The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Curry Club

Post by AndyKK »

hanno wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:40 am
AndyKK wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:24 pm
hanno wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:04 pm
scott61 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:41 pm Blue curry has no reason or value other than it's funny.
In German we say "the eye also eats" and I find a blue curry very unappealing.
Also, it is down to the tastes of the curries. Preparation and authentication, and also the cost of the dish.
Tonight, I had a lamb keema, it was fair, but not right. To me keema is a dish of minced meat and not half inch cuts, and it had a strong overkill of Black pepper.
Agreed, that does not look like a Keema at all. Don't care much for the apparent consistency either, looks too gelatinous.
Gelatinous, you had me reaching out for the dictionary, a very appropriate description. Viscous is another word I would use, and that leaves me with that feeling of why should the dish be so! It is simply because there is a lack of meat, but a very thick consistency too mask the lack of ingredients.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

AndyKK wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:54 am
hanno wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:40 am
AndyKK wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:24 pm
scott61 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:41 pm Blue curry has no reason or value other than it's funny.
Also, it is down to the tastes of the curries. Preparation and authentication, and also the cost of the dish.
Tonight, I had a lamb keema, it was fair, but not right. To me keema is a dish of minced meat and not half inch cuts, and it had a strong overkill of Black pepper.
Agreed, that does not look like a Keema at all. Don't care much for the apparent consistency either, looks too gelatinous.
Gelatinous, you had me reaching out for the dictionary, a very appropriate description. Viscous is another word I would use, and that leaves me with that feeling of why should the dish be so! It is simply because there is a lack of meat, but a very thick consistency too mask the lack of ingredients.
I am guessing the latter. Shortcutting on actually cooking a proper curry and helping it along with some corn starch.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I decided to eat out last night, so I had a ride over to the Taj Mahal Restaurant on street 136 between Central Market and Riverside. far from my first visit to this Pakistani restaurant that offers good value for their food, mainly because of the large amount of meat used in their dishes, so in reflection large portion's.
The main reason for my visit is knowing it is one of the very few restaurants in the city where you can get an authentic Kofta dish.

Meat (beef) Kofta Masala -

A very interesting, and tasty dish, way too much for myself to tackle in one sitting. People who also like a good curry may also tell you that the dish is even more tasty the day after, due to spices infusing the dish.

The second helping today, and better photos of the consistency of the Kofta -

:hattip:
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Based solely on the reviews in this thread I think Kampot has better Indian food than PP; I must post a few dishes next time I indulge in an Indian
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:46 pm Based solely on the reviews in this thread I think Kampot has better Indian food than PP; I must post a few dishes next time I indulge in an Indian
Please do that Jerry, I certainly agree with you that Kampot has the better Indian food than Phnom Penh. I would like to pay a visit in the near future to a few restaurants in Kampot. :beer3:
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:21 pm
Indeed. Much nicer to have food coloured with ground up insect bits. :D
sounds like my kind of curry!
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Beef karahi. a flavoursome Pakistani dish, with always lots of meat, would be normally accompanied by Naan bread. I have gone for the lighter chapatti.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Change from a curry, a Khmer sour soup dish, being in Kampong Cham.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Jalfrezi Chicken from Kamasutra restauraunt with garlic naan and local rice -$6 delivered

Loads of tender chicken, good fresh curry around it with nice spicing, light naan - local rice - it's possible to have with jasmine rice for an extra buck
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

No Thai restaurants here either so I made myself a Massaman Curry, on of my favorite Thai curries (couldn't find beef so chicken had to do):

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic