MARK ASPINALL Arrested after Pulling Out Gun over Drink Bill in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: MARK ASPINALL Arrested after Pulling Out Gun over Drink Bill in Phnom Penh

Post by Yerg »

Foreigner wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:12 am
John Bingham wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:56 am It's the rampant Tuberculosis which is more of an issue. Hepatitis, Giardiasis, Dysentry, Salmonella,Typhoid, Dengue Fever and parasites such as Scabies, Ticks, Bed Bugs, Hookworms, Fleas, Lice etc can be a big issue in the confined and unsanitary conditions.
There's a visible lack of class on this thread.

It seems that the guy in question split opinion on here.

There may be some for all I know who didn't like him but have shown some dignity and decency and kept their counsel, rather than rubbing it in while the man is at his lowest. There are several who seem incapable of any such circumspection, notwithstanding that they know there are others on here reading who like the guy.

Very poor form indeed imo.
I've taken the option to keep my counsel, and I don't even know him, aside from on CEO. But I don't think it's a lack of class. Let's be honest, there hasn't been a great deal to discuss that isn't COVID-related recently, so Mark has been a subject of much merriment and dare-I-say, dark humour. He certainly could hold his own, and I am fairly sure that he actually might find most of what's been said quite humorous. He's no shrinking violet, and will (no pun intended) give both barrels as and when he returns. (EDIT: I'm quite looking forward to that moment!!)

To quote JB and infer a lack of class isn't particularly nice. He's one of the longest serving expats in Cambodia, and widely regarded as a fountain of useful and useless knowledge, depending on whether you ask him nicely or not :lol:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Is he definitely locked up 24/7 in Prey Sar until trial date? Does anyone know for certain, and no one has had any contact with him.
It could be more possible that with the photos he once posted, he could be under house arrest too continue with his work schedule.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

Yerg wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:24 am
John Bingham wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:56 am It's the rampant Tuberculosis which is more of an issue. Hepatitis, Giardiasis, Dysentry, Salmonella,Typhoid, Dengue Fever and parasites such as Scabies, Ticks, Bed Bugs, Hookworms, Fleas, Lice etc can be a big issue in the confined and unsanitary conditions.

There may be some for all I know who didn't like him but have shown some dignity and decency and kept their counsel, rather than rubbing it in while the man is at his lowest. There are several who seem incapable of any such circumspection, notwithstanding that they know there are others on here reading who like the guy.

I've taken the option to keep my counsel, and I don't even know him, aside from on CEO. But I don't think it's a lack of class. Let's be honest, there hasn't been a great deal to discuss that isn't COVID-related recently, so Mark has been a subject of much merriment and dare-I-say, dark humour. He certainly could hold his own, and I am fairly sure that he actually might find most of what's been said quite humorous. He's no shrinking violet, and will (no pun intended) give both barrels as and when he returns. (EDIT: I'm quite looking forward to that moment!!)

To quote JB and infer a lack of class isn't particularly nice. He's one of the longest serving expats in Cambodia, and widely regarded as a fountain of useful and useless knowledge, depending on whether you ask him nicely or not :lol:
I don't know the guy from CEO or elsewhere (have no idea what his username was and it very likely would mean nothing to me even if I did) ! But even as an outsider, I can usually spot the difference between banterish dark humour, and spiteful retribution. Perhaps I got it wrong in this particular case (perhaps), but there's clearly instances on this thread where dark humour and camaraderie isn't the name of the game. It's none of my business, and for all I know the guy could be a complete asshole, but that's my observation, as a neutral if you like; maybe some could show a little more empathy in the circumstances. Appreciate your constructive response all the same and will try to take heed of some of your points.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Foreigner wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:51 am
Yerg wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:24 am

I don't know the guy from CEO or elsewhere (have no idea what his username was and it very likely would mean nothing to me even if I did) ! But even as an outsider, I can usually spot the difference between banterish dark humour, and spiteful retribution. Perhaps I got it wrong in this particular case (perhaps), but there's clearly instances on this thread where dark humour and camaraderie isn't the name of the game. It's none of my business, and for all I know the guy could be a complete asshole, but that's my observation, as a neutral if you like; maybe some could show a little more empathy in the circumstances. Appreciate your constructive response all the same and will try to take heed of some of your points.
It's easy to kick a man when he's down, and also without the ability to reply and defend himself, it can read quite spiteful. I think, in the main, it hasn't been meant that way. There are some posters who enjoy the travails of others, and enjoy nothing more than revelling in their downfall. Notwithstanding all the excuses and all the guff, if he did what he did, then he is enjoying the rewards that he is currently "enjoying". (He could blow and bluster on here amongst the best of them.)

His purported connections and liaisons aren't serving him so well right now, but in the fullness of time, we will all learn the truth.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Stiliko wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:16 pm Just how far off the rails are you mods gonna let this thing go?
:protest: :offtopic:
Not any further. Just trimmed 7 pages of dick waving, "My gun's bigger than your pocket knife" off topic trolling bollocks.

Let's try to keep on topic now, else we might have to lock the thread until his day in court.

:beer3:
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

I for one don't take kindly to gun slingers foreigner & don't care how much of a top bloke he supposedly maybe!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Username Taken wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:11 am
Stiliko wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:16 pm Just how far off the rails are you mods gonna let this thing go?
:protest: :offtopic:
Not any further. Just trimmed 7 pages of dick waving, "My gun's bigger than your pocket knife" off topic trolling bollocks.

Let's try to keep on topic now, else we might have to lock the thread until his day in court.

:beer3:
why was my post cut<yet Stiliko remained?
i merely pointed out that the thread was way off with gun rights, 2 amendment, knives and carrying voiced by pro trump supporters was crazy

like i said that was cut

he fucked up carrying a gun an threatening people, now he needs pay for his stupid action
I have zero sympathy for him, dont care who is was, or is
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

everybody has done stupid stuff

i bet 99% of us would have done time if the police knew every stupid thing

yes he was an idiot

ive been an idiot more than once, we all have

as far as im concerned hes already paid for his mistake
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I got the sense he possessed certain delusions of grandeur in regard to his place in the murkier waters of Cambodia. And if he did indeed pull a gun on somebody over a ten dollar bar tab, the man is insane!
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

fazur wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:40 am everybody has done stupid stuff

i bet 99% of us would have done time if the police knew every stupid thing
Without doubt.
fazur wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:40 am as far as im concerned hes already paid for his mistake
How so? I doubt the courts will take public humiliation on an internet forum into account.
Locked Previous topicNext topic