The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Curry Club

Post by AndyKK »

hanno wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:59 pm No Thai restaurants here either so I made myself a Massaman Curry, on of my favorite Thai curries (couldn't find beef so chicken had to do):

I like Massaman Curry, and I prefer pork. But I would say my overall favorite is Panang.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

AndyKK wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:40 pm
hanno wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:59 pm No Thai restaurants here either so I made myself a Massaman Curry, on of my favorite Thai curries (couldn't find beef so chicken had to do):

I like Massaman Curry, and I prefer pork. But I would say my overall favorite is Panang.
Agreed, Panang curry is very nice. But I had my first Massaman in Hala Bala National Park many years ago and I think it was the best curry I have had in Thailand.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Had a visit today too Champei Garden Restaurant, Chbar Ampov.

Nice curry and good price.

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Madras curry is said to originate from the south of India, and gets its name from the city of Madras (now Chennai).

Vegetable Samoa -

Lamb Madras -
pootylicious
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pootylicious »

AndyKK wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:35 pm Beef karahi. a flavoursome Pakistani dish, with always lots of meat, would be normally accompanied by Naan bread. I have gone for the lighter chapatti.
ey holdup , where was this at the Taj Majal posted above?? I need to try this
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Pakistani beef korma, with brown rice and poppadom -

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Korma has its roots in the Mughlai cuisine of the Indian subcontinent. A characteristic Mughal dish, it can be traced back to the 16th century and to the Mughal incursions into the region. Kormas were often prepared in the Mughal court kitchens, such as the famous white korma, perhaps garnished with vark, said to have been served to Shah Jahan and his guests at the inauguration of the Taj Mahal.
Classically, a korma is defined as a dish where meat or vegetables are braised with yogurt or stock. The technique covers many different styles of korma. The flavour of a korma is based on a mixture of spices, including ground coriander and cumin, combined with yogurt kept below curdling temperature and incorporated slowly and carefully with the meat juices. Traditionally, this would have been carried out in a pot set over a very low fire, with charcoal on the lid to provide all-round heat. A korma can be mildly spiced or fiery and may use lamb, goat meat, chicken, beef or game; some kormas combine meat and vegetables such as spinach and turnip. The term Shahi (English: Royal), used for some kormas indicates its status as a prestige dish, rather than an everyday meal, and its association with the court.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korma
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

I like Korma but they're always too sweet here.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Talking of mild and hot curries, you may be safe to go on a simple guide. Korma - mild. Madras - medium. Vindaloo - hot.
But again, this is not always the case, there's many variations, from the restaurants and what country you may be ordering your dish.
In the UK the above is true to what to expect. In India the heat of the curries may vary. I have had the dishes in the past from their origin.
korma can catch you unaware if you were expecting a mild dish when it turns out to be very fiery. Madras can be either way, dependent on the content of spice and use of coconut cream, the same can be said of Vindaloo. I remember being in Madras and never having a curry that was too hot, I found the dish to be very flavoursome. Has for the Vindaloo, in Goa I had a traditional dish of pork, it was very fatty and had the heat of an inferno.
But again, I have had the three dishes in different countries and they all vary in terms of spice and heat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madras_curry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vindaloo
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Gazzy wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:24 pm I like Korma but they're always too sweet here.
Tasty Beef Korma Restaurant Style Pakistani Food Recipe

https://pakistanichefs.com/tasty-beef-k ... od-recipe/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic