The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
sousadeyy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Curry Club

Post by sousadeyy »

Andykkk

Tomorrow..... You are hypothetically forced to eat Indian food for breakfast, lunch and dinner from 3 different establishments in pp.

What restaurant and dish(es) will you choose for each meal.
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kahuna »

I'm with Andy on the subject of adding chips to anything with the only exception being a roast (pork, lamb or beef) which has the roast spuds. Any other meal is fair game.
I remember being in France a few years ago down near Calais and there were these chip vans along the street so thought I'd give them a go. Bloody beaut they were! Generous serving and reasonable price. Got over to England a couple of days later and was to be honest disappointed with the fish and chippery's there.
But and so as not to derail the thread, I did a 3 month exchange with the Royal Air Force (RAF) and I was based at RAF Lyneham which is not far from Swindon. A short walk from the front gate was a Bangladesh restaurant which served the best curries I have tasted before or since. All the waiters wore immaculate black and white outfits and every table would have at least three or more blokes waiting on the customers, the food was as I said incredibly good and we'd wash it down with I think it was Kingfisher beers. It was the go to place at least once a week as it was good value as well. But to be honest I don't know how regional it was as the majority of dishes were the standard ones you'd find in an Indian restaurant if in name only.
And yes the local fish and chippery was disappointing to say the least.
Do you make your own curries Andy or just get takeaway's?
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

sousadeyy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:32 pm Andykkk

Tomorrow..... You are hypothetically forced to eat Indian food for breakfast, lunch and dinner from 3 different establishments in pp.

Masala dosa, masala chai from Masala dosa Street Kitchen.
Mutton madras, aloo methi, lemon rice, plain lassi from Sheri e Punjab.
Chicken biryani, dal, chapati, beer from Kathmandu Kitchen.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I'd move to Kampot
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Masala dosa - Idli Dosa.
Butter Chicken with Indian Basmati Rice - Haveli Indian Cuisine.
Shami Kabab, Palak Spinach with Beef, Zeera Rice, Plain Paratha.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kahuna wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:53 pm I'm with Andy on the subject of adding chips to anything with the only exception being a roast (pork, lamb or beef) which has the roast spuds. Any other meal is fair game.
I remember being in France a few years ago down near Calais and there were these chip vans along the street so thought I'd give them a go. Bloody beaut they were! Generous serving and reasonable price. Got over to England a couple of days later and was to be honest disappointed with the fish and chippery's there.
But and so as not to derail the thread, I did a 3 month exchange with the Royal Air Force (RAF) and I was based at RAF Lyneham which is not far from Swindon. A short walk from the front gate was a Bangladesh restaurant which served the best curries I have tasted before or since. All the waiters wore immaculate black and white outfits and every table would have at least three or more blokes waiting on the customers, the food was as I said incredibly good and we'd wash it down with I think it was Kingfisher beers. It was the go to place at least once a week as it was good value as well. But to be honest I don't know how regional it was as the majority of dishes were the standard ones you'd find in an Indian restaurant if in name only.
I must add, chips in Belgium are very good.
Fish and chips too I think are better in the north of the UK.
Yes, I can cook my own Currys. I did have a bar/restaurant in Koh Kong for 3 years, the curry night went well. There's some previous posts on this thread with some of the dishes I have cooked.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Kahuna wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:53 pm I'm with Andy on the subject of adding chips to anything with the only exception being a roast (pork, lamb or beef) which has the roast spuds. Any other meal is fair game.
[/quote
Interesting. I've had a few good curries in Swindon. The town itself is a bit of a dump but the surrounding countryside is lovely.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Last night

The shami kababs we're a tad on the small size, but you see for my starter I added a few small chips. One thing is I like vinegar on my chips, I also like Achar dishes.
The main was not Keema, but I suppose that's it when you order by food panda, if the restaurant does not have what you order, they can replace it with something else near to the dish.
That was not too bad, but the other day I ordered 2 portions of Rasmarli, and received 2 energy drinks. Disappointed there because I don't like the sweet energy drinks.

All in all the above meal was good and of quality.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Gazzy wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:01 am
[/quote
Interesting. I've had a few good curries in Swindon. The town itself is a bit of a dump but the surrounding countryside is lovely.
I agree with you there, that there is some nice countryside in Wiltshire. About Swindon I remember the magic roundabout mainly. But outside I am sure I had a good Pheasant dish.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Gazzy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:12 pm

Masala dosa, masala chai from Masala dosa Street Kitchen.
Mutton madras, aloo methi, lemon rice, plain lassi from Sheri e Punjab.
Chicken biryani, dal, chapati, beer from Kathmandu Kitchen.
Welcome Gazzy, how are things with you, are you still locked in, or free now?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic