The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Re: The Curry Club

Post by Gazzy »

I'll just say, Coriander is great food, and the people are the nicest.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

truffledog wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:56 pm
cant dispute the taste...but it looks horrible. Unfortunately no pic of the rice and the curry.
Not going to argue that, most foods delivered in a plastic container will look a little naff....
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

In the good old days when people were in quarantine some took plates with then , once the food was on a plate it looked respectable and almost eatable.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

atst wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:34 pm In the good old days when people were in quarantine some took plates with then , once the food was on a plate it looked respectable and almost eatable.
I work in a hotel and I am sure I could have rustled up a plate and some cutlery, but I was starving :wink:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I really like Indian food and eat it at least a couple of times a week. However I don't think it's ever all that "photogenic" , especially outside of a formal/ restaurant setting.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:08 pm I really like Indian food and eat it at least a couple of times a week. However I don't think it's ever all that "photogenic" , especially outside of a formal/ restaurant setting.
This. There is only so much you can do with a curry or a daal. Even in the restaurants the presentation is usually not great.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

hanno wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:17 am
John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:08 pm I really like Indian food and eat it at least a couple of times a week. However I don't think it's ever all that "photogenic" , especially outside of a formal/ restaurant setting.
This. There is only so much you can do with a curry or a daal. Even in the restaurants the presentation is usually not great.
Eat with one’s eyes closed, and enhance the other senses.
Some foods are visually appealing, which is great line of sight advertising. Other foods’ reach is much greater. When/where I was at college, there was a large Asian market nearby, and the aromas?! Trying to concentrate on dull text when there is that much colour in the air, all day long…
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Kulfi I ate in Bombay. It was served wrapped in a sheet of plastic film, but it was the best I've ever tasted.

Presentation has its place, but the proof of the pudding...
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I love a dal curry despite the fact it looks just like suckling calfs dihherria
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Gorkha Palace (formerly Haveli Indian Cuisine)
#Eo E1, St, 308
Tel.: 081 318 763
Service: 5/5
Food 5/5
Value for money: 5/5
Starters: $1.50 - $5.00\
Main course: $4.50 - $10.00
Breads: $0.75 - $5,00

Start of another week, time for some more Indian food. I googled “Indian restaurants near me” and Haveli Indian Cuisine popped up. Walked to the address but no Haveli. But looking at pictures, this is the same restaurant with a different name. As far as I can tell, the name is all that changed. They bill themselves as an authentic Nepalese and Indian restaurant so I decided to give it a shot instead of the Namaste just opposite.

I was greeted by the very enthusiastic owner or manager. He stayed attentive throughout my meal and it was a huge difference from the grumpy service I had in other Indian restaurants in Phnom Penh so far. Before my drink arrived, I was given a snack. A little oily but I ate it all. My waistline will thank me later.

I ordered a banana lassi and it was one of the best lassis I have had. Many restaurants buy yoghurt off the shelf and it just doesn’t taste right. This one had the tang that comes from a homemade lassi. My only small gripe was that it could have been a little colder.

I ordered the chicken Momo as a starter/ The same friendly owner/manager informed me that they would take 15 minutes to prepare. They were well worth the wait. They were small, wondrous pillows of delight. $4.50 but it was a very generous portion and worth the money.

None of the Nepalese main courses really excited me and I played it safe with a chicken Thali. $6.00 got me chicken curry, vegetable curry, rice, and Daal. According to the menu it was also supposed to come with a garlic Naan but I just got a plain Naan. I thought it was great value for money. I did nit manage to finish all, the Momos did me in.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic