The Cambodian Coronavirus Exception ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Re: The Cambodian Coronavirus Exception ?

Post by jah steu »

Nobody has mentioned the growing belief that the virus has already swept through Cambodia between October last year and February this year.
There are many anecdotal reports of people having very corona-like symptoms during this period.
Possibly there was a spike in deaths but it’s hard to access data on this.
With the huge influx of Chinese, many direct from Wuhan, during this period it seems logical that many infected visitors would have arrived and passed on the disease.
So when the international media started reporting on this new virus early this year, it was possibly already well and truly in Cambodia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I wonder about this too.
Late last year, there was a nasty bug that went around (many of my colleagues, but not most). I got it. Dry cough, becomes a heavily congested cough. Normal daily exertion not being a problem, but a brisk walk uphill may have many of us puffing a little harder than normal.
It lingered for weeks- this was a common observation; once over the worst of it, it just just lingered.

Early this year, I had a similar thing, around the same time as the whole covid-19 thing started affecting society worldwide. Due to various concerns over travel restrictions, I was seen by a doctor, and pronounced fit to fly and travel. The symptoms were largely similar as before, but recovery a bit quicker.

A common factor in both cases may be that we frequent many of the same hotels as the large numbers of international crews. Namely, China/Far East. For me, it occurred in the same place. As flightcrew, we also spend a lot of time travelling on passenger flights getting around Europe, and in my case, commuting a further 8 times a year to Asia.

At the time, nothing much was thought about it. Just a nasty cold, to be endured like all man-flu. In the second event, I was seen by doctors in Paris and in Phnom Penh, and it was concluded that I didn’t meet the criteria that suggested Covid-. Namely, no fever. As it turns out, later there were many reports that corona/Covid patients didn’t always have a fever.

Previously, there were two criteria being used as a sort of Triage(?). Cough AND fever. You’d need both to qualify for testing. The fever criteria remained even as more reports were seen in media that patients had developed the disease, but had not experienced any fever. Now, more recently, I’ve seen that the criteria includes a third symptom; fatigue/tiredness, with an and/or for all three.

Does Cambodia have a herd immunity already?
Is cambodia that different from any other Asian nations that have experienced serious turmoil over the last few generations?

As for worldwide patient numbers that succumb being skewed by including folk who may have died of other causes anyway, with Covid-19 simply hastening the process- it might be hard to determine at present. The old swamp and alligators issue seems a pertinent, if maybe a little light hearted analogy.

One thing is certain- I’d rather not find out that I have any other underlying health issues by getting Covid-19. I would be interested to know, though, if I’d already been through this previously.
numacsys
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by numacsys »

Two days ago I went to Makro with my landlord and his wife. They weren't wearing masks. I asked why they don't do so and his reply was Cambodians have lived through far more difficult times and that as a result of those hardships he claims they developed a strong immunity which he justifies by comparing other Asian countries' covid statistics. He went on and on about "You don't understaaaaaaand mister, Cambodia people all have tuberculosis vaxan (sic)" (his Frenchy way of saying TB shots)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

numacsys wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:31 am Two days ago I went to Makro with my landlord and his wife. They weren't wearing masks. I asked why they don't do so and his reply was Cambodians have lived through far more difficult times and that as a result of those hardships he claims they developed a strong immunity which he justifies by comparing other Asian countries' covid statistics. He went on and on about "You don't understaaaaaaand mister, Cambodia people all have tuberculosis vaxan (sic)" (his Frenchy way of saying TB shots)
yes harder times, but how does living thru the Pol Pot times have anything to do with ur immune system?
as to those saying it only affects the old, there lots of cases of kids and people in their 30-50 getting it and dying.

I dont have any answers, but i think as others that have suggested, maybe its swept thru in dec- jan an people got it and some died, but as no one was testing...... it was not attributed to covid

One only has to look at he numbers in China compared to the states & Europe (died vs population) and wonder

Low testing...low results
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

xandreu wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:35 pm Personally I'm surprised that this issue isn't at the forefront of people's mind when discussing Covid-19. For me, it's such an anomaly it's difficult to believe, considering the hugely contageous nature of the virus.

It has spread so rapidly and so uncontrollably throughout populations that we're now at a stage where we can't ignore the fact that some countries appear to have been relitively untouched whilst others have seen such apocalyptic levels of cases.

I can't offer any answers. Perhaps there isn't one single answer. The only three things I can come up with is
1 - The climate.
2- The average age of the populations (most developing nations have a median age of under 22yo)
3 - The overall health of populations. There is far less obesity and as such, underlying health issues in developing nations than there is in developed ones.

I don't think any one of these individually is responsible, but when you factor in all three, perhaps that can account for it?

I have no idea. I don't think anyone does. But it is something that surely needs exploring. I wonder about it constantly. It baffles me.
I think all of the above, plus the later observation that perhaps the virus swept through Cambodia beforehand. There probably was a spike in deaths in January, but with a comparitively small population and a lack of any real autopsy - or for that matter any familial interest in finding out the true cause of death - the spike probably went unnoticed. I'd wager there is a spike, yet official data will simply contain "natural causes" or "pneumonia", etc.

If there is no spike, then I'm putting it down to mass natural vaccination by prahok - everyone in the world should have some! :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

rexwell wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:43 pm A young, mask-wearing, generally non smoking, Cambodian individual that lives on a diet of many natural local foods,
generally non-smoking? do we have stats for smoker numbers?

pretty high in rural areas imo

local foods crawling with additives msg refined sugar salt soy sauce, not really healthy, but west is worse
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I agree with most of the above. An added feature is that old people in Cambodia are not kept alive as they are in the west, and the healthcare system in Cambodia is very basic, so that old people (and other people) with serious illnesses are already dead. Whereas in the west, a lot of people are being kept alive thanks to modern medicine, that's not an option for most Cambodians with chronic health problems. If you are very ill, then you die.That's not a very elegant way of putting it, but you see what I mean.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

In addition to points previous posters made I'll add;-

relatively low levels of air pollution leave lungs in a healthier state so germs can be overcome more easily.
Scarier than malaria.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

ali baba wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:52 am In addition to points previous posters made I'll add;-

relatively low levels of air pollution leave lungs in a healthier state so germs can be overcome more easily.
Scientists are investigating the possibility that the coronavirus may attach itself to particles of air pollution, so there could be a link between air pollution and the rate of the virus spread.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -pollution
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic