The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Curry Club

Post by AndyKK »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:35 pm Just a couple of thoughts on the discounted deliveries.
Many restaurants have shifted to a parallel model. (effectively, if not formally) They dont cost take-aways or deliveries as part of the restaurant biz. its separated.
Costs are far lower if you do not have to run a serviced restaurant - so the respective meals are priced accordingly.

Secondly - competition is fierce for the home delivery dollar, and it is such a crucial part of the industry today that restaurants have to partake - so prices reflect that desperate competition.
It's a buyers market yum yum

enjoy it while you can, it will probable settle out into cartel situation before too long - or else turn into a race to the bottom for price and quality
or it could stay good maybe
Yes, being a advancement of the computer world leaves oneself comfortable in ones own surroundings nowadays, as long has you have access too Wi-Fi. The Cambodian power-cuts could bring you back out into the open. But even so the system is good for ones own self isolation in this time of covid19.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foodpanda

https://www.foodpanda.com.kh/en/contents/deals
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:35 pm Just a couple of thoughts on the discounted deliveries.
Many restaurants have shifted to a parallel model. (effectively, if not formally)
Costs are far lower if you do not have to run a serviced restaurant - so the respective meals are priced accordingly.

Secondly - competition is fierce for the home delivery dollar, and it is such a crucial part of the industry today that restaurants have to partake - so prices reflect that desperate competition.

enjoy it while you can, it will probable settle out into cartel situation before too long - or else turn into a race to the bottom for price and quality
They dont cost take-aways or deliveries as part of the restaurant biz. its separated.

Unless they have an extremely comfortable and very well air conditioned restaurant that is a pleasure to be in all by itself (I have yet to find one here yet) a 30-40% discount is risking diverting your premium clients to delivery clients leaving you still with the rent and wages to pay. It's just too generous and, like Andy has demonstrated, you get 3 or 4 meals for less than $5 a head and has travelled no further than his front door. Also, they have lost all their booze sales, another big earner with a curry house. In the UK they put up with the drunks after the pub shuts because they get to sell them a few more overpriced beers with their meal.

Take away has always been a part of Indian restaurants business models because it travels well, unlike many foods which really need to be served immediately.

I don't doubt S.A in his reasoning for why they do it, but I do doubt the wisdom of it for restaurants with a strong existing client base.

Having said all that, I am definitely going to give it a try so kudos to AndyKK for posting it. :hattip:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Many restaurants have shifted to a parallel model. (effectively, if not formally) They dont cost take-aways or deliveries as part of the restaurant biz. its separated.

Think you are right with what you say. Let's hope it stays a buyer's market. But, what I have noticed for sometime now, and you may have sensed some disappointment in some of my post's, that one of the problems has been with quality, together with price riser's. Now I don't know how people think in business here in Cambodia, but with a lack of tourists in the country it is going to hit many restaurants with lack of customers, so that's what I have seen quality lacking on meals, possiblity of cutting corners with ingredients, and also prices going up, thinking less custom higher price will make up the money. I would be aiming the other way, good food, lower price, hopefully to gain more customers.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Best Indian restaurant still for me is that of MasalaTwist Indian Halal Restaurant, in Kampot.
All the food is first class. But most of all the best is the Vindaloo. So new challenge because I fancy hot and spicy, The Vindaloo challenge.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:40 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:35 pm They dont cost take-aways or deliveries as part of the restaurant biz. its separated.
[/b]
risking diverting your premium clients to delivery clients

I don't doubt S.A in his reasoning for why they do it, but I do doubt the wisdom of it for restaurants with a strong existing client base.
It is developing into a seperate market, Doc. (apparently) You are not diverting restaurant customers to eat at home.
They decide to either eat in or eat out - then start thinking about which restaurant to use.

The serviced restaurant has to stand alone on the eat-in market, and visa versa.
If either one subsidises the other - they will be at a competitive disadvantage within that particular market with resturants that aren't subsidising something else..

That is the emerging theory/practice by many restaurants in the west in response to this new delivery market becoming so big so quick. (So i read in the biz pages anyway)
But of course the restaurant industry is so individualised, and so open to different businesses doing there own little thing, that you are going to see a wide range of responses to this parallel market thing.
Add to that the mystification of Cambodian business thinking...

NB NB - this info is just what i read in popular reporting about the industry.
It's not my theory or even my observations. But it does make sense.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

fyi;
doesn't matter if ur running a food cart, take out delivery or a 5 star establishment
your food costs need be under 35% to be successful an profitable

Selling a taco from a street cart ( there was one i used to buy from) for a $1
the total ingredients should be less than $.35
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

There's two places in Phnom Penh that are not restaurants, meaning they don't have facilities for the customer to eat their food in doors, they only provide takeout and delivery service. One of those two catering for world food's I believe, and a little expensive for my liking, but then again I do forget I am in the countries capital city.
Also looking at this type of enterprise, only kitchen staff and possibly someone to take the order by phone or computer and arrange payment and delivery, cuts out waiting service and the cost of restaurant setup and expenses. It may have been also wise to have someone to deliver the initially relying on moto-dops and tuk-tuks, but now with such has food panda (being there responsibility) that side of business is taken care of. It may also have been no doubt that the food delivery took off more so with isolation precautions due to the unfortunate time of covid-19.

Anyhow good luck to all food services now let me order mine and get on with my Vindaloo challenge.

We see here a $3.60 overall saving, but mostly free delivery, on time, in tact and warm.
This was my choice of food for the first of the new challenge, also it is quite a upmarket place in BKK1 and a place I have looked at and was more reluctant to pay such a price for my meal, I don't need all the eligant surroundings and the class that can be evolved around such restaurants, it's simply the quality of the food that concerns myself. And I must say that it certainly showed with this meal.

I always add my own coriander and salad, yogurt. The rice was cooked good without grains sticking together, nan bread was just right to accompany the curry dish. The Vindaloo, nice cuts of chicken with good potato to balance the meal, just the right taste of spice infused slightly with vinegar, just got enough, all curry addicts should know it's only the piss head's back at home who think the dish should blow your head off. In reality it maybe on the hot side, but if it's made good it will be palatable without grabbing the glass of water to put out the fire. If I was to mark the food alone on its own merits I would give it a top mark 5/5.
Let's hope for the next too be has good.
All I can add is wonderful in a nutshell. Also I will have one more serving from the order.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Looking at the app food panda this evening, the choice was too be, Namaste India Restaurant Street 308, Tonle Bassac.
So this is to be the second serving of the Vindaloo challenge. The order arrived on time, and to the street where I live with no name, not like many other in Phnom Penh. Actually to get to where I live is a bit of a warren to put it mildly.

The food arrived on time, and just how I ordered, its a pity the restaurant didn't add a little complementary mint sauce or salad.

Like I have mentioned on other posts before I add my own little bits of salad and yoghurt. So lets dish it up and take a look.

Not bad, the curry (gravy) is that of the thin type, I like ether, the thinner is usually compared to a south Indian dish, but this is more between the two. The chicken is very tender and overall looks a good quality dish. But wait! Where are the potato? I looked on there restaurant menu on google, yes they haven't forgotten, they just don't add potatoes.

So, here we have our meal, looks good.

Rice, it seems a more low grade from our last meal, could actually be mixed with Cambodian rice due to most defiantly having short grains there, and a lack of taste. (this will not matter soon). Like I mentioned the chicken was first class, pity about the absence of potato. So what of the taste? Nice taste of the black pepper, you can see the speckles of them alongside the red firery chilli pepper paste. Wow! Where is my yoghurt to cool my mouth just a little, unfortunately tonight I have none. I wonder if the chef's worked in England before. But here we have it.

Altogether not a bad meal, and I am full and also won a beer. If you like your curries firery hot, order here. Marks I would give 4/5 down one because of the quality of rice and lack of potato that makes, and is expected with the dish.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:11 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:40 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:35 pm They dont cost take-aways or deliveries as part of the restaurant biz. its separated.
[/b]
risking diverting your premium clients to delivery clients

It is developing into a seperate market, Doc. (apparently) You are not diverting restaurant customers to eat at home.
They decide to either eat in or eat out - then start thinking about which restaurant to use.

The serviced restaurant has to stand alone on the eat-in market, and visa versa.
If either one subsidises the other - they will be at a competitive disadvantage within that particular market with resturants that aren't subsidising something else..

That is the emerging theory/practice by many restaurants in the west in response to this new delivery market becoming so big so quick. (So i read in the biz pages anyway)
But of course the restaurant industry is so individualised, and so open to different businesses doing there own little thing, that you are going to see a wide range of responses to this parallel market thing.
Add to that the mystification of Cambodian business thinking...

NB NB - this info is just what i read in popular reporting about the industry.
It's not my theory or even my observations. But it does make sense.

What you said makes a lot of sense, however my contention of the risk of diverting eat-in into delivery customers is still valid. The basis of their decision to eat in or eat out must surely be influenced by, amongst other things, price and convenience. A 40% discount is a huge influencer.

Now we have Covid-19 and strict social distancing in many parts of the world, I can see the transition to delivery being fast-forwarded in a very (creatively?) destructive way. As an example, in the UK, many people are still working at home and this has led to a very welcome boost to local high street restaurants who have suffered decades of decline in their lunchtime trade. Now they have thousands of local residents who are in the vicinity during the day and are bargain hunting for lunchtime specials. Meanwhile city centre eateries are bleeding red ink at a terrifying rate.

We see companies seriously reconsidering their need for large city centre offices and this will have an enormous effect on the bricks and mortar restaurants that surround those office buildings. Virtual restaurants with great websites, food that 'travels well' and fast delivery
systems could be another blow to traditional sit in places.

Food for thought...
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:22 am There's two places in Phnom Penh that are not restaurants, meaning they don't have facilities for the customer to eat their food in doors, they only provide takeout and delivery service. One of those two catering for world food's I believe, and a little expensive for my liking, but then again I do forget I am in the countries capital city.
Also looking at this type of enterprise, only kitchen staff and possibly someone to take the order by phone or computer and arrange payment and delivery, cuts out waiting service and the cost of restaurant setup and expenses. It may have been also wise to have someone to deliver the initially relying on moto-dops and tuk-tuks, but now with such has food panda (being there responsibility) that side of business is taken care of. It may also have been no doubt that the food delivery took off more so with isolation precautions due to the unfortunate time of covid-19.

Anyhow good luck to all food services now let me order mine and get on with my Vindaloo challenge.

We see here a $3.60 overall saving, but mostly free delivery, on time, in tact and warm.
This was my choice of food for the first of the new challenge, also it is quite a upmarket place in BKK1 and a place I have looked at and was more reluctant to pay such a price for my meal, I don't need all the eligant surroundings and the class that can be evolved around such restaurants, it's simply the quality of the food that concerns myself. And I must say that it certainly showed with this meal.

I always add my own coriander and salad, yogurt. The rice was cooked good without grains sticking together, nan bread was just right to accompany the curry dish. The Vindaloo, nice cuts of chicken with good potato to balance the meal, just the right taste of spice infused slightly with vinegar, just got enough, all curry addicts should know it's only the piss head's back at home who think the dish should blow your head off. In reality it maybe on the hot side, but if it's made good it will be palatable without grabbing the glass of water to put out the fire. If I was to mark the food alone on its own merits I would give it a top mark 5/5.
Let's hope for the next too be has good.
All I can add is wonderful in a nutshell. Also I will have one more serving from the order.
I always add my own coriander and salad, yogurt.

I do the same. Red onions, tomato and cucumber in a mint yoghurt, with fresh chopped coriander over the lot.

I have always steered clear of Vindaloo because I didn't trust the UK restaurants not to try to blow my head off thinking that what is desired. It's interesting to hear that this place doesn't try that trick. I might well give it a go as my tolerance to chilli heat is quite high at the moment. Thanks for the tip.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic