The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Curry Club

Post by Doc67 »

hanno wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:01 am
Doc67 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:11 pmThis lot are barely trained khmer that wont/cant follow a strict recipe and have NO IDEA of what it should taste like. Otherwise it's just lazy Indians that think we dont know the difference.
I have been to at least 10 different Indian/Nepali/Bangladeshi/whatever (not only are the menus identical, almost every restaurant now also claims to do Nepali kitchen which basically means they have Momos as a starter); and I have yet to see any Khmer staff. Every restaurant seems to have way to many staff from the sub-continent, both in the kitchen and in the restaurant. Always have wondered about the work permit situation; surely there are no work permits for service staff?
I know you did the rounds when you first got here, so which is the best of a fairly mediocre bunch? My old favourite, Sheer-E-Punjab, has deteriorated of late and to the point where it all tastes the same.

Also, did you get to Masala Dosa, the vegan place on street 3, near the Museum?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:06 am
hanno wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:01 am
Doc67 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:11 pmThis lot are barely trained khmer that wont/cant follow a strict recipe and have NO IDEA of what it should taste like. Otherwise it's just lazy Indians that think we dont know the difference.
I have been to at least 10 different Indian/Nepali/Bangladeshi/whatever (not only are the menus identical, almost every restaurant now also claims to do Nepali kitchen which basically means they have Momos as a starter); and I have yet to see any Khmer staff. Every restaurant seems to have way to many staff from the sub-continent, both in the kitchen and in the restaurant. Always have wondered about the work permit situation; surely there are no work permits for service staff?
I know you did the rounds when you first got here, so which is the best of a fairly mediocre bunch? My old favourite, Sheer-E-Punjab, has deteriorated of late and to the point where it all tastes the same.

Also, did you get to Masala Dosa, the vegan place on street 3, near the Museum?
Sher-E-Punjab has been on the slide since before the khmer help got burned to death in the kitchen almost ten years ago. It's always been the favorite of many barang here over the years and at very best its been no better than mediocre

I guess many of the restaurants have become greedy. After all they can sell a shitty thaly to a punter for $5-8 where in India it would sell for maybe $1.50-2

A common tactic is the same base sauce for all dishes whether a butter chicken or a korma or a vindaloo. Sold on premise that it's low cost and customers won't know the difference. Most prob don't...
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Agreed, Sheri e Punjab has gone south, I like the guys working there so feel reluctant to complain. Coriander and Curry Pot also don't work for me. Swagat, I know gets decent reviews which I find overrated. The couple of joints along the Riverside don't deserve a mention. So, that leaves Namaste and Flavors of India (63), which remain consistent. All subjective of course.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Flavors is good. Dosa corner is good. Taste budz used to be good but I can't go back there lol
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Sher-E-Punjab is on my blacklist. I went just after I arrived and got extremely rude service. I let it slide, everyone can have a bad day. But then the same thing happened two weeks ago. Not worth going as I agree with Jerry: they have been on the slide.

Also agree that many restaurants cut corners (and costs) by using a base sauce and a base meat for all their curries (I often get Tandoori chicken in my currios, can even see the hole from the skewer).

I do go to Kathmandu Kitchen quite often as it is 400 meters from where I live. Food is mediocre but the service is great (even though it is the same owners like Sher-E-Punjab).

I like Haveli/Gorkha Palace across Namaste; the owner is very friendly and food is decent.

I went to New Season Restaurant last Sunday. Food was OK but portions were huge and prices very reasonable. Also the best and biggest Naan I have had in PP so far.

I need to try Dakshins. It used to be the best Indian in SR but was not great the last couple of times I went; the owner is in PP now. Heard mixed reviews.

I also really want to try Bombay Bistro; their website looks promising. I initially went there Sunday, but they are moving to another location and there is no opening date yet.
verdebandit
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by verdebandit »

Personally I like bjma even if I'm one of the punters buying a thali.

Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

verdebandit wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:01 am Personally I like bjma even if I'm one of the punters buying a thali.

BJMA is actually open 24 hours. Their biriani was surprisingly good.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:44 am Flavors is good. Dosa corner is good. Taste budz used to be good but I can't go back there lol
Oh do share :D
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:22 am
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:44 am Flavors is good. Dosa corner is good. Taste budz used to be good but I can't go back there lol
Oh do share :D

Nothing terrible on my part, I took some Indian colleagues (at that time) there and one of them was appallingly rude to the wait staff for the duration and went so far as to slap one of them over confusing his request for "fish fry" with French fries...

I never took that guy to eat again
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

That's hilarious 😂
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic