Cambodian Bird News

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Cambodian Bird News

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:06 pm There are also a lot of Wreathed Hornbills flying around:

And a friend spotted one of these Oriental Pied Hornbills in town recently:

Wreathed Hornbill is a male, picture of the Oriental Pied has male in front, female in the back.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Wonderful birds and sightings, I remember my first and only view of these birds, when I visited Boker, a pair took flight from the above tree canopy.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

AndyKK wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:19 pm Wonderful birds and sightings, I remember my first and only view of these birds, when I visited Boker, a pair took flight from the above tree canopy.
They are amazing birds! I remember the very first time I saw them close. I was kayaking on a lake in Thailand, birding of course, when I heard a "whoosh-whoosh-whoosh" slowly coming closer. I had no idea what the sound was at first when a family group of Great Hornbills appeared out of the mist and flew right over me. An incredible sight and one that I will remember forever. I have since seen them many times, including on Bokor (where they are common) but that first sighting!
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

hanno wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:30 pm
AndyKK wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:19 pm Wonderful birds and sightings, I remember my first and only view of these birds, when I visited Boker, a pair took flight from the above tree canopy.
They are amazing birds! I remember the very first time I saw them close. I was kayaking on a lake in Thailand, birding of course, when I heard a "whoosh-whoosh-whoosh" slowly coming closer. I had no idea what the sound was at first when a family group of Great Hornbills appeared out of the mist and flew right over me. An incredible sight and one that I will remember forever. I have since seen them many times, including on Bokor (where they are common) but that first sighting!
The first time is special. Mine was a sudden appearance of an eye seemingly looking at me, eye-level and about 10 feet from my balcony. I stumbled backwards in shock (luckily my girlfriend was still holding on to the railing), and the Hornbill seemed to say "Yeah... well you're no Brad Pitt, yourself," as he cruised by.

Dumbfounded, like the shock I felt when I was born: I didn't speak for a year and a half.

I didn't even know of the birds' existence before the sighting.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Nests and Chicks of Endangered Bird Species in Prey Lang Extended Landscape Increase
AKP Phnom Penh, June 02, 2022 --

USAID Greening Prey Lang’s bird nest protection programme conducted in the Prey Lang Extended Landscape has seen an increase in nests and chicks of endangered bird species.

According to USAID Greening Prey Lang, between June 2021 and May 2022, a total of 174 nests and 292 chicks of endangered bird species were monitored in Preah Vihear province under the programme. These numbers are higher than last year, which had 127 nests and 232 chicks monitored.

The programme recruited 72 local villagers to safeguard nesting birds and their chicks from threats during the breeding season. Species protected include Giant Ibis, White-shoulder Ibis, Sarus Crane, Lesser Adjutant, Woolly-necked Stork, and Red-headed Vulture.

USAID Greening Prey Lang pays community members a daily rate for each nest they protect. Depending on the bird species, the monitoring period takes up to three months, beginning with finding active nests with eggs and ending when the chicks have successfully fledged.

Numerous studies have shown the bird nest programme to be very effective. By engaging local communities in conservation, the programme not only improves biodiversity conservation and ecosystem health, but it also improves community livelihoods and strengthens inclusive and effective landscape governance.
- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Why this wildlife sanctuary in Cambodia is in danger – along with hundreds more worldwide
Published by surfbirds on June 2, 2022, courtesy of BirdLife International

Of the 13,000 lmportant Bird & Biodiversity Areas (IBAs) identified by BirdLife worldwide, 277 are most severely under threat. Vital sites, such as Cambodia’s Lomphat Wildlife Sanctuary, are home to globally threatened birds such as Giant Ibis and other IBA ‘trigger species’. They face the most intense pressures and need our urgent help.

Hulking past a seasonal waterhole – called trapaengs here in Cambodia – the shadowy form of a Giant Ibis probes soft mud with its immense, downcurved bill. Once this Critically Endangered waterbird has unearthed enough invertebrates, it will head deep into the forest to a treetop nest – one of 10 discovered last year at Lomphat Wildlife Sanctuary. This vast site encompasses two Important Bird and Biodiversity Areas (IBAs) – including Lomphat, an ‘IBA in Danger’ where conservation action is now more urgent than ever.

Established in 1993, Lomphat Wildlife Sanctuary carries remarkable significance for wildlife. Its 250,000 hectares form part of the Lower Mekong Dry Forests, one of the world’s 200 most important ecoregions. Roughly the size of the island of Mauritius, Lomphat intersperses dry deciduous woodland with evergreen forest, and seasonally flooded grassland with farmland. It hosts populations of not one but three Critically Endangered birds. As well as around 50 Giant Ibises – perhaps one sixth of the global population, which is almost entirely confined to Cambodia – there are internationally important numbers of White-shouldered Ibis and Red-headed Vulture.

Lomphat’s list of avian VIPs doesn’t stop there. Vorsak Bou, CEO of NatureLife Cambodia (BirdLife Partner) identifies a series of globally threatened birds that “depend on the Lomphat IBA, including using its waterholes for drinking and foraging during the dry season”. Families of the world’s tallest flying bird, Sarus Crane (Vulnerable), elegantly lope through the grasslands. Both Greater Adjutant (Endangered) and Lesser Adjutant (Vulnerable) stalk the channels. Under the forest canopy, the scintillating Green Peafowl (Endangered) strides purposefully.

And then there are other globally threatened taxa, including Siamese Crocodile (Critically Endangered), Asian Elephant (Endangered) and two bovids, Banteng (Endangered) and Gaur (Vulnerable). At Lomphat, even the supporting cast are stars.
https://www.surfbirds.com/community-blo ... worldwide/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

7 Red-headed and 2 White-rumped Vultures Found in Srepok Wildlife Sanctuary
AKP Phnom Penh, June 13, 2022 --
Seven red-headed vultures and 2 white-rumped vultures have been discovered in the Srepok Wildlife Sanctuary in Mondulkiri province, the Provincial Environment Department said.
This is the first time that researchers from the department with the support of WWF have spotted white-rumped vultures after a two-year absence, the same source said, adding that they had previously seen only red-headed vultures there.

A nationwide census, conducted in 2021 at four vulture restaurants – Siem Pang Wildlife Sanctuary of Stung Treng, Chheb Wildlife Sanctuary of Preah Vihear, Sambo Wildlife Sanctuary of Kratie, and Srepok Wildlife Sanctuary of Mondulkiri – showed that Cambodia had 121 vultures, including 20 Red-headed vultures, 66 White-rumped vultures, and 35 Slender-billed vultures.

Cambodia vulture censuses are undertaken on March 10, June 10, June 20, September 20, and December 20 each year.

All vulture species in the Kingdom are protected under the Cambodian law. The Royal Government has banned the veterinary sale and use of diclofenac (whilst harmless to cattle and other livestock, results in death of vultures if they feed on a carcass of an animal previously treated with this drug) in the country in order to safeguard the remaining Cambodian vulture population.
- AKP

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Third 2022 vulture census underway
Voun Dara | Publication date 19 June 2022 | 20:29 ICT
A team of wildlife conservationists on June 17 started the third of five annual vulture counts, to collect data and prepare conservation plans for the three critically-endangered species found in Cambodia.

The census will be simultaneously conducted at four locations: Sambor Wildlife Sanctuary in Kratie province, Siem Pang Wildlife Sanctuary in Stung Treng province, Chheb Wildlife Sanctuary in Preah Vihear province and Srepok Wildlife Sanctuary in Mondulkiri province.

Environment ministry secretary of state Neth Pheaktra and representatives of World Wide Fund for Nature Cambodia (WWF-Cambodia) and NatureLife Cambodia are to take part in the census in Sambor Wildlife Sanctuary.

“The annual vulture censuses serve to gain a better understanding of the changes in the number of vultures in Cambodia, to make conservation easier and take measures to protect these rare species,” said Pheaktra.

He said that 2021 census data indicated that there were 121 vultures in the four natural protected areas: 20 red-headed (Sarcogyps calvus), 35 slender-billed (Gyps tenuirostris), and 66 white-rumped (Gyps bengalensis). All three species are listed as “critically endangered” in the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.

The population has ranged between 120 and 140 since 2014.

The August 2021 vulture count found 41 specimens in Sambor Wildlife Sanctuary alone, comprising all three species, doubling from the 20 found in the previous census in late June of the same year.

Cambodia could very well be the last hope for the Old World vultures, with research and conservation efforts to protect the birds beginning in earnest in 2004, when a survey estimated the population at 162. Although numbers soared to 289, the 2011-2014 period witnessed a concerning drop.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... s-underway

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:59 pm UPDATE below on this Kampot Crane Rice Field initiative
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:41 am "Crane Rice Field" Initiative Preserves Cranes and Promote Local Livelihood
AKP Phnom Penh, July 24, 2021 --
The Ministry of Environment and wild life conservation partners are initiating a so-called Crane Rice Field to preserve the crane, one of world's most threatened birds, in Cambodia.

During his site visit to the crane rice fields at Anlung Pring protected area in Kampong Trach district, Kampot province yesterday, H.E. Neth Pheaktra, Secretary of State and Spokesperson at the Ministry of Environment appreciated the initiative and was optimistic that it will not only help preserve the bird, but also promote local livelihood.

A specific rice species eaten by the crane is grown at the fields rented from the local farmers who themselves do the farming and will also benefit from sale of half of their crops, while the remaining half will be kept to feed the crane and the next harvest season.

According to Mr. Bou Vorsak, acting Executive Director of NatureLife Cambodia, so far about 17 hectares of rice field have been rented for ten years and 16 local farmer households have been engaged in the initiative.

If succeeded, the project executed by the Ministry of Environment in collaboration with NatureLife Cambodia and BirdLife International through the support from the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Netherlands will be scaled up.

Calling on active participation among the local - a key to the success of the initiative - H.E. Neth Pheaktra stressed that his ministry will work with concerned stakeholders to identify broader markets for the rice produced.

The rice specie grown is unique in the sense that it is completely organic and it was grown to save cranes that have been included in the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species, he continued.

IUCN Land Programme Coordinator Mr. Marc Hoogeslag said that to address the overuse of natural resource, it requires a balance between the needs of humans and animals. So, the Crane Rice Field project is a good example of the effort.
(Photo: Ministry of Environment)
By Lim Nary
AKP
Good news!
95% success rate for NGO’s rice-buying, crane-conservation scheme
Post Staff | Publication date 25 December 2021 | 17:36 ICT

National conservation organisation NatureLife Cambodia has announced that more than 95 per cent of southeastern Kampot farmers participating in its Crane Rice project had qualified for a scheme, where the NGO buys a share of unharvested rice crop at above market rates, which is left for sarus cranes to feast on.

National conservation organisation NatureLife Cambodia has announced that more than 95 per cent of southeastern Kampot farmers participating in its Crane Rice project had qualified for a scheme, where the NGO buys a share of unharvested rice crop at above market rates, which is left for sarus cranes to feast on.

The sarus crane (Antigone antigone) is listed on the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species as “Vulnerable”.

The Crane Rice project was initiated to reinforce conservation efforts for the birds, and improve the local livelihoods of farmers in Anlung Pring Protected Landscape, of Kampot province’s Kampong Trach district near the border with Vietnam’s Kien Giang province.

However, the NGO has set 12 criteria for participants to be eligible for the associated purchasing scheme.

Under the Crane Rice project, rice growers are to leave five per cent of their crop unharvested for the cranes to feed on the grains from the stalks, which NatureLife Cambodia pays for at above market rate – but only if all the criteria are met.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ion-scheme
UPDATE
Community Crane Rice members are increased to 88 families
At Wat Thmor Bek in Boeung Sala Khang Tbong commune, Kampong Trach district, Kampot province, on June 27, 2022, Natural Life in Cambodia, in collaboration with the Cambodian Rural Development Organization, provided rice seeds and organic fertilizer to 88 rice farmers.

The Mith Kriel Rice Project aims to conserve endangered cranes by providing safe havens and additional food, as well as contributing to the promotion and support of community livelihoods. The rice and fertilizer distribution program was attended by the Board of Governors of Kampong Trach District, relevant offices of Kampong Trach District, commune chiefs, village chiefs, relevant people and representatives of 55 partner organizations.
On this occasion, Mr. Khim Samy, Deputy Governor of Kampong Trach District, mentioned the importance and presence of cranes in the wetlands in Anlong Pring community, which attract both technical and financial support from national and international organizations.

As proof of its success, in the second year, the crane rice project has increased the number of members from 41 families to 88 families.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

ALERT
Sarus Crane nest destroyed
Cambodia News, Ratanakkiri: Earlier this month, a Sarus Crane nest was found at the Lumphat Wildlife Sanctuary, but three days later the nest had been destroyed and the eggs were gone.
Every year, crane nests are found, but destruction and egg theft also occur every year. Join us to protect the forest and wildlife at Lumphat Wildlife Sanctuary !!!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic