How do expats transport infants and toddlers around town?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bedazzler!
Expatriate

How do expats transport infants and toddlers around town?

Post by Bedazzler! »

My wife is expecting our first child. In my home country, they do not let you drive your child home from the hospital unless you have an approved car seat. We don't have a car here, we both ride bikes and sometimes take tuk tuks.

Do most expat parents buy car seats and use only taxis and strap the car seat into the taxi every time they go somewhere? Or do the moms just hold the babies in their laps?

I wouldn't want to put the baby in one of those Grab rickshaws but what about the old style tuk tuks? Can we use those are is that a bad idea with an infant?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: How do expats transport infants and toddlers around town?

Post by Username Taken »

Time for you to buy a car and keep your family safe.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Bite back the urge to be overly you, and trust a little in natural instinct to get the job done without too much nanny-state rules and regs getting in the way. Then, keep in your back pocket some of the better parts of modern thinking that are really just good practical common sense, but which often get lost in the noise of excessive health and safety.

SWMBO is banned from taking the lad on the moto. It’s not open to discussion. But we’ve travelled quite a bit by hire car, Tuk-Tuk, taxi and rickshaw-type-thingie. I had to fight back the need to control- little fella did fine being held.
Little fella is not left alone to play with big plastic bags, or run around with sharp objects. He is learning all by himself to not bang his head so often. Kids and SWMBO and self are working out what needs to be kept out of his reach- mainly everything.
SWMBO is learning just as much about the situation as I am. We’re just learning different things.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Whats wrong with the way the rest of the population gets around? Strap the baby in a snuggly and get going via moto. If you need more space call a taxi.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bedazzler! wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:15 am My wife is expecting our first child. In my home country, they do not let you drive your child home from the hospital unless you have an approved car seat. We don't have a car here, we both ride bikes and sometimes take tuk tuks.

Do most expat parents buy car seats and use only taxis and strap the car seat into the taxi every time they go somewhere? Or do the moms just hold the babies in their laps?

I wouldn't want to put the baby in one of those Grab rickshaws but what about the old style tuk tuks? Can we use those are is that a bad idea with an infant?
We always drove our toddler in between us on the motorcycle, in front of me if was just the two of us.

If you're that paranoid about safety maybe Cambodia isn;t the best place to raise your child because risks in general are maybe too high for you to accept?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Foot, moto, tuk tuk, car and/taxi, bicycle and city bus are just some of the conventional options available to you and your future toddler.

Why not jazz things up a little and start truck surfing with the nipper strapped to your chest also? Be a good bonding experience.

On a serious note, about the only rule I have with my kids and transport here is : Helmet, tightly strapped. And not some shitty plastic thing from China, Vietnam or Thailand. A real helmet.
Last edited by Jerry Atrick on Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Tuktuk sounds great. A taxi seems completely reasonable given the age of the child and that you're new parents and are understandably nervous. Personally, I do cringe when I see people riding around with a 5yr old on the back of a moto, but I'd be curious to know if many of them actually end up hurt because of it. I wouldn't be surprised if the number were Very low. And that's with what seems to me like the completely retarded "I don't care if my child dies" approach. A car-seat seems like the obvious only safe thing to do in a western country where you have roads Full of jackasses in cars going 60mph, but here it's pretty chill and slow moving traffic. Even if a tuktuk or moto hit you at low speed, you're probably gonna be just fine anyway.
Username Taken wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:57 am Time for you to buy a car and keep your family safe.
You don't have to automatically revert to western standards for your child to be OK. For those with common sense, that should be enough.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic