Lawyering up

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
barrelscraper
Tourist
Great Britain

Lawyering up

Post by barrelscraper »

Hello you lot

Can anyone recommend to me a lawyer who has knowledge of Cambodian labor law? Without going into too much detail, me and my former employer (a Cambodia based but foreign run NGO) are not ending on good terms, and I am owed money. So I am, ideally, looking for a very competent Cambodian lawyer who speaks great English and is also not too expensive. (Yes, you get what you pay for, but you can also only pay what you have).

Thanks in advance, but I don't want lots of messages telling me that the system here is corrupt and that an NGO can simply bribe its way out of any legal action. I actually don't think my former employer would do that, but then i wouldn't be considering legal action if i felt they always behaved well so maybe I am wrong. I'm not looking to get any damages or compensation money, just what I am entitled to.

All tips and advice welcome. Thank you very much.

B S
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Re: Lawyering up

Post by fazur »

ministry of labor

mlvt.gov.kh/index.php?lang=en
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Saying you will complain or cause problems at MoI and MoEF (and MoFAIC) might have more effect at less cost
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

or email the donors
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Unless its more than 4-5,000, its just not worth the hassle.
Write if off and move on.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Some very good advice here, Tuppence
for someone planning on playin' this game
personal opinion
Spoiler:
Get your lawyer to call a big bluff with a strongly worded letter. If that doesn't work - seriously consider walkin'. There are no rules that guarantee "justice" in this card game in this country
barrelscraper
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by barrelscraper »

Thanks and I appreciate all of this advice, some of which I had considered.

I am trying very hard to behave ethically throughout all of this. The financial sum is not inconsiderable but that's not the main reason I will pursue it, it's simply that there are practices that they have pursued for a few years which are wrong and must be stopped on behalf of future employees. There's a little bit of natural justice at work here, too, which is the stubborn part of me not wanting to let them simply get away with treating staff badly and not just in financial terms.

But they do good work too and I don't want to damage them with funders or ministries if I can help it, so I'm treading very carefully.

That's why I would at least like to speak to a lawyer. It might even help simply to say that I have been in discussions with one.

B S
Bedazzler!
Expatriate

Post by Bedazzler! »

Why do you believe you are owed money? Is it for past wages performed or for something else?
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

i would do it for $500-1000 these are hard times, bad time to lose work
barrelscraper
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by barrelscraper »

Actually, I'm not certain that they will end up refusing to pay me (its for something I am contractually entitled to, lets put it like that). They have indicated they will not but that's under appeal. There are a lot of other complexities to the situation. I want to try and contact a lawyer so I am fully prepared and not on the back foot if they stick with their decision not to pay.

B S
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic