Cambodian Bird News

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian Bird News

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Giant Ibis Census 2022 - Lomphat Wildlife Santuary
Cambodia News, Ratanakkiri: The giant Ibis is the national bird of Cambodia and is listed as a critically endangered species. It is important to understand the population trend of this important bird during the non-breeding season to gain essential information that will contribute to developing an effective conservation action plan for the species.
Currently, NatureLife Cambodia organization is conducting the second giant ibis census in Lomphat Wildlife Sanctuary, the first one was held in 2019.
Field data collection has been done from January to March 2022, and NatureLife Cambodia expects to release the report at the end of this year.

Note that the result of the 2019 census estimated that the Lomphat Wildlife Sanctuary supported at least 32 adult giant ibis.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia Ibis Working Group to be Formed
AKP Phnom Penh, April 21, 2022 --
Major wildlife conservation organisations have expressed their support and joined the Ministry of Environment to establish Cambodia Ibis Working Group to strengthen the conservation of this giant bird species.

According to NatureLife Cambodia Organisation, the working group formulation was discussed in a recent consultation meeting between major wildlife conservation organisations in Cambodia.

Through this meeting, all participants gained more knowledge about the current conservation status and threats to the Giant Ibis and White Shouldered Ibis at key sites in Cambodia.

Cambodia Ibis Working Group is aimed to leverage resources and scale up the conservation to prevent the endangered bird species in the country.

The major wildlife conservation organisations participating in the meeting included NatureLife Cambodia (Birdlife in Cambodia), Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), Angkor Centre for Conservation of Biodiversity (ACCB), World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), and Rising Phoenix with CEPF (Critical Ecosystem Partnership Fund)’s support through NatureLife Cambodia.

Giant Ibis is a critically endangered bird species declared Cambodia's national bird, and conservation efforts are crucial to its protection.
(photo: NatureLife Cambodia)
By Lim Nary
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

May 3, 2022
Birdlife to publish guidebook on endangered bird species

The Birds of Boeng Prek Lapov Protected Landscape (BPL) guidebook is the first publication by NatureLife Cambodia produced in collaboration with the Provincial Department of Environment of Takeo.

The guidebook primarily showcases the abundance of bird species in the BPL to the general public, but it is also a reference for students, researchers and decision makers.

The book contains photographs of birds accompanied by key information related to bird distribution, migratory behaviour and when birds are in the area, basic identification, and conservation status of each species.

Bird status is classified into five categories according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s (IUCN) Red List, which are of Least Concern (LC), Near Threatened (NT), Vulnerable (VU), Endangered (EN), and Critically Endangered (CR).

The photographs represent 86 of the 132 species that have been observed by the monitoring team of NatureLife Cambodia and BPL rangers in the last 15 years.

Choy Munly, director of Takeo provincial department of the environment, said that the guidebook has photographs taken by a ranger, while the authors are young Khmer researchers. The aim of researchers and contributors is to improve knowledge about the birds.
https://www.akp.gov.kh/post/detail/253226

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The 5th Crane Festival was successfully organized in Anlung Pring Protected Landscape
This annual event was organized on 19 May 2022 at Kok Thnoat primary school with participation and presided by deputy Kampong Trach governor, CEO of NatureLife Cambodia, country director of WWT, representative of CRDT, Director of Anlung Pring protected landscape, representative of district education office, local authorities, school principals, teachers, and kids from two primary schools (Thmor Beurk and Kok Thnoat), in total more than 300 people.
This event was organized with the object to join with the world in the celebration of #WorldMigratoryBirdDay and to raise awareness among young people and enhance local support for the conservation of the venerable sarus crane in Cambodia.
The day included painting competitions for the kids, a fun run, games for all, sarus crane costumes, and many prizes.
A good time was had by all, and all for a good cause!
BirdLife International Cambodia Programme

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

What's the story with those oversized Toucans. Are they migratory? I still have the image of the first one I saw - eye-sore - flying close to my balcony and making eye contact. Aesthetically challenged, I'm sure they find each other attractive.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:21 pm What's the story with those oversized Toucans. Are they migratory? I still have the image of the first one I saw - eye-sore - flying close to my balcony and making eye contact. Aesthetically challenged, I'm sure they find each other attractive.
No Toucans in Cambodia or Asia. I guess you mean the Hornbills? Pets of some VIP in PP. They are not migratory but travel far for food.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I saw about 30 hornbills flying across the Tonle Sap a week ago. It was quite a sight.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

hanno wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:04 pm
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:21 pm What's the story with those oversized Toucans. Are they migratory? I still have the image of the first one I saw - eye-sore - flying close to my balcony and making eye contact. Aesthetically challenged, I'm sure they find each other attractive.
No Toucans in Cambodia or Asia. I guess you mean the Hornbills? Pets of some VIP in PP. They are not migratory but travel far for food.
Weird, I saw a dozen or so Hornbills yesterday, after my post. They were flying low over the traffic and near buildings, and look clumsy, and I probably watched them for about 15 minutes. One was on a thin branch, eating. They look heavy and the branch was straining, so I waited for his take-off which I figured would require more pressure on the limb. But he actually didn't push off; he just dropped, wings spread, and swooped into flight. Not his first rodeo.

May have been a her.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:10 pm
hanno wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:04 pm
Weird, I saw a dozen or so Hornbills yesterday, after my post. They were flying low over the traffic and near buildings, and look clumsy, and I probably watched them for about 15 minutes. One was on a thin branch, eating. They look heavy and the branch was straining, so I waited for his take-off which I figured would require more pressure on the limb. But he actually didn't push off; he just dropped, wings spread, and swooped into flight. Not his first rodeo.

May have been a her.
I am guessing they were Great Hornbills. I've seen big flocks in trees that looked to fragile to support a sparrow, never mind a fully-grown Hornbill weighing in at 3kg. Males and females can actually be told apart: the casque of a female is somewhat smaller and lacks the black front of the male.

Female

Male
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There are also a lot of Wreathed Hornbills flying around:

And a friend spotted one of these Oriental Pied Hornbills in town recently:

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic