Foreign Couple Called Out for Living "Illegally" on Oral Mountain

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Foreign Couple Called Out for Living "Illegally" on Oral Mountain

Post by AndyKK »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:22 pm Andy, the guys camp either in the middle of nowhere, or in a village by asking for permission first and buying supplies from them. I've done it several times. I've also gone up Oral many times and you are expected to either take one of their local guides (helps provide them an income), or let them know when you're going and how long you'll be there. It's fair enough as they're the ones who end up saving people's lives if something goes wrong (and they've done it many times). They frequently get calls from authorities in PP that for example, a Korean guy is missing, did you guys see him? Then they have to go track him down on the mountain, totally lost and down to his underwear, quite dehydrated after five days. They're seen as "responsible" if someone dies. The place is also considered sacred in many ways.

I think for many long-term expats, the original allure of Cambodia was the lack of such "rules" that you might encounter in the west or Thailand. Unlike many years ago, the track is now easy to follow, even for inexperienced hikers. That being said, you should respect local customs and these two obviously aren't and will ruin it for everyone. I've slept in villages and villager's houses many times when in a pinch, but always ask prior and pay them, and obviously you shouldn't overstay your welcome. It doesn't matter if the two vegans think they're reconnecting with nature, they're obviously worrying the locals so should come to their senses and descend ASAP. There are common formalities to follow and I suspect they don't speak Khmer, adding to the confusion. It pisses me off because people acting selfishly like this is what makes new rules and bureaucracy emerge. They should have stuck to Kampot as mentioned beforehand.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus don't get me wrong here, I could not agree with you more in what you are saying, that's what I was meaning by the pitching of a tent, that what I have done a number of times before, being a certified outdoor instructor, but not here, and I draw the line to do some certain things independently in this country, because I am well aware of the dangers it can hold even for the experienced of the people of the country itself, that being the whom are used to their environment. I personally am happy to take my independent photo journeys, but someone always knows of my whereabouts.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

I’m not sure whether it is an issue in that particular location, but then again I’m pretty sure there is a chance that they didn’t consider the UXO situation before wandering off the beaten path and hammering their tent pegs into the ground
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Bluenose wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:10 pm I’m not sure whether it is an issue in that particular location, but then again I’m pretty sure there is a chance that they didn’t consider the UXO situation before wandering off the beaten path and hammering their tent pegs into the ground
Personally I would worry about the snake's more, but then again also the people now that they don't want them there.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

You can't just pitch up in a forest or on a hill here and stay. Especially Phnom Aural. You need permission from the landowner and in this case it is probably state land. This is the same as in Europe and other places. Foreign residents often come under the impression that this country is out of control and nobody knows what is happening but I believe the opposite. The wars might have ended 20 years ago but at a local level the security forces have a very good hang on what's going on. The new rules on foreigner registration might root out a few over stayers but for those of us who have been here a while the authorities know exactly where you are already. I'm not a fan of authoritarianism but it is what it is.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

How easy and "legal" would it be to do something like that in the USA or Canada, somewhere near a source of drinking water ?
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

In the USA if you are in a federal park...you pay at the front gate..
If you are in a state park you follow the rules that are posted.
Obviously, if it is private land you need the owner's permission.
Camping is easy..
These people need to follow the rules...
Simple..
Ignorance maybe bliss...but it is not an excuse.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Don't see an issue with people self-sustaining and living in the woods, assuming they aren't living on some holy or culturally important lands.

I'd put it far down the list of issues to be concerned with.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: Foreign Couple Called Out for Living

Post by Captain Bonez »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:30 am Most expats fall into the old and sick category.
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:29 pm How easy and "legal" would it be to do something like that in the USA or Canada, somewhere near a source of drinking water ?
Real easy. I've done it many times. But not in this era of a mass shooting happening every day on average in the US. Granted these are mostly in "zip codes" where you would never pitch a tent anyway.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Foreign Couple Called Out for Living

Post by John Bingham »

Captain Bonez wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:35 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:30 am Most expats fall into the old and sick category.
He's just trying to compensate for his micropenis. :lol:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic