The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Curry Club

Post by AndyKK »

Food Panda, let's see how they do! I said a few posts above, they have delivered me three meals up to date, last night, no way could I get a delivery, anyone else have problems using them?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I tried again with foodpanda, and in look they expected my order. I wonder why they didn't the other night, possible it may have been due to the weather. Anyway no real drama.
Coriander Indian Restaurant was the choice of food, being relatively closer to me and offering the larger discount then the other Indian places on the foodpanda menu.
The food arrived on time and warm. I had too ordered a bit of an assortment.

This turned out a good meal, no complaint from me, I also cooked some home made Chips too to accompany the meal. The order -

There is a good saving by ordering from foodpanda, if I was to go collect the food myself, it would cost me the fuel, plus there's no discount like above on offer.
The food gave us both 3 satisfying meals, so in the end it's not a large expense, just over $5 per sitting for two.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

How does Mrs Andy like Indian, Andy?
And your average Khmer generally?

Looks nice, even tho' my stomach still heaves at the sight.
(something on my last trip to india 38 years ago did that)
I'll join you in a fetid and fecund Jurian smashup tho'.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:05 am I tried again with foodpanda, and in look they expected my order. I wonder why they didn't the other night, possible it may have been due to the weather. Anyway no real drama.
Coriander Indian Restaurant was the choice of food, being relatively closer to me and offering the larger discount then the other Indian places on the foodpanda menu.
The food arrived on time and warm. I had too ordered a bit of an assortment.

This turned out a good meal, no complaint from me, I also cooked some home made Chips too to accompany the meal. The order -

There is a good saving by ordering from foodpanda, if I was to go collect the food myself, it would cost me the fuel, plus there's no discount like above on offer.
The food gave us both 3 satisfying meals, so in the end it's not a large expense, just over $5 per sitting for two.
I decided to have a poke around on Food Panda to see if Coriander is still doing that discount and I can't even find them, discount or not. They have a odd search facility, I can't seem to isolate just Indian restaurants. Any advice?

(There are some serious discounts though, 40% of a couple of places.)

EDIT UPDATE... Coriander has now popped up, albeit with a 20% discount. I get the feeling that Food Panda are very controlling of what you get to see, no doubt based on selling restaurants promotional 'bumps'..

Also, I had a look at some of their pre discount prices which look a bit odd. For example, a couple of Daal Curries starts off at $5.50 and $5 and gets discounted to $3.30 and $3 respectively, yet a Mutton curry is $6 with no discount. Daal, or lentils, is as cheap as it gets so I cant see it being a $5.50 dish.

Are these their in-house prices or are they being ramped up on the website and then given a bogus discount?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

how can a restaurant have a total of $28.25 for the bill, yet if you order via food panda you only pay $16.95 and NO delivery charge?

do you tip as well?

40% discount>>
Doesn't make sense
....are the servings smaller if food panda delivers? or are they artificial prices?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:41 am how can a restaurant have a total of $28.25 for the bill, yet if you order via food panda you only pay $16.95 and NO delivery charge?

do you tip as well?

40% discount>>
Doesn't make sense
....are the servings smaller if food panda delivers? or are they artificial prices?
I'm thinking the latter, simply because $5.50 for a Daal seemed very expensive. Below is the Daal section of the take away menu from
Sher-E-Punjab in street 130 and their Daal's are $3 to $3.50, which is exactly what the price is after the 40% "discount" is applied. I smell a rat...

Having said that, the prices Andy paid seem normal and the discount does make them very good value indeed. I think caveat emptor when you see high discounts.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

a profitable well run restaurant operates on food costs under 35%.
how can they give away 40%?

so a $6 Thali plate.... cost are around $2.10
if their selling it via food panda for $3.6 + paying the guy to deliver it AND gas...
really small margins

Just dont get it....I must be missing something
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^Will try to answer all -
SternAAlbifrons - India, I too have an everlasting memory of having a good dose of food poisoning, dysentery it may have been with the same symptoms.
Has for Mrs Andy, no, she does not like in general, even the bissmatti rice is nowhere near as good has Cambodian rice to her. But some parts of the meal must appeal, because she eats well, but has the habit of leaving some on her plate to remind me she doesn't like Indian food.
Some Khmer must enjoy Indian food, because I do see them eating in the reastaurnts. But in general I would say, overall Khmers do not particularly like Indian foods. But! What of this, there dailey diet is probably, (I say this because of other outside influence) based on the old Indian food, with the settlers of Angkor. I would have thought the food may have possibly, being influenced from that period, again with what is grown locally, and the infusion of cooking from nearby countries.

Doc67 and phuketrichard - Quote - how can a restaurant have a total of $28.25 for the bill, yet if you order via food panda you only pay $16.95 and NO delivery charge?
Answer too this question, I have no idea at all. All I do know if I go myself to the restaurants I would pay more for the food than food panda can deliver it to me for free, and also the delivery guys seem to be particularly keen on making sure all is correct with the order, particularly with the sauces accompanying the starters. Yes I tip the rider $1.
Not artificial prices, and discounts are verrible on the restaurant and day, Namaste India (BKK) would be my choice for today with the discount and on lamb dishes too -

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Just done a little looking around at prices for the before mentioned restaurant.

Pricing differs from menu to menu. This brings me back too previous problems, when I have said at restaurants "that is not the price" online! I have been given so many example of really unexplained shit, even when I have read their takeaway menu, but the staff and owners will look you in the eye and deny they have such a menu.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Just a couple of thoughts on the discounted deliveries.
Many restaurants have shifted to a parallel model. (effectively, if not formally) They dont cost take-aways or deliveries as part of the restaurant biz. its separated.
Costs are far lower if you do not have to run a serviced restaurant - so the respective meals are priced accordingly.

Secondly - competition is fierce for the home delivery dollar, and it is such a crucial part of the industry today that restaurants have to partake - so prices reflect that desperate competition.
It's a buyers market yum yum

enjoy it while you can, it will probable settle out into cartel situation before too long - or else turn into a race to the bottom for price and quality
or it could stay good maybe
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic