The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Curry Club

Post by AndyKK »

Gazzy wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:05 am
AndyKK wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:26 pm
Gazzy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:04 am My go to is the Sher-E-Punjab on St.130. I'm sure a lot of you go there too. Long established, no bs, hearty food. Yesterday ordered, 4 vegetable somasas chicken tikka masala, aloo gobi, lemon rice and plain naan. $14. Enough for 3 meals. Ordered by phone, picked up 20 mins later. Delicious.
That's the way I do it! Spread the costs of two meals and it's reasonable, because I do think that the prices are high here in Cambodia in general for Indian food, there actually very close to prices in the west, more so my home country of the UK. But mostly I think the starters are way overpriced in Phnom Penh.
Way cheaper here than the UK.
Gazzy, you are right there, It seems the longer you are away its easy to lose touch with what was, but now its more of what is.
I also think "back in the day" it was cheap eats for me, my friends and my young family. It was a good longtime friend who introduced me to my first curry experience 40+ years ago. Then it was a old Milltown in West Yorkshire in the so called recession, with the decline of the textile industry and the general lack of jobs in the area. Adaptation was the answer for many, such has the first curry house in the area. It was two Pakistani out of work loom workers who took over the old terraced small veterinary surgery, basically two rooms. You entered into the old waiting room, menu on the wall, the serving hatch was slid open where you ordered your takeaway meal from the basic kitchen.
Shami meat kabab, popadom, keema spinach madras , 3 free chapattis with any main dish with what would become the norm in our area. Our dinning area would be "sat on the grass" in the local park just over the road on that summers evening. I can still remember (imagine) the taste of that first ever Kabab, a little burnt around the edges, has I bite, the tastes of ginger, garlic and turmeric, with explosions of the sliced green chili's accompanied with fresh mint, goes well with a dip in the mint yogurt, tomato and raw onions, and a occasional bite of the crispy popadom. The curry was what we would call quite a dry dish, but very spicy, but tastey too, scooped up with hot light bread of the chapattis. I am still looking for those past tastes in Phnom Penh.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Last night's meal was very good, and not expensive, I only wish when they provide a small side salad that they would add a source or two.
I made a few chips too, this, apart from being enjoyable will help spread the content of the food too one more good serving.

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I ended up adding to my previous Indian order with a few chapattis and a tandoori chicken leg,, it helps spread it out a little more since I was particularly hungry. I had been painting the bike once again and worked up an appetite.

atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Showing your heritage, chips with your curry :plus1:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:23 am Showing your heritage, chips with your curry :plus1:
Or maybe it could be seen, preserving our heritage.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:40 am
atst wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:23 am Showing your heritage, chips with your curry :plus1:
I'm missing the curries from Masala Twist Kampot.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:29 am
AndyKK wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:40 am
I'm missing the curries from Masala Twist Kampot.
The boss Jawed Maroof can cook up a top class curry, the taste of the many different curry dishes suit me very well. I do very
must like the vindaloo's and sweet lassie at this place, still the best curries in Cambodia for me. :beer3: :beer1:
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

What do you guys think of the Katmandu Kitchen on st 258?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Gazzy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:12 am What do you guys think of the Katmandu Kitchen on st 258?
Funny you should mention the Katmandu Kitchen, I left a review I left for them was 2 years ago. We just arrived back in the big city from one of our road trips, stopping first at the restaurant, because it was getting later in the evening. So treating myself and my partner too a good Christmas dinner, the meat (mutton) dishes, the meat being always soft and tender, a good sign of the cook making a good dish, good mixture of taste from the spice too. There's a daily blackboard outside with offers, no real discount's or offers apart from that, none too with delivery from foodpanda. But all is well because the food is good.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Unexpected curry night. Not.

Post by Freightdog »

A relaxed evening came our way yesterday, having dumped the older 2 sprogs with their grandparents.
When I asked what she would like to do for dinner, Memsahib suggested a curry. Cue salivation, mouth tingling in anticipation. The Punjab on 172 being her go-to since that was her first introduction to curry. Off we trot, with herself trying to contain the little fellas penchant for darting off in random directions, to find much of 172 shuttered and in darkness.
There was a cavalcade of police vehicles in convoy, but that was pretty much the only sign of life.

We ended up heading to our backup. Lok Lak in place of curry. Not a good result. My mouth is watering in anticipation, just writing this.
Last edited by Freightdog on Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic