Cambodian Bird News

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Cambodian Bird News

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

For sure, Hanno.
Look at that shit eating grin.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

What an asshole. That's a bird is beautiful.. Until today I had never seen a hornbill I liked the appearance of but this variant if gorgeous.
hanno wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:46 pm And that’s it. He will be back out hunting before the ink on the letter is dry.
I truly hope not. To me, hunting is okay if it's legal. But hunting protected animals and not on protected land is deplorrible. I sure hope he paid a stiff fine although I do not see that mentioned. Fining these people is what truly seems to change them in my experience.
Still here, in country...
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Hunting is a vital part of wildlife management. It’s the duty of every hunter to play that part and preserve nature for the generations beyond.

But this isn’t management. It’s outright destruction.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:36 am Hunting is a vital part of wildlife management. It’s the duty of every hunter to play that part and preserve nature for the generations beyond.
perhaps when theres a surplus as in some countries but not when the existing wildlife has been almost destroyed

Se asians and chinese dont seem to care about conservation much
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Photo spotted in Khmer media; the victim's identity has been carefully pixelated.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh: At 12:29 pm on 19 June 2020, the Cambodian Ministry of Environment released photos of rare Sarus cranes in Cambodia; a bird species that is endangered and carefully protected from extinction. Sarus Crane prefer to live and nest eggs on wetland grasslands and enjoy eating mussels.
The wet season is also the season for their reproduction, and special care must be taken to allow these distinctive red-headed birds to mate and nest in peace, in order to reproduce.
The adult crane is 176cm tall and weighs over 6kg.
Photographs: Phnom Penh Post
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:29 am Image
Phnom Penh: At 12:29 pm on 19 June 2020, the Cambodian Ministry of Environment released photos of rare Sarus cranes in Cambodia; a bird species that is endangered and carefully protected from extinction. Sarus Crane prefer to live and nest eggs on wetland grasslands and enjoy eating mussels.
The wet season is also the season for their reproduction, and special care must be taken to allow these distinctive red-headed birds to mate and nest in peace, in order to reproduce.
Did a census in Takeo a few years ago and counted 480 Sarus Cranes. That won’t happen again...
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

hanno wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:22 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:29 am Image
Did a census in Takeo a few years ago and counted 480 Sarus Cranes. That won’t happen again...
@hanno Can you tell us more about that census ? I think I'm not the only one here interested in Cambodia's rare species and the reasons why they are dying out. Habitat loss and hunting are the logical suspects I suppose.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:02 pm@hanno Can you tell us more about that census ? I think I'm not the only one here interested in Cambodia's rare species and the reasons why they are dying out. Habitat loss and hunting are the logical suspects I suppose.
Every year, the Sarus Cranes are counted on the same day across Cambodia to get a handle on how many there are. This is done when they are on their wintering grounds as they are pretty hard to find when breeding. The two areas with the most cranes are Takeo and Ang Traepang Thmor. The biggest threat is habitat loss, both on the breeding and wintering grounds.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Thanks. They look really amazing. :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic