Cambodian Bird News

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian Bird News

Post by John Bingham »

I rarely see them anymore. I'll never forget sitting on the riverside and around 30 came flying across the Tonle Sap towards us. They looked like the choppers in Apocalypse Now.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:11 pm I rarely see them anymore. I'll never forget sitting on the riverside and around 30 came flying across the Tonle Sap towards us. They looked like the choppers in Apocalypse Now.
I see them a few times a week. Frequent visitors to Hotel Cambodiana and at the little shrine opposite the Royal Palace.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Bakan Grassland Officially Designated as Natural Protected Area
AKP Phnom Penh, August 04, 2023 --
Bakan grassland in Pursat province has been designated as a national protected area officially called the Bakan Protected Landscape.

The announcement on the official designation was made by Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) Cambodia, in cooperation with the Ministry of Environment and the Pursat Provincial Administration and Department of Environment.

This key move safeguards a vital habitat for biodiversity and aligns with Cambodia's commitment to the global 30x30 initiative: aiming to protect 30 percent of the Earth's land and seas by 2030, said a WCS’ news release on Friday.

According to the source, covering 38,430 hectares, comparable to the combined area of the Galapagos Islands, the Bakan Protected Landscape is a critical component of the Tonle Sap ecosystem. It is a naturally flooded grassland that becomes a dynamic aquatic habitat in the wet season. This unique environment is home to critically endangered species like the Bengal Florican, Yellow-breasted Bunting, Manchurian Reed-warbler, and Cambodia's only known population of the elusive Chinese Grassbird.

Recognising the ecological importance of this landscape since the early 2000s, WCS Cambodia and its partners have dedicated the past five years to advocating for its official protection. This marks Cambodia's first new protected area in the Tonle Sap Floodplain since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, illustrating a continued focus on preserving this ecologically significant region.

Over the last decade, the lake region has undergone significant land use changes, threatening its rich biodiversity. The Bakan Protected Landscape remains the last significant inundated natural grassland habitat in the southern part of the Tonle Sap Floodplain, underscoring the urgency and importance of its protection.

Local communities have been central to this conservation initiative. Their continued engagement has been instrumental from initial planning to the present, and they will maintain their crucial role in combining traditional practices with the conservation of this diverse ecosystem.

The official protection of the Bakan Landscape is not just a national achievement—it is a concrete step towards the global 30x30 initiative. Supported by Cambodia and over 100 other nations, this initiative is critical to bending the curve on biodiversity loss, responding to climate change, and ensuring a sustainable future for our planet.

Through the combined efforts of WCS Cambodia, the Ministry of Environment, local communities, the Rainforest Trust, the European Union’s Our Tonle Sap project, and the Margaret A. Cargill Philanthropies, this milestone symbolises the continued collaboration among conservation organisations dedicated to the landscape’s protection and community support.
(Photo: WCS)
By C. Nika
AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

A Sarus Crane Nest Found in Cambodia’s Keo Seima Wildlife Sanctuary
AKP Phnom Penh, September 04, 2023 --
A Sarus Crane nest was discovered by the wildlife monitoring team at WCS Cambodia in the Keo Seima Wildlife Sanctuary located in Sre Andoal village on the border between Mondulkiri and Kratie provinces, in August 2023.

This is the second such discovery since the first in 2020, marking a hopeful trend, said a recent news release of Keo Seima REDD+ project.

Examining the nest and eggshells, it underlined that two newborn Sarus Cranes had safely hatched and left the nest.
According to the same source, Sarus Cranes are the tallest birds on Earth, with adults reaching heights of 1.7 metres and weighing 5-12 kg. They breed during the rainy season, from May to October, usually in large wetland grasslands within wildlife sanctuaries in Cambodia. The species is listed as vulnerable on the IUCN Red List and faces numerous threats, including poisoning, deforestation, and land clearance, severely impacting their habitat, food sources, and breeding areas.
- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

A Workshop Held to Raise Awareness on Vultures’ Status in Cambodia
AKP Phnom Penh, September 26, 2023 --
An awareness workshop was held at the Royal University of Phnom Penh (RUPP) last Saturday to celebrate the International Vulture Awareness Day 2023.

Jointly organised by NatureLife Cambodia, Cambodia Vulture Working Group’s Coordinator, and the RUPP’s Centre for Biodiversity Conservation under the theme of the Vultures' Status in Cambodia and the role of vultures in the ecosystem, the workshop was aimed
1. To educate students, teachers of the RUPP, and the public about the important role of the three Cambodian vulture species, the current situation, and threats.
2. To educate and awareness of the effects of poison and the use of pesticides on humans and domestic wildlife, especially vultures.
3. To enhance the interest of university students in vulture and encourage further research study of three vulture species in Cambodia, said a press release of BirdLife International Cambodian Programme.

The workshop was conducted smoothly and participated by the representative of the Centre of Biodiversity Conservation, NGO partners, and students, a total of 90 people, and presided over by Mr. Alistair Moul, vice chair of Cambodia Vulture Working Group and WCS-country director.

Four topics were presented during this workshop by key speakers including taxonomy and global status of vultures, results of vulture conservation in Cambodia, ecotourism and vulture conservation, and vulture tagging.

The workshop was followed by a photos exhibition to inform students about vulture habitat and conservation activities in Cambodia.

Cambodia Vulture Working Group is led by Ministry of Environment, Ministry of Agriculture Forestry and Fishery, and membered by key conservation NGOs including NatureLife Cambodia, ACCB, WCS, WWF, Rising Phoenix, SVC, CBC and CBGA.

By C. Nika
AKP

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Two Green Peafowls Released into the Wild
Phnom Penh, October 04, 2023 --
Two captive-bred Green peafowls have recently been released in natural habitat of Lomphat Wildlife Sanctuary in the north-eastern part of Cambodia where REDD+ project is implemented, according to the Angkor Centre for Conservation of Biodiversity (ACCB)’s news release.

The globally Endangered Indochinese Green Peafowl (Pavo muticus imperator), arguably Cambodians most beautiful bird species, is hunted for the illegal pet trade, said the news release, adding that the species fragmented populations are rapidly declining.

“During the breeding season eight peachicks hatched from their eggs, laid by females previously rescued from the illegal wildlife trade. These young peafowl are ready to be released and we are pleased to announce that the first two birds were recently released back into their natural habitat,” the source continued.

The release was conducted in partnership with the Rattanakiri Provincial Department of Environment and the ACCB’s conservation partner, NatureLife Cambodia Organisation.

There are between 15,000 and 20,000 adult peafowls in the world and Cambodia has between 2,000 and 3,000 peafowls living particularly in wildlife sanctuaries, national parks and other protected areas in the provinces of Mondulkiri, Stung Treng, Rattanakiri and Siem Reap.
By C. Nika
AKP

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Again this afternoon on street 178, not the same but similar

I spotted it from the opposite side of the road and as soon as I'd taken this it took off and flew straight at me, striking me as it passed over my shoulder while I was still looking down at my phone. Two Khmers standing at a food cart close by seemed unsurprised.

If it doesn't like being papped then I won't push it. These things are big.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That's a Wreathed Hornbill, the previous one was a Great Hornbill.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:01 pm That's a Wreathed Hornbill, the previous one was a Great Hornbill.
The whole gang, 17-18 birds, has been roosting near the Palace for the past few weeks.
Poly keng
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Poly keng »

HORNBILL at NORDIC THREE RIVERS.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic