Kampot Expat Woman Attacked by Bag Snatchers at Midday (UPDATED)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Kampot Expat Woman Attacked by Bag Snatchers at Midday (UPDATED)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A woman on a motorbike was attacked in Kampot by two men with a knife at around 3am, according to a poster on the Kampot Noticeboard. Stay safe.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I'll stay safe and won't be riding my motorcycle in quiet streets at 3am, not blaming the victim but isn't that asking for trouble?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

atst wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:19 pm I'll stay safe and won't be riding my motorcycle in quiet streets at 3am, not blaming the victim but isn't that asking for trouble?
Hardly - typically the streets are safe at all hours - but stuff like this happens a few times per year.

It's safe to say the blame is on the two knife wielding youths
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:28 pm
atst wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:19 pm I'll stay safe and won't be riding my motorcycle in quiet streets at 3am, not blaming the victim but isn't that asking for trouble?
Hardly - typically the streets are safe at all hours - but stuff like this happens a few times per year.

I wouldn't walk or ride anywhere around Kampot late at night let alone 3am, I'm not blaming the victim but you don't jump into shark infested waters then complain you got bitten. Anyone should be able to go anywhere at anytime but sadly you can't.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

atst wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:35 pm

I wouldn't walk or ride anywhere around Kampot late at night let alone 3am, I'm not blaming the victim but you don't jump into shark infested waters then complain you got bitten. Anyone should be able to go anywhere at anytime but sadly you can't.
You are risk averse, I get it

Hundreds, if not thousands of people ride around Kampot every night of the year - this sort of thing happens perhaps a half dozen times per year

It's as safe as anywhere, perhaps safer

That said; it's the week before Pchum Ben - a traditional robbery season - so extra vigilance is no harm
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:51 pm

Hundreds, if not thousands of people ride around Kampot every night of the year - this sort of thing happens perhaps a half dozen times per year

That said; it's the week before Pchum Ben - a traditional robbery season - so extra vigilance is no harm
I've had a phone snatched in kep daytime, I've been walking around Kampot late with girls and over the year's had at least 4 attempt's of bag snatching the girls handbags, lucky they are Khmer and aware. I only holiday in Kampot so not a local but if this happens in the small amount of time I'm there it's gotta be happening to locals. Kampot is no safer than Phnom Penh riverside late at night in my opinion. Of course these incidents don't make the news.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

KAMPOT: A woman tourist riding alone on a motorbike was attacked and slashed with a knife by two Cambodian men or teenagers in the middle of the day, on 27 May, while riding on a rental scooter to visit Kampot pepper plantations.

This violent attack on a woman in the middle of the day might deter tourists from visiting Kampot and Cambodia. People may be scared to travel to Kampot now, so police, please do your job and put these bandits in jail.

A woman tourist on a motorbike was attacked in broad daylight
Serious incident occurred yesterday on the road out to the pepper plantations. A female tourist riding a rental scooter was stopped by 2 teenagers who tried to rip off her handbag. She resisted and was sliced across the arm with a large knife. They got away with her belongings: The wound on her forearm is absolutely massive and she will undergo surgery today at Sonja Kil hospital. Absolutely shocking !!!!
No news from police yet but please be careful out there anyone traveling alone. This attack happened in broad daylight approx 2-3pm near the secret lake.
Kampot Noticeboard
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Ok. I used to think that people(in general) were taking the piss when complaining about violent crime in Kampot at 3am, but solo women being attacked by little fkers on motorbikes at midday, IMO that's :evil: Better get their heads fixed up because that is not ok.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

My partners 12 year old cousin was stopped by 3 khmer teenagers, ( his words) around 4 pm while on a honda dream between the white horse and the school on the road to the beach last august< they knocked him in the head and jumped on his bike and left>
he was ok enough to report to police who told him nothing they could do>

If Khmers want something, they will attempt to take it

why do you think Khmers lock their motorcycles ( and even cars) inside their homes at night?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:33 am

Ok. I used to think that people(in general) were taking the piss when complaining about violent crime in Kampot at 3am, but solo women being attacked by little fkers on motorbikes at midday, IMO that's :evil: Better get their heads fixed up because that is not ok.
Definitely not okay

However, one isolated and unusual violent incident almost a year after my previous post with five cop cars of pigs out looking for the culprits would seem to advance, rather than refute my point that it's as safe as anywhere and perhaps safer

In the same period a handful of westerners have literally been assinated by retard chavs in Phnom Penh, for example
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic