Senator Suggests Denying Visas for Chinese Students to Study Science in U.S.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Senator Suggests Denying Visas for Chinese Students to Study Science in U.S.

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Australian universities are a joke now from what I gather. They'll accept anyone who pays, regardless whether they can speak basic English or not. Many have turned into semi-diplima mills. Denying them all is a bit over the top, but the Chinese have a long history is spying through their foreign students, that would be my main concern. An easier way to manage it all would be to stop giving bursaries or scholarships to them and increase fees even more (or limit admissions into certain technical fields, or monitor them more closely).

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Senator Suggests Denying Visas for Chinese Students to Study Science in U.S.

Post by Doc67 »

Ban Students from all technical and scientific subjects - they can buy worthless arts degrees
Ban ownership of real estate - land and residential. They distort markets for locals driving the price up. Too many with too much money
Ban ownership of companies beyond 25%. No control and no access to any sensitive industries. Do you want them owning Boeing?
Make any residence visas subject to 12 month renewals

Pretty much treat them as they treat us (apart from poisoning them).
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Brody wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:28 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:50 am Those students pay billions in fees, if you ban them many universities will face shortfalls.
Lol, billions?

Any link to that figure?
LOL. Yes lots and lots of billions, Bromide

This link good enough?
https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament ... asStudents

So maybe they are not a joke at all.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:27 pm Australian universities are a joke now from what I gather. They'll accept anyone who pays, regardless whether they can speak basic English or not. Many have turned into semi-diplima mills.
absolute rubbish ^^^
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:50 pm LOL. Yes lots and lots of billions, Bromide

This link good enough?
I suppose it is..........as was epidemiks' link which I replied in thanks to, 5 hours ago, and have since learned a new fact today.

but thanks for your snarky pile-on nonetheless.

What would be more enlightening to the discussion is whether or not you agree with the substance of the OP.

Care to proffer that? Thrill me with your acumen SternAAlbifrons.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:04 pm " If Chinese students want to come here and study Shakespeare". :D

To be or not to be, that is like the most super awesome question.
America is flooded with cheap Chinese camping gear

"Now is the winter of our discount on tents"
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:40 pm America is flooded with cheap Chinese camping gear

"Now is the winter of our discount on tents"
:lol: That pun was so horrible.....it went right back around and became brilliant.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:42 pm Ban Students from all technical and scientific subjects - they can buy worthless arts degrees
Ban ownership of real estate - land and residential. They distort markets for locals driving the price up. Too many with too much money
Ban ownership of companies beyond 25%. No control and no access to any sensitive industries. Do you want them owning Boeing?
Make any residence visas subject to 12 month renewals

Pretty much treat them as they treat us (apart from poisoning them).
Well said. :thumb:
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Brody wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:27 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:50 pm LOL. Yes lots and lots of billions, Bromide

This link good enough?
What would be more enlightening to the discussion is whether or not you agree with the substance of the OP.
Brode, I have been banging on for years about how your Senators from Arkansas and our Local Reps from Gundagai should all be standing up and singing this very thing all together in perfect harmony. (so to speak)

Did the good Senator only just now realise that hundreds of thousands of formal and informal spies have been crawling all over our science, tech, defence, higher education for 20-30 years now?
I know i have been feeling i am a pretty lone voice about this, including right here on CEO.
This is part of the smart challenge that we need need to mount - not fucking talk of broken down aircraft carriers and phantom chinese bases in Koh Kong.
In a word Brody - YES i agree with the substance of the OP and YES i am as frustrated as hell that everybody is just realising it now.

NB, Please note that I use "we/our" - meaning all of the West, not solely USA.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Doesn't the US owe China $1 trillion or so? The senator should be encouraging foreigners to come and study in the US, times are tough. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic