The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Curry Club

Post by AndyKK »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:31 pm
AndyKK wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:32 pm Too be perfectly honest Doc, I started the thread because I enjoy a good curry, but I have come to the conclusion some time ago, that the good curry is very elusive in the city of Phnom Penh.
Try this Lamb Bhuna recipe. I have tested it out and it is very good. The only ingredient you will have to seek out is curry leaves but they are available in most markets. If you break them up they have a citrus aroma. They are an important part of the flavour so don't try to skip it.
That's a good recipe Doc, thank you. I love Bhuna. I noticed that there's a nice-looking beef one on there too. There is some excellent beef on sale at the Cham market nearby, $5 will do up to 4 portions.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:56 pm
AndyKK wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:32 pm Too be perfectly honest Doc, I started the thread because I enjoy a good curry, but I have come to the conclusion some time ago, that the good curry is very elusive in the city of Phnom Penh.
Try this Lamb Bhuna recipe. I have tested it out and it is very good. The only ingredient you will have to seek out is curry leaves but they are available in most markets. If you break them up they have a citrus aroma. They are an important part of the flavour so don't try to skip it.
That's a good recipe Doc, thank you. I love Bhuna. I noticed that there's a nice-looking beef one on there too. There is some excellent beef on sale at the Cham market nearby, $5 will do up to 4 portions.
Sure, beef will work and local beef will be much cheaper than lamb. How much is it per kilo?

The cooking process is low and slow with lamb and so too for local beef. You could use goat or mutton (is it the same thing here?) or some of that Indian buffalo meat that turns up here.

In the UK I would use leg of mutton, bought from one of the Halal butchers in a nearby district. Huge, cheap and full of flavour. Alas, we are stuck with imported prime cuts for what should be a cheap cut dish. Just don't bother with lamb shanks, they take forever to cook, half the weight is lost in the bone and it a pain in the ass to separate. It works out more expensive than leg and you end up with a pot full of sauce and sod all lamb. This is where my 'second batch' habit derived from!

With leftover sauce, you can add some potatoes and veggies as well, or instead of, the chicken. A vegetable curry for lunch is quite light and will cost you about $1 a portion!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:10 am
AndyKK wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:56 pm
Sure, beef will work and local beef will be much cheaper than lamb. How much is it per kilo?

The cooking process is low and slow with lamb and so too for local beef. You could use goat or mutton (is it the same thing here?) or some of that Indian buffalo meat that turns up here.

In the UK I would use leg of mutton, bought from one of the Halal butchers in a nearby district. Huge, cheap and full of flavour. Alas, we are stuck with imported prime cuts for what should be a cheap cut dish. Just don't bother with lamb shanks, they take forever to cook, half the weight is lost in the bone and it a pain in the ass to separate. It works out more expensive than leg and you end up with a pot full of sauce and sod all lamb. This is where my 'second batch' habit derived from!

With leftover sauce, you can add some potatoes and veggies as well, or instead of, the chicken. A vegetable curry for lunch is quite light and will cost you about $1 a portion!
Apologies for the late reply Doc67. You make some very good points in the post. Has for the mutton, I believe that it is how you quote being the same, again it would mainly be sourced from the Cham, same has the beef, I don't particularly buy on the kilo at the Cham market, but the cut I would require.
I also buy meats from online sources via food panda. Such likes of S&L MEAT (BKK).
The lamb shoulder, boneless (New Zealand) $6
T-Bone (Australia) $9

The reason also for the late response is that I have been ill of late, swollen glands and fever. The main thing is I have not been able to swallow anything from drinks and soups. But this evening I ordered a beef Nihari from Emaan's. I managed to eat a good portion, also I have a strong belief in some foods, and the dishes have somewhat, of medical values.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

This is now my second dish this week from Emaan's, and one of my favourites. Beef Palak with brown rice, the best combination to get the full flavour of the dish. I add the coriander myself; I seem to have a fetish for the herb, and yogurt too.

This is one dish in Phnom Penh that I do recommend.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

At Nak's sisters just outside Kampong Cham, this morning I was treated to home cooking of a traditional Khmer curry dish. The aroma of the cooking actually woke me, the smell of the cooking is so that alone it gives one an appetite.
The dishes main ingredients are of potatoes and chicken, with the bones to give it flavor, with a few green beans, the curry sauce split's with the oils and you can taste the curry leaves and coconut milk with each dip of the bread, that it is the traditional way to be served.

Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:24 pm At Nak's sisters just outside Kampong Cham, this morning I was treated to home cooking of a traditional Khmer curry dish. The aroma of the cooking actually woke me, the smell of the cooking is so that alone it gives one an appetite.
The dishes main ingredients are of potatoes and chicken, with the bones to give it flavor, with a few green beans, the curry sauce split's with the oils and you can taste the curry leaves and coconut milk with each dip of the bread, that it is the traditional way to be served.

We eat this curry regularly, it’s also great with spare ribs or frogs.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

The Khmer curry is a very worthy dish if cooked well with it's ingredients. Unfortunately, like many restaurant's they do it right, or they don't! Again it's like the Indian food in this thread "hit or miss".
Home cooked and you can't go far wrong, because the person who will cook and serve the good Khmer curry, normally wants you to enjoy the traditional dish to it's full flavors.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Punjabi Kitchen St 172 down toward river from Golden Home, the best Indian food I have had in a long time, now re opened and with new crew, absolutely delicious 4 meals so far- Ckn Tikka Masala, Ckn Vindaloo, Ckn Tikka app. I know I need to branch out a bit more in the menu but man, if this is not the best Indian you've had in a while I would ask where you are eating.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

I should add for all those that I owe that I am still broke as a "check the box minority longshoreman on Saturday after payday" and that an anonymous woman has paid for these lovely meals.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

bossho wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:34 pm I should add for all those that I owe that I am still broke as a "check the box minority longshoreman on Saturday after payday" and that an anonymous woman has paid for these lovely meals.
Nice to know you are still around, may just bump into you for a curry or something there at sometime.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic