The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Re: The Curry Club

Post by Gazzy »

Free, after 16 days. Thanks for asking. What made me curious was the authorities never provided any food for the residents at any time. Not once. This was in contrast to other areas where a big fanfare was made of food packages being delivered. Wondering if it's decided by areas of wealth?.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Gazzy wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:50 am Free, after 16 days. Thanks for asking. What made me curious was the authorities never provided any food for the residents at any time. Not once. This was in contrast to other areas where a big fanfare was made of food packages being delivered. Wondering if it's decided by areas of wealth?.
It could always be said that the poor are more vulnerable, so their needs would be higher, but also being anyone in the situation that you have been bestowed, also could put anybody in some way of a need situation.
Since I have resided in this country, I have come to realise that whatever is said to do, or implement, by the ones at the top, other authorities you may have to deal with don't always follow how you would feel appropriate with what maybe put in place, in other words they deal with it differently, or in some cases respond has they are in some sort of denial, or don't want to be responsible.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I have had the Lamb Bhuna Gosht yesterday, also had the same dish several times on past occasions too from the NamasteIndia BKK restaurant. I mention this particular dish because for me and my taste, this is a good dish from this restaurant.
I decided to eat it with two Chapattis, accompanied with a few Plain Papadums and Pineapple Raita (if the meal was too hot).
Please take note if you do order Chapattis, they are very good, light and exceptionally tasty, but small in size compared to many other restaurants.

There is a sufficient amount of tender Lamb in the dish, I have not put out the full serving, only half.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I don't get that billing at all. How did it end up costing half the total?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

I like to eat Indian food occasionally, but it taste and look all same to me. Some muddy mash, over-spiced that you only taste spices, nothing else in the dish. I miss fresh veggies, salads, sour. When I was in Sri Lanka, I enjoyed their food for one week, after I get bored. I guess it would be same in India.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:39 pm I don't get that billing at all. How did it end up costing half the total?
I believe there's 40% discount at this time, and I used a voucher for a restaurant messing up one of my orders.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Chuck Borris wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:21 pm I like to eat Indian food occasionally, but it taste and look all same to me. Some muddy mash, over-spiced that you only taste spices, nothing else in the dish. I miss fresh veggies, salads, sour. When I was in Sri Lanka, I enjoyed their food for one week, after I get bored. I guess it would be same in India.
I too was in Sri Lanka for a little longer then your time there, although my plan was to renew my visa to India, and return back to India on my air ticket of just over one week. Unfortunately when I did go for my flight I was informed because of the latest unrest and bombing in the capital, with apologies, my seat was resold to someone who wished to leave the country, and also they and other airlines were fully booked for the next few weeks. So extended holiday, and the food was good.
Chuck Borris tell me do you enjoy Cambodian food?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Chuck Borris wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:21 pm I like to eat Indian food occasionally, but it taste and look all same to me. Some muddy mash, over-spiced that you only taste spices, nothing else in the dish. I miss fresh veggies, salads, sour. When I was in Sri Lanka, I enjoyed their food for one week, after I get bored. I guess it would be same in India.
I can see that & despite being a curry lover sometimes feel the same - here it has been hard to give any Indian restaurant more than a 6/10, but even an Indian 6/10 on my scale is way off the charts versus the other tripe you can buy from western/Khmer restaurants!

I was particularly spoiled as a kid, often getting a weekly treat at an Indian in the UK that was always in the nationwide Top Ten awards year after year - I can still taste that food to this day just thinking about it, and only ever was able to find it in Delhi when I was there. Outside of that restaurant & Delhi, it can be much of a muchness, and hard to discern flavours between dishes. Damn, I'm having flashbacks of that food now. What have I done.

I've got to say here that I've spent a bit more time enjoying the dry dishes and veggie dishes which seem to have a bit more care about them; still none come close to my Delhi experience, but they're much closer than a typical chicken/gravy dish which here is bang average, a tandoori chicken however won't be a million miles away from decent. Likewise breads, particularly the flat breads like chapatis are solid, naan breads here really lacking the fluffiness they should have & there is a flavour missing I can't put my finger on that just leaves it at "decent bread", rather than "mesmerizing bread". Damn, more flashbacks.

I need to get back to Delhi! :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:03 pm
I can see that & despite being a curry lover sometimes feel the same - here it has been hard to give any Indian restaurant more than a 6/10, but even an Indian 6/10 on my scale is way off the charts versus the other tripe you can buy from western/Khmer restaurants!

I was particularly spoiled as a kid, often getting a weekly treat at an Indian in the UK that was always in the nationwide Top Ten awards year after year - I can still taste that food to this day just thinking about it, and only ever was able to find it in Delhi when I was there. Outside of that restaurant & Delhi, it can be much of a muchness, and hard to discern flavours between dishes. Damn, I'm having flashbacks of that food now. What have I done.

I've got to say here that I've spent a bit more time enjoying the dry dishes and veggie dishes which seem to have a bit more care about them; still none come close to my Delhi experience, but they're much closer than a typical chicken/gravy dish which here is bang average, a tandoori chicken however won't be a million miles away from decent. Likewise breads, particularly the flat breads like chapatis are solid, naan breads here really lacking the fluffiness they should have & there is a flavour missing I can't put my finger on that just leaves it at "decent bread", rather than "mesmerizing bread". Damn, more flashbacks.

I need to get back to Delhi! :hattip:
I do understand what you and other posters are saying, I started this thread on the only basis of finding a good curry dish that I would be happy with, regarding old experiences. There are very few that meet anywhere near my past experience's.
I had mentioned my trips and food experience in Delhi on other posts here. I also have extensively traveled India and enjoyed many meals.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:51 pm
I too was in Sri Lanka for a little longer then your time there, although my plan was to renew my visa to India, and return back to India on my air ticket of just over one week. Unfortunately when I did go for my flight I was informed because of the latest unrest and bombing in the capital, with apologies, my seat was resold to someone who wished to leave the country, and also they and other airlines were fully booked for the next few weeks. So extended holiday, and the food was good.
Chuck Borris tell me do you enjoy Cambodian food?
I am not saying it was not good, just not as diverse as I expected for my taste. I loved Coconut sambol.
I like Khmer food if is not to sweet, love fish or crab amok, for me they have best sea food in this region. I love beef here, they can even prepare a tasty meal from a buffalo who died from oldness. :)
If I have to choose my fav cuisine it would be Thai and Mediterranean/a lot of salads.
I understand, Brits have special relationship with Indian food, like southern Americans with Mexican food. My British friends claim that the best Indian food is in the UK and my gringos that the best Mexican food is in California. :)
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic