The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Curry Club

Post by Doc67 »

atst wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:03 pm Thought I'd break the bank again but not to much so no rice , back to paradise pizza riverside $3 green curry chicken beans potatoes pumpkin very nice and fulling

Do they offer a senior citizen/early bird discount?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^I have never seen such a thing as that here Doc.
Things are moving along nicely with a few more added posts of curry.

Namasta India last night, I had a craving and didn't get out because of the rain, plus I was once again working on the bike.

It was to be a Chicken Karahi once more

And like I had said before, sometime good and other times bad, this was the later with only Chicken leg meat and sweet taste. Not good for me.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

The choice today was that once again from Princella Flavors Of Saffron. I had in the past put this place on hold due to a number of things, such has booking and in general prices. Then the establishment showed in the list of restaurants on the delivery app food panda that I have started to use.
A note if you are to use food panda, there is obviously a catchment area of restaurants you can use, with me living at Chbar Ampov there seems to be a border a street or two before Independent Monument and that is iffy, such has I can get delivery from Swagget Indian Restaurant but not India Western Khmer restaurant on the same street. The usual riders for food panda you will be aware of the box mounted to the back of the motorcycle, these guys take that of their work serious, being polite and accurate. But on occasions you may get a delivery from a moto dot or a tuc-tuc driver, watch them has the moto dot delivery to me, I paid’ he turned and walked away without returning change. The driver of the tuc-tuc was to show me a recipt for twice the amount of money for my order! Now my opinion of these guys as worsened for sure, they are that of just lowdown crooks when it comes to money, moving on -
Achar gosht has always been one of my favourable dishes, it’s something to do with the combination of the spices and pickles, with the slight taste of vinegar, and the tender cut of stewed meat, then the richness of the gravy.
Achar gosht is an authentic Pakistani recipe which combines a range of flavours to interest your palate. Overall, achar gosht or achari gosht looks like the usual curry dish, but it is far from ordinary. Traditionally, achar gosht is in fact a spicy pickled mutton curry. However, it can also be beef or chicken So, this achar gosht from the restaurant is actually made with stewing beef! It’s lovely tender meat that as cooked over a period of time. Indulge in the tangy and tart flavours of the pickle with the umami flavour of the beef. For those of you wondering whether or not this curry has high heat, yes it does!
Achar gosht is a very popular Pakistani recipe. It celebrates the traditional cuisine of Uttar Pradesh and combines achari flavours with pickle and meat. In addition, it is a very popular dish for serving during weddings and celebrations.

WOW this is a excellent dish, that of an exception in Phnom Penh

I highly recommend this dish. Yes, for sure it is one of the higher prices, but well worth the money.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Last night I ordered once more from Princella Flavors Of Saffron. This time Chicken Saag.
A chicken saag or saagwala curry, despite the exotic name this is nothing more than a chicken and spinach curry.
The dish is that of another favourite from northern India and Pakistan.

Beef Kofta Saag, my favourite dish of all time. Let’s cook, also using leftovers from the last order.

Starting with the mix of masala

Fry the masala mix

Then add half of the masala mix to the beef mincemeat

Roll the mince and mixture into balls adding flower if you wish to help bind the mixture

Fry the meatballs on all sides, then add the remainder masala mix

Then make a mix for the curry sauce, here I also add pickles (achar) my home made ones

Then I add the spinach and serve

Tender but cooked well

Enjoy
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I have not made any contribution to the thread for sometime, but it's not because I have had no curries, I have in fact had many, I don't think I have to convince anyone on that score, lets just say nothing had been worthy of writing down, or rather typing on the keyboard, too put it into some kind of context, out of a dozen meals, maybe two of them may have something of sorts, that of a simple requirement to pass my expectations of what a Indian meal should be, that being a well prepared with care and the right ingredients. Taste and aroma of the dish is an important factor too myself, also a satisfactory filling meal, and cost, value for money, in this way I mean the use of correct ingredients without cutting corners for the restaurants trying to cut back on costs, a prime example of this, has written in the menu "boneless chicken breast" white meat, but not what you expected when scooping up the diced meat together with gravy on your chapati only to bite on a bone, being the chopped thigh of the bird, also being the equivalent to the same bought at a fraction of cost from the passing cart of the Khmer street food seller.

To put it mildly, most of the meal's I have had lately, have been something I have been very dissatisfied with, mainly down to the lack of any sort of quality to the dish, then obviously to warrant those costs to the buyer, one would hope to be receiving that of a fair meal that equals that of the value that you are asked to pay.
I still have one or two favorite places out of a bunch, but again they are not perfect, (possible that I am very particular) and can simply let themselves down at times, there's no consistency, is that a problem, or is it just showing we are all human after all.

One or two favorite meals -
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

The curry dishes I prefer are more northern India or Pakistani.

Achar Beef, I like the flavour of the gravy, here the pickles and vinegar make this dish.

I also add one or two pickles of my own stock.

Now here back on graffiti street on a late evening return to view some art! Turns out to be a new Indian restaurant, and they take centre stage, you can't miss the place without running into it, but I did, being involved with taking photos of the street art it was my partner who suddenly made me aware.

Beware my partner can eat some hot and spicy curries, but she struggled here with the heat of the dishes.

This little set is situated on the left street of the night market, riverside. $3
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Has you all know I get many of my curry meal's delivered by food panda, are any other members using there service.
We have had previously the decision of how they can deliver free, and that also a discount meal. There are more discounts and offers to be had, such as one of their latest "STAYSAFE" aimed at the covid-19, seems reasonable to get a delivery of food then going out too a restaurant, possibly putting yourself at risk, that promotion would give you even more off your already discounted order, but of course to qualify a certain amount must be spent on your food order.
Another thing is that many of the restaurant's don't always put drinks on the menu, so because most orders are that of free delivery and at a minimum order, I tend to make another order from another restaurant offering drinks and also desert. I found to my surprise last weekend on doing this, the second restaurant didn't follow up with my order, and another order was cancelled, I presume the rider was sheltering from the heavy rain that had started. So as a result food panda emails you, telling you to reorder, and also compansates you for them failing to deliver your order. to the tune of about just over a dollar, and you can use that on your next order to get the discount. All I can imagine why my order failed to be delivered, one food panda contacted me and told me the staff of one restaurant were unobtainable, and I could safely say the riders may not deliver in heavy rain. But even so over two nights ordering at the weekend I received over $5 to compansate my failed delivery's.
I wonder how food panda are going to do in this country?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

If they failed to deliver twice I wouldn't be giving them a third chance, your hungry you make an order then wait and wait getting hungrier at what point do you say stuff it and cook something yourself.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:40 am If they failed to deliver twice I wouldn't be giving them a third chance, your hungry you make an order then wait and wait getting hungrier at what point do you say stuff it and cook something yourself.
It's not giving them a third chance! It's actually giving me my third dollar, and I now know that the restaurant in question will not deliver for me, I have ordered drinks for the last two nights, I get just over a dollar for them failing to give my order to the food panda delivery service.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I am finding it to be that of a few restaurants giving quality for price on takeaway meals. There are one or two that are quoted on the food panda site, too be offering discounts at weekends (yes, they do) but the same discount runs throughout weekdays too. 40 to 50% discounts can be sort everyday with free delivery from food panda.
Two poppadom can be had for $0.50

Rajasthan lamb dish for has little price $4.40

I added a few fried potatoes of my own.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic