights n possible being screw over.

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:54 am It's directed at rural scbools so the cost of living will be lower, I wonder how manywill be immens to living in rural Thailand though.
A bit of me would like that more, I love the SE Asia country side ... where I would struggle is not speaking Thai
if ur hired at a thai goverment school they will handle ur visa.
2 of us live easily on around $1-1,200/month ( 32--38,000 baht) and thats in Phuket!!

Only dual pricing I encounter is entering national parks
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:33 am
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:54 am It's directed at rural scbools so the cost of living will be lower, I wonder how many will be attracted to living in rural Thailand though.
only thing you save on living rural is rent,
food is food, beer is beer, electricity is electricity
i spend quite a bit of time driving around the north and issan and hard to find anywhere thats not within 35 kms or so of a big c or tesco mall so its not like ur really out there.....
I’ve always found I get more value for my money food and drink wise up country eating out, I’m going more local for sure but vendors/restaurants don’t have city overheads like rent as you mention. Sometimes it’s just the quantity of serving you get for the same money and I often hear the Isaan girls munching in the bars complaining and they would know better than me :D

Bars are definately cheaper in my experience, again not passing on rental overhead or just charging what they know the locals can pay.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

crob wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:03 amA bit of me would like that more, I love the SE Asia country side ... where I would struggle is not speaking Thai
easy language to learn, unlike khmer
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Agree, you can sometimes get better value on eating out up north and Issan. i am constantly amazed at the quantity /quality of food i get in Chiang Khan on the Mekong.
Dishes 60-80 baht and ur eating in a restaurant overlooking the river
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

Yes, you could survive on that kind of money, but unless you can earn enough to save at least 25% of your pay, you could well find yourself cashless and homeless in the case of a pandemic, accident, illness or something like that
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic