The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The Curry Club

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Gazzy wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:55 am Ordered butter chicken, aloo gobi, veg samosa and yellow rice from Sheri-Punjab $13.50. Got 3 meals out of it. Gorgeous.
Thank you. How was the food?

Must try it. Is the yellow rice curried? Not much for rice, myself, and it doesn't last long with me (before it goes hard) so I assume it is supposed to be stored a certain way?

FS! At 3 cents a thousand, I'll get a fresh batch. Don't order the steamed rice; there's no such thing.

Edit me if this is a sponsored thread, but Oskars pizzas, $5 to $7, with tip/drink, from 5pm to 7pm (arrived just before it finished, last time, at 5 to 7), are massive and to die for. Or from.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:59 pm We’ve had a few deliveries, but I’ve not personally eaten food delivered by Panda. The other half has- I ordered from the luxury of my hotel room in Belgium. She told me that the food was not as good as we would have if I went to get the takeaway myself, or if we eat in the restaurant. It’s a shame, but as I was eating a mediocre local microwave meal, I wasn’t too sympathetic.

I’m suspecting that something is amiss, but given that most can’t find the address when we are standing 3meters above them and yelling at them, it’s no great loss not to use them. If I ordered food from a normally good source, and garbage turned up, I’d be around there in a shot to find out why.

Sher-E-Punjab is our go-to. Occasionally, some rough looking barangs turn up :D, but it is Phnom Penh.
They (Sher) take an order over the phone, and the fella delivered by moto personally, a few nights back. Otherwise, I just take a short walk.

It’s rare to get swmbo to try anywhere else. She does prefer the Naan from a little place near phsar Kandal. I hear good things about Namaste, so I need to drag the brood over there.

Last night, I introduced them to aloo gobi. Delicious, and as ever rather unlike any aloo gobi eaten elsewhere. Fundamentally the same, but different.

But when I can get the elder lad eagerly munching curry and aloo with garlic naan, and the little fella eating all the poppadums, I feel my work is progressing well.
It might be so, getting a delivery order, rather than eating in the restaurants. You don't know what you have with the delivery until you have unpackaged the meal, but, what if you're disappointed with what you have received. I suppose you could go meal in hand too where the meal came from and complain. I mean it's nothing to do with the company or guys who delivers your meal, they are only that, a food delivery company. Only thing that they have done is give the restaurant the choice of substitution of an item, if they don't have the item you ordered, such happened on past orders of mine. Particulars once being the Indian dessert "Rasmarli" I received a "Sting energy drink". But I think on the whole that has opened the door for dishonesty. On the other hand you can take the option of canceling the full order if they don't have a item you ordered.
Kids, now that brings back memories, of my kids and grandkids eating at local curry houses.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I wish I could tolerate spicy food better. I like it but it is not a reciprocal relationship. Back in the days of toilet paper, I would put a roll in the freezer, in prep for the morning.

I still eat it, because I don't believe in exercising. The capsaicin chemical in hot stuff causes the brain to release endorphins and dopamine. That euphoric feeling is the same as the buzz athletes and gym junkies get. And I sweat so much, it looks like I swam across the Mekong, to the restaurant.

I am considering taking steroids and get into some serious curry-munching - I don't want to be huge, just tone up a bit so I can walk around Phnom Penh without a shirt, permanently, crunching on a pepper, and intimidating other 60 year olds.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

next time any of ya all are in Kampot, try simons Tandoor indian food
had 4 different meals there now, was impressed and very tasty, (fyi i always tell them spicy when they ask how i want it)
https://kampot-cambodia.com/mainpages/P ... urant.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Londonmail
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Londonmail »

If you want to eat more spicy....

Just jump in the deep end like a reaper deep end,
Over come the pain and then next meal start at the beginning (like 1 thai chillie) and work your way up with more

For me I like chicken tikka massage.... I don't no why its just a habit....

I also like extra spicy phal....

I'm a bit out of practice with spicy food at the moment,
But this week iv been eating some fresh reapers with my food and tbh.... they been killing me 😀😃🙂
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

This evenings meal turned out pretty well, but like you guys who posted earlier and like hot curry, I prefer to have less heat and retain more taste. But the restaurant must have been listening to you guys, due to my curry being hot, and it's been sometime since I have had red chilli in my dish.

Starter

Main

Now that curry was hot. Let's hope it helps shift my cold.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

AndyKK's pizza order delivery.. :stir:

ImageImageImage
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:19 pm next time any of ya all are in Kampot, try simons Tandoor indian food
had 4 different meals there now, was impressed and very tasty, (fyi i always tell them spicy when they ask how i want it)
https://kampot-cambodia.com/mainpages/P ... urant.html
We are spoiled for choice of Indian-ish food in Kampot

Simon's
Greens (Simon's vegan and veg joint)
Masala Twist
Curry Mahal
Krishnas
Ahmeers
Indian Kitchen

Plus magic sponge has an Indian menu also

Had a $3.50 chicken palak last evening delivered with 4 x chapati piping hot, loads of boneless chicken, nice sauce. Hard to beat
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Being less curry houses in Kampot than Phnom Penh is not a bad thing, and, I think I will leave off the curries here for a while. Having a splerge and feast when I can get down to Kampot. I love the Mutton Vindaloo and the Kofta at MasalaTwist Indian Halal Restauran.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:37 pm
Main

Now that curry was hot. Let's hope it helps shift my cold.
Might shift a lot more than your cold...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic