The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Re: The Curry Club

Post by Gazzy »

Ordered butter chicken, aloo gobi, veg samosa and yellow rice from Sheri-Punjab $13.50. Got 3 meals out of it. Gorgeous.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I did not have long to wait for the Cambodian Saraman curry, I was going to check out the same restaurant out for breakfast but decided to wait with feeling a bit under the weather.
So food panda to the rescue.

The Cambodian Saraman curry.

I had a bit extra.

But with the head cold I suspect I have I am in need of a hot dish. :hattip:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:18 pm I did not have long to wait for the Cambodian Saraman curry, I was going to check out the same restaurant out for breakfast but decided to wait with feeling a bit under the weather.

I had a bit extra.

That was breakfast ??? ;-)
That looks like a Covid killer if I ever saw one.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:33 pm
AndyKK wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:18 pm I did not have long to wait for the Cambodian Saraman curry, I was going to check out the same restaurant out for breakfast but decided to wait with feeling a bit under the weather.

I had a bit extra.

That was breakfast ??? ;-)
That looks like a Covid killer if I ever saw one.
No! The food was not for breakfast, but from the same restaurant where I wish to try their full English breakfast. I seem to have very similar symptoms to the dreaded virus, but, then again it is for sure only a bad bout of a common cold.
Again, with the times we have now, it's worth while to take care. It was only a few days ago, a resident, young mother, was talking with my partner, telling her she had been diagnosed with the Covid19 virus once more. Thing is she is telling my partner while they are buying vegetables from the mobile shop, the lady with Covid19 is unmasked.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

In need of a hot dish. Yes, I certainly got the hot dish, and more. I am usually a person who would refrain from complaint, but an example with tonight's dish is so common part fault with many a restaurant.

Basmati rice! I clearly think not. Apart from paying twice the cost on the rice, if you make the order via food panda, and the restaurant does not have the item ordered, they under food pandas policy can replace the ordered item to the closest thing. So Cambodian rice at the same price to me as my ordered Basmati rice. This is far from a first time issue, and on the subject it could be an opening for dishonesty.

Tawa Roti, sorry again, but to me the breads are of plain Chapattis.

Kadai Mutton, the meat was like biting into a pencil eraser. If so we sure got the old goat this time round. But this dish is not my view of a Kadai, with it's colour of green pepper and red tomato. No it lacked most ingredients it should have had. But it did have heat, it certainly had heat, not on par with a spicy Madras nor hot Vindaloo, this dish had a category too itself once put into ones mouth by the scoop and aid of a chapatti, silence, followed by a little perspiration from the brow, this curry was well spiced too the extent I had the feeling of a erupting volcano in my mouth. I just wished at the time the mutton was a little tender, lets hope it helps clear the cold.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Did it shift your cold?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Gazzy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:32 pm Did it shift your cold?
I am a bit of a believer in the infusion of Herb's and Spices can actually help with a common cold. Has it happens I am still feeling shit. Even more so with my second laptop following the same fate has the last one. How can both laptops lose important start programs?
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Not sure about the laptops but believe the herbs and spices work in conjunction with other remedies to ease that flu. 1000 mg of vit-c ( make sure it contains zinc). Eat a chunk of raw garlic. Whiskey with honey and hot water and panadol at night. Oh and steaming over a hot bowl of water. Get well.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Gazzy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:12 pm Not sure about the laptops but believe the herbs and spices work in conjunction with other remedies to ease that flu. 1000 mg of vit-c ( make sure it contains zinc). Eat a chunk of raw garlic. Whiskey with honey and hot water and panadol at night. Oh and steaming over a hot bowl of water. Get well.
Now you are talking, Whiskey toddy, ingredients whiskey, fresh squeezed lemon juice, a few table spoons of honey, hot water and 2 paracetamol tablets broken and steered in the toddy. Also the Thai tablet (Tiffy) are very good.
https://doctorthailand.net/product/tiff ... flu-pills/

And a good curry just to get things together with the infusion of spice and good taste, will soon have you back on your feet.

All looking good, and I am looking forward to a good meal. If that is the case, soon all wit be good and the cold seen on it's way.

Starter of Reshmi Kababs, wait a minute, these type of Kabab are of mince, spices and egg, marinated in yogurt, I remember that a good one of this recipe would be that of a soft and delicate Kabab eaten with a spoon. So why have I got a handful of chicken Tikka type pieces? Is it food panda's policy (if the restaurant does not have it can be replaced by the nearest item). Next time I order a meal I will take the customers option of if they don't have the item, cancel the whole order.
The main dish of chicken Tikka masala, being so popular and one of the best selling curries at most restaurants today in Phnom Penh had to be good.

Opinions please? It soon followed by one flick of the wrist in one shot into the bin after only a few mouthfuls. Definitely not to my liking.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

We’ve had a few deliveries, but I’ve not personally eaten food delivered by Panda. The other half has- I ordered from the luxury of my hotel room in Belgium. She told me that the food was not as good as we would have if I went to get the takeaway myself, or if we eat in the restaurant. It’s a shame, but as I was eating a mediocre local microwave meal, I wasn’t too sympathetic.

I’m suspecting that something is amiss, but given that most can’t find the address when we are standing 3meters above them and yelling at them, it’s no great loss not to use them. If I ordered food from a normally good source, and garbage turned up, I’d be around there in a shot to find out why.

Sher-E-Punjab is our go-to. Occasionally, some rough looking barangs turn up :D, but it is Phnom Penh.
They (Sher) take an order over the phone, and the fella delivered by moto personally, a few nights back. Otherwise, I just take a short walk.

It’s rare to get swmbo to try anywhere else. She does prefer the Naan from a little place near phsar Kandal. I hear good things about Namaste, so I need to drag the brood over there.

Last night, I introduced them to aloo gobi. Delicious, and as ever rather unlike any aloo gobi eaten elsewhere. Fundamentally the same, but different.

But when I can get the elder lad eagerly munching curry and aloo with garlic naan, and the little fella eating all the poppadums, I feel my work is progressing well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic