The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Curry Club

Post by cautious colin »

Thanks @AndyKK

I do like Haveli, had 1 bad meal from there (extremely salty) but the rest were good.

Will have to give Emaan a go

Tbh, I would normally sway slightly to the southern cuisine but do have cravings for the northern style too (coming from UK northern is the more familiar style I'd say)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

cautious colin wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:05 pm Thanks @AndyKK

I do like Haveli, had 1 bad meal from there (extremely salty) but the rest were good.

Tbh, I would normally sway slightly to the southern cuisine but do have cravings for the northern style too (coming from UK northern is the more familiar style I'd say)
Me too cautious colin, near my home town too name a few areas for Indian restaurants, are of Battley, Dewsbury and the best northern city Bradford, aptly named Bradistan. With one of my old time favourites and the first Indian restaurant to open "The Karachi" can't beat their kofta. But saying that, the choice in the city equals one for every day of the year.

https://curry-heute.com/2017/02/23/brad ... ew-prices/
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

cautious colin wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:05 pm Thanks @AndyKK

I made a mistake with Emaan, it is a restaurant.

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Chicken tikka masala is the unofficial dish of England because it was first developed in the UK and not India, a common misperception.
Chicken Tikka Masala is a creamy orange coloured curry made with marinade chicken, aromatic Indian spices, tomato and cream.

Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I'm looking forward to getting released (I don't remember what my crime was, but...) and having a curry. I introduced the other half to curry earlier this year, and she annoyingly had several curries while I was away- she's a convert. The kids seem to have taken to it, too. The little fella especially is going to be exposed to as much of the world's varied cuisine, and especially curry. I'll have to go back through this thread and see what other haunts are currently making the grade locally.

We live near the junction of streets 154 and 19. Street 172 being an easy alternative for breakfast, and Romano's across the road for a pizza! The other half makes a great Kaw Sach Chrouk, so we aren't short of opportunities.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

What is a good curry, we all have our views and moreso our tastes.

Cheap chicken samosa, this is one of the exceptions in Phnom Penh where starters are usually at premium prices.

I accompanied the tasty biryani with the yesterdays chicken tikka massala
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

My go to is the Sher-E-Punjab on St.130. I'm sure a lot of you go there too. Long established, no bs, hearty food. Yesterday ordered, 4 vegetable somasas chicken tikka masala, aloo gobi, lemon rice and plain naan. $14. Enough for 3 meals. Ordered by phone, picked up 20 mins later. Delicious.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Gazzy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:04 am My go to is the Sher-E-Punjab on St.130. I'm sure a lot of you go there too. Long established, no bs, hearty food. Yesterday ordered, 4 vegetable somasas chicken tikka masala, aloo gobi, lemon rice and plain naan. $14. Enough for 3 meals. Ordered by phone, picked up 20 mins later. Delicious.
That's the way I do it! Spread the costs of two meals and it's reasonable, because I do think that the prices are high here in Cambodia in general for Indian food, there actually very close to prices in the west, more so my home country of the UK. But mostly I think the starters are way overpriced in Phnom Penh.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Tonight time for a change for me, not the usual Indian curry. But this curry dish is acctuly also one of my all time favourites.

Thai Panang curry

The curry paste is made with dried chili peppers, galangal, lemongrass, kaffir lime zest, coriander root, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, garlic, shallot, shrimp paste, salt and peanuts.[2] The dish is usually made with meat cut into thin strips, kaffir lime leaves, coconut milk, phanaeng curry paste, palm sugar and fish sauce. It typically contains thick coconut milk and has very little other liquid added.

Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:26 pm
Gazzy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:04 am My go to is the Sher-E-Punjab on St.130. I'm sure a lot of you go there too. Long established, no bs, hearty food. Yesterday ordered, 4 vegetable somasas chicken tikka masala, aloo gobi, lemon rice and plain naan. $14. Enough for 3 meals. Ordered by phone, picked up 20 mins later. Delicious.
That's the way I do it! Spread the costs of two meals and it's reasonable, because I do think that the prices are high here in Cambodia in general for Indian food, there actually very close to prices in the west, more so my home country of the UK. But mostly I think the starters are way overpriced in Phnom Penh.
Way cheaper here than the UK.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic