Kampot Expat Woman Attacked by Bag Snatchers at Midday (UPDATED)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Feelgood
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Kampot Expat Woman Attacked by Bag Snatchers at Midday (UPDATED)

Post by Feelgood »

In July was crossing old bridge on Friday night to go to Banyan Tree and three guys on Moto tried to steal my phone in my pocket, but failed. One had died purple hair dead skinny with slanty eyes. Reckon he was Youan.
In Sihanoukville the Vietnamese used to live on the Golden Lions for this purpose bag snatching. Saw two bag snatch an old barang lady. Another time one tried to bag snatch a girl passenger of mine. Don't know why she just had fresh air in there. Maybe they were just keeping their hand in like a Bull Shark.

Why didn't I report it before? Well I thought I would just get trolled anyway so why bother.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:06 am
John Bingham wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:28 pm
atst wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:33 pm There an uncomfortable feeling walking around kampot after dark, don't know what it is , it's a small town but just doesn't feel good after dark
there is a bad buzz in Kampot. It's always been sketchy, since they murdered all those backpackers there in 1994. The hills are full of maniacs bearing machetes. There are savages out there - you better believe it.
Don't forget the Druggie Rapey Gang preying on innocent naive young backpackers.
Are they still doing their pagan hallucinogenic-fuelled orgies and sex-slave trading thing?
Don't take the piss, SA. :nono:
There are at least one gang of hoods operating in Kampot and it's not funny - bag-snatching from motos etc.and some physical attacks . Some people have been hurt - not badly for now, but the level of violence seems to be increasing.
It's not surprising when so many young men have nothing to do - no work, no school, no money, then add in the meth and/or alcohol - but it's not a joke. Local people are targeted too.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Funny, I lived in Snooky from 2010 until 2017 and I don't recall hearing a single story, specifically or vaguely about Vietnamese bag snatchers hanging about the Golden Lions. And I lived only 300 metres away. When was this supposed to be?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It was actually on my first visit some years back, to the capital city of Phnom Penh, I was eating at a restaurant on the famous 51 street, open air, and crowded with Khmer and Westerners, the table too my left were a dinning party of mid aged Khmer ladies, handbags placed in the center of the table so they all could keep an eye on their belongings. Then a group of kids appear on approaching the customer's seated they have hands together in the Wai begging for money, one of the ladies took her bag and give the young boy some money, the other too his side snatched one of the other bags from the center of the table, so fast was this incedent of theft and they scarped quickly by going under the table nearest to the street, the waiter in hot pursuit, but unfortunately he came back empty handed. That's the only incident I have ever seen here, all the others I have only read about.
But a guy with purple hair, surely easy for the police to spot, if it was reported, but I gather you did not report it, so may be he will succeed with the next try. Also knowing, and well documented, also travel companies and government sites warning travelers too be aware of this crime in Cambodia, I wonder how many tourists have made false claims on their travel insurance.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

^^
What i said in no way disrespected or minimised the current problem.
Get over it.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

More from Kampot News:
Cambodia News (Kampot): On December 11, 2020, two PassApp drivers, two brothers, were arrested for attacking a British expat accused of not paying them money in Kampot.

The suspects were identified as Oeung Veasna, called Chrok and Swet, 21 years old, and Oeung Eunghout, 20 years old, two brothers from Banteay Meas district, Kampot. They were arrested for attacking a British man on the early hours of December 8, 2020, saying that the British man refused to pay for the ride and tried to attack them. So, then they attacked the British man and hit him with their belts.
The British man says that the suspects drove away in the wrong direction and then tried to rob him; the investigation says there was intentional violence toward the victim. The police are preparing the case to be submitted to Kampot provincial court.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

December 14, 2020
Expats victims of violence in Kampot as police investigate

A recent rash of often violent crimes targeting foreigners in Kampot province over the last two months has caused a wave of concern among some in the normally peaceful riverside tourist town.

Kampot Provincial Police chief Major General Mao Chanmathurith said he is aware of the issue and on December 11, police arrested a young Khmer tuk tuk driver and his brother after they allegedly attacked a British expat near the Salt Workers roundabout in Kampot city on December 7.

According to multiple expats in the area, most of the crimes have occurred near the roundabout – just a few blocks from Kampot city’s Old Market – and along National Road 33 leading to Kep.

Another incident involved a 27-year-old British expat, who gave her name as Elly, as she was bicycling home from a bar early in the morning on November 28 on National Road 33, also known as Kep Road.

She said she was ambushed by a group of at least three men in hiding as she turned onto the side road which led to her village.

“A man jumped out of the shadows and pushed me off my bike,” she said.

She said two of the men took off for the main road while one remained and tried to snatch her bag.

Elly said she was able to hold onto her bag by kicking him, but he then grabbed her foot and dragged her about 10 metres towards the main road.

“As he was dragging me I knew he wanted my phone or wallet, so I threw them in the bushes and started kicking him with my other foot,” she said.

She was able to break free but said the assailant managed to steal her bag. The suspect then hopped on a motorbike with his two accomplices, but Elly said she was able to retrieve her bag before they took off.

Elly then said she hid until she deemed it safe to grab her belongings and motorbike home.

She said she estimated about 18 similar incidents had taken place over the last two months, a number that matches what other expats estimate.

But according to multiple expats, many foreigners are reluctant to report crimes for fear of retaliation from local criminals or the belief that it won’t make much difference.
More: https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50792728/e ... vestigate/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

More from the KT article above:
Many in the expat community say they are putting their faith in the police, although alternate ideas have popped up on a Facebook message group, including baiting potential criminals into traps by appearing as helpless victims.

Aside from one night during which a German expat man put on a dress and rode his bicycle around the Salt Workers roundabout to lure thieves, no cases of potential traps have been reported.

The German said he didn’t have much of a plan if the plan were to work – which it didn’t – but said his goal was to turn them into the police.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Is it easy to fight or chase someone wearing a long dress, I presume it would be long otherwise the hairy legs would snuff his plan
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Someone was reportedly robbed after withdrawing money at an ABA bank ATM in Kampot this weekend.
From Facebook:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic