The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Curry Club

Post by AndyKK »

[media][/media]Food delivery you say bossho, it's not a good idea for me to do a new thread on the subject. I had a single delivery from Nham24 sometime ago, then I made another order with them, because the restaurant I wanted food from was out of my catchment area with food panda.
Then I received a text from them wanting me to confirm my address and phone number, well they certainly had both, because I received 5 phone calls from their office staff, first asking me for the street name or number. We have no street name or number, but that was sorted before, but now apparently not. The first call the person didn't understand me, the 5th call was to tell me they didn't believe me, so they decided not to make delivery's too me. Food panda delivery guys go down below my address at times, on to the Borry, and I will get a message or call saying "I am here" with my reply "No your not". Then I will have another message "Why you not come out", I will resend them directions and text via translation in Khmer. Then it's time for the call from their supervisor, telling me if I don't come out of the apartment and collect my food they will still bill me. But I am outside waiting for your delivery rider to come to my address on the map. "He is outside" the young lady says to me, "he maybe outside, but he's at the wrong location", She is then telling me, why can't I go to him and collect my order. I think that is avoiding the issue can he read the map I wonder. It's happened so many times now, the food panda office said they would stop delivering to me because I would not collect my orders from their riders, and that I don't have a street name or number. It's not really me with the street problem, it's Phnom Penh that doesn't have, not recognized by the authorities. On the other hand the security down on the Borry are clued up now they send the riders to my location. But even so it's never food panda who will except responsibility, if there is blame it's the customers fault. I suppose the words at the bottom of my posts fit the situation well "Always "hope" but never "expect".
This evening I had a few things to do in TTP so I ended up calling at Emaan's before setting off for home.
Beef Palak

The meat is always tender, and the use of real spinach is always a good sign. A little bit of strawberrie yogurt on the side just to dab the roti to take away the heat. :D
Always "hope" but never "expect".
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I'd rather go without than go through all the shit getting food delivered, tried it once never again.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:32 am I'd rather go without than go through all the shit getting food delivered, tried it once never again.
We once ordered together, dose that time not count, we had a few dishes delivered from Namaste, near Bassac Lane. That order turned up in reasonable time. Anyhow you we're based on Riverside at the time with lots of places and choices to eat.
When we had the lockdown in my location I had the choice of Khmer food, or Khmer food. :facepalm:
I noticed you are still trying to find the best whiskey for your taste, keep the thread going. Do you know how many bottles you have downed and what the costs are up to date. I would not have a clue on how much I have spent on curry.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

It was that night that got me to give it a try, sadly it didn't work out ( I've never been for from a restaurant ), as for whiskey was about a bottle a week at between $20-50 till I came to NZ then 4 months nothing, but now 1 a week $50-100 NZD . see ya soon hopefully :beer3:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Hey now @AndyKK I just thought a re hash of how to disable BBCode would be useful to get this application we write in to work as it should.
Fair retreat on the food delivery thread, we don't need another gripe and moan piece. Anti defamation cases and lese majeste' precedents don't need anymore traction in light of the merciless 'grab and pray to bail with cash' entombment around us.

Note to Mods; I considered blotting out the beheading here to avoid getting re rated, but since it's an old illustration, and nothing like our modern world, thought it ok.

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Beheading. Come on let's talk about a good Vindaloo, that could blow your head off.
Today's choice was good. If you like simple honest food, and a dish definitely on the hot side. Mutton Vindaloo, with nothing really special to visualize, just a gravy not thick and also not too thin, with a balance of potatoes and tender meat, with a few bones in there to add to the flavor. Basically a no thrill's dish that would leave the eater satisfied and content The price is very good too.

Actually a nice balanced dish
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Just another dish or gravy.
How much do you like coriander?

Dhania chicken translates literally into coriander chicken. It is a delicious chicken curry with sweet and sour undertones. What do my taste buds also recall of the Bengali dish, an addition of panch phoren.
A traditional Bengali mix of five whole spices, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, nigella seeds, and cumin adds a unique flavor that is unlike any other.
But it is more too that I like coriander has being on of my most favorite herbs that makes the choice of the dish to my liking.

The meal well balanced, with the use of potatoes.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

A recipe from the book

ImageA
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I am always looking for a bargain. With that and the food tasting good, then you can't go far wrong.
The curry dish I had for the last two nights is what I call a good deal.

I have also found in Cambodia the curries on the second serving just are not the same has back home. I have no answer why this is, such has back in the UK a curry left in the fridge overnight would infuse more with the mixture of spices, so the result would be the curry would be more intense on flavour too your taste. But do the same here in Cambodia and mostly the curry would be uneatable.
Sorry I took the photo has I already started to eat :facepalm:

The dish is very basic, but for the curry and 2 chapattis for $3 I wouldn't expect any different. So it's just a case to add a little too the plainness of the meal, add onions and a little coriander, even tomatoes or potatoes. The second serving I added onion and pineapple, and yoghurt.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I was scanning google maps and more tonight, looking for restaurants I may have missed here in Phnom Penh. With some luck I came upon such a restaurant with a dish I really fancy, then with bad luck I lost the desired restaurant location.
But here is the dish, and a little research on reading. I also think that, with unfortunate disappointments of late I just may get on the cooks apron and have a go myself.

CAMBODIA’S RICH AND SPICY SARAMAN CURRY RECIPE – HOW TO MAKE CAMBODIAN CARI SARAMANN

The Cambodian Saraman curry or cari Saramann is the richest of the Cambodian curries and the most complex. A cousin of the Thai Massaman curry and beef Rendang of Malaysia, its time-consuming nature makes it a special occasion dish for Cambodians, particularly in the Cham Muslim communities of Cambodia.

The similarity between Cambodian Saraman curry and Thailand’s Massaman curry (also written as Mussaman curry) lies in the base curry paste with just a few ingredients setting the Saraman curry apart and that’s the use of star anise, sometimes turmeric, and dry roasted grated coconut.

The latter is what the Saraman curry has in common with Malaysia’s beef Rendang, the dry roasted coconut helping to give the curry that beautiful rich, thick gravy that has you adding yet another spoonful of rice to your bowl just to mix it with the sauce.

https://grantourismotravels.com/saraman ... -saramann/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic