The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Curry Club

Post by AndyKK »

Well another good meal last night, opting for the plain chicken massala of the Phnom Penh Indian restaurants, I do quote exactly has I say “plain”, and can be a little confusing that firstly being a curry and second being masala, a mix of spices, usually the curry dish is cooked or cooking and spices are added whilst the curry is cooking.

But I am from the northern part of England, with my back yard being that of the capital northern curry centre of Bradford, or 'Bradistan'. Slang name for the West Yorkshire city, it has had a tendency to be referred, due to the large Muslim population, with the area dominant of Indian restaurants and takeaways, but even this is very confusing because the origin is of Pakistani, Indians tend too actually run business such has what we know has corner shops, but so few restaurants, if they do, there found to appeal more upmarket, or that of a trendy chain type that may have a few branches in the country.

Getting back to the subject of the dish, I have previously found it too be more then what it is here, curry alone is the less spiced dish, but masalas offer a combination of many tastes to the palate, mixes of veriaty would also differ from each eating establishments, unfortunately that is not the case in the city of Phnom Penh. I don’t know why this is, all seem to use the same basics, it makes me wonder, is it because there are limitations on what may be available, or just the cheapness or quality, or am I missing something, ether way it is most disappointing to the customer, or do I myself expect too much.

While on the subject it’s always been believed that the dish chicken tikka massala originates from the UK, a result of a couple of Asian chiefs knocked up the dish. Its popularity is high with British curry fans.
In 2001, British Foreign Secretary Robin Cook mentioned the dish in a speech acclaiming the benefits of Britain's multiculturalism, declaring: Chicken tikka massala is now a true British national dish, not only because it is the most popular, but because it is a perfect illustration of the way Britain absorbs and adapts external influences. Chicken tikka is an Indian dish. The masala sauce was added to satisfy the desire of British people to have their meat served in gravy.

Chicken tikka massala is served in restaurants around the world including Indian restaurants in Britain and North America. According to a 2012 survey of 2,000 people in Britain, it was the country's second-most popular foreign dish to cook, after Chinese stir fry.

Moving back to the dish in question, the chicken massala I referred at the start was a good meal, it was, not bad at all, that is on the basis of what to expect here in the capital city of Cambodia. I may sound that little bit harsh, and that maybe so, I am no expert food critic or gourmet. I am no different from everyone, just wanting fairness in quality and an authentic taste in return for my money.

This, I suppose it makes the dish more worth what is the initial cost, that moreso if the dish is good to start with! I will extend the original meal into two, then it is more cost effective. With this particular dish I was left with some rice and only the gravy from the curry massala. So, with very few ingredients to add, onion and tomato, plus of all thing’s cucumber, but an assortment of pickles to make the dish what it is, add also dried chilli peppers if preferred. You would now have yourself a very tasty Achar dish.
I did of course make my own pickled onions for the first time.

Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I had an absolute SHIT afternoon around the area of Olympic, I gone to pick up some bike parts, that I had, aranged with the shop in the morning, with them confirming with also photos and price, when I arrived in the area I phoned the boss again to give me the number on the street, he handed me over to talk with his sister to give me directions, firstly in the opposite direction, but in the end I arrived. But I had the feeling that I got sent on a run around. The guy, her brother was no where to be found, one part I aranged to buy was a end-can, also having the photo and price from them. "No have Thai man buy yesterday". I said why did you send me information about this product this morning? She told me to look at the range they had now, all were twice the price and above, I left, and went to another shop in the area, none of the staff talked English, I painfully watched five guys try fit something on my MSX, it wasn't happening so I interrupted after a good hour, put all the parts in a box, they coved it with a plastic bag and taped it to the back of the bike, then one of the guys came over, away from the boss and other workers, he apologised in perfect English to me for not being able to do the job. It still gets me how the people conduct business here.

I was dying of thirst and peckish, so I called at the Royal India.

Chicken Bhuna with Chapatti and a sweet lassi

It was really a need, subsistence for sure that I was in need of, I took half home in a takeaway bag. $8 the cost.

Bhuna is technically an Indian cooking technique in which spices are fried in very hot oil, often until they have formed a paste. For many people, however, the term bhuna is used to refer to a curry dish which has been prepared using these fried spices. This type of curry usually consists of meat, vegetables, or a combination of the two, cooked and served in a thick, spiced sauce. It is common throughout the Bengal region of northeast India and western Bangladesh.

My day didn't end without more confusing encounters, I called in at the only pharmacy in Phnom Penh who stocks the medicine my partner needs on a daily basis. There's two more options, one Pharmacy in Koh Kong and another in Kampong Cham.
Now I have been a regular at this pharmacy for well over a year, and they gave me their personal phone numbers in case I needed anything in an emergency, also they were waiting for stock and told me when it was available. I went in and bid them hello. The husband pharmacist said, what can we do for you, I said you know what medicine I collect, he said to me "I don't know you"? Help, what is with these people.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It was going to be an order from Haveli Indian Cuisine once again.

This is the food, Chicken Kadahi (Karahi) that is suited to what I am more used too, also the gosht dishes with there slightly richer tastes, a dish of made up from the, Karahi Mutton Kofta Saag (meatball and spinach) would be my all time favoured.

Kadahi Chicken
Karahi or Kadahi comes from prakrit word Kataha, mentioned in Ramayana, Sushruta Samhita. Karahi vessel is first mentioned in the Vedas as bharjanapatra.
It is a type of thick, circular, and deep cooking pot that originated in the Indian subcontinent.
Chicken karahi - this is how I would have recognised of knowing the dish.
known as gosht karahi when prepared with goat or lamb meat instead of chicken, or kadahi chicken, is a dish from the Indian subcontinent noted for its spicy taste; it is notable in North Indian and Pakistani cuisine. The Pakistani version does not have peppers (capsicum) or onions whereas the North Indian version uses capsicum. The dish is prepared in a karahi. It can take between 30 and 50 minutes to prepare and cook the dish and can be stored for later consumption. It can be served with naan, roti or rice. This dish is one of the hallmarks of Indian and Pakistani cuisine.

Overall I am going to rate this dish, being the better suited to my tastes, to be one of the better meals in Phnom Penh, I recommend it is worth trying. :beer3:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Butter chicken
(murgh makhani) a super easy, full flavoured butter chicken recipe that rivals any restaurant or take out!
Similar to Chicken Tikka Masala, Butter Chicken is one of the most popular curries at any Indian restaurant around the world. Aromatic golden chicken pieces in an incredible creamy curry sauce, this Butter Chicken recipe is one of the best you will try! You will love how easy it is to make in the comfort of your own home, especially with garlic butter rice and fresh homemade Naan bread.
Butter chicken originated from Northern India in 1948. Created by Kundan Lal Gujral, you may notice that Butter Chicken (known as murgh makhani — chicken with butter), is similar to British tikka masala.
Prepared in a buttery gravy with the addition of cream gives the curry sauce a silky smooth rich texture. Most restaurants are known to add in copious amounts of butter, which as a result can leave you feeling bloated or ill from the slick of grease.
However, we found while recipe testing that we prefer to start the sauce off in Ghee (clarified butter, or you can use a combination of half regular butter and half oil).
Adding cream at the end of cooking provides enough of that richness you look for in an authentic butter chicken. Our less oily version leaves you feeling good and satisfied.

atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Happy paradise pizza riverside, had Khmer curry $3 and 50 cents for rice , lots flavors not to hot as requested lots chicken sweet potato carrot and beans very filling, it's the second one I've had both great.

I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

atst wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:57 am Happy paradise pizza riverside, had Khmer curry $3 and 50 cents for rice , lots flavors not to hot as requested lots chicken sweet potato carrot and beans very filling, it's the second one I've had both great.

Was it your birthday?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:57 am Happy paradise pizza riverside, had Khmer curry $3 and 50 cents for rice , lots flavors not to hot as requested lots chicken sweet potato carrot and beans very filling, it's the second one I've had both great.

Time to time I will eat Khmer Curry, mostly when traveling, mostly it's because it is that of a safe bet, most restaurants with it on there menu do not differ from the next, possibly with only exception of portion size and price. Also I have not found in the past of anywhere to equal my partners cooking of the treditanal Khmer Curry.
Happy paradise pizza still has my good review from over a year back I notice. Cheap eats and beers, was and still is a place I visit, more so with opening till late.
P,S next door is the best pizza :beer3:
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:25 am

Was it your birthday?
No but thought I'd splash out and take the missus for a treat
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

The choice today was that of an afternoon meal from Princella Flavors Of Saffron. This is a restaurant too I have hoped to visit, but never happened, mainly due to the recommendation of booking beforehand, also I find the menu prices a little high, being one of the high-end Indian restaurants in Phnom Penh, but I gathered that the family of the place offer a truly uneque service.

Aloo gosht is a meat curry, originating from the Indian subcontinent, and popular in Pakistani, Bangladeshi and North Indian cuisine. It consists of potatoes (aloo) cooked with meat (gosht). It is a favourite and common dish in Pakistan.
There are various methods of cooking aloo gosht. Generally, the preparation method involves simmering lamb or beef pieces and potatoes over medium heat, with various spices.

Lamb or beef meat is cut into chunks and placed into a stew pot over heat. Chicken may be used as an alternative to lamb or beef. Tomatoes, along with cinnamon, bay leaves, ginger, garlic, red chili powder, cumin seeds, fried onions, black cardamom, garam masala and cooking oil are added and stirred. Potatoes and salt are mixed in. Water is added, in a proportion that is enough to cover the meat, and brought to the boil. The aloo gosht is covered and left to simmer until the meat becomes tender. Once ready, it may be garnished with chopped coriander leaves and served hot. The dish can be served and eaten with plain rice or with bread such as roti, paratha or naan.
Overall, the meal was excellent in every way, I didn’t expect any different with the reviews I had read, but mostly it is again the food I prefer.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Thought I'd break the bank again but not to much so no rice , back to paradise pizza riverside $3 green curry chicken beans potatoes pumpkin very nice and fulling

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic