New York's antibody Testing Show Widspread Prior Infection

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: New York's antibody Testing Show Widspread Prior Infection

Post by Alex »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:26 pm I hate to agree with Hunter8, but once all the numbers are tallied up in a few years time, I'm sure death ratios will be revealed to be much lower than anticipated and we'll realize that whole economies were messed up for nothing.
Not "for nothing" it isn't. Such a crisis doesn't really destroy wealth, it merely redistributes it. Let's see who will come out winner(s) - not most ordinary people obviously.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:05 pm Can you elaborate? In my home country, the vast majority of deaths were in old people homes. Had they been properly isolated, the rest of us could have gotten immunized over a relatively short period of time and gone on with our lives. I'm not saying it's a simple thing to take care of, but it's obvious the majority of governments were slow in their responses (were totally unprepared and had no SOPs). Instead people have gone into total shutdown, which in the long-run will have extremely negative consequences as well.
Immunized with what? How?
up to you...
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Johnnywalker wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:10 pm It sort of seems impossible to debate the lockdowns or the virus in general without any deviation from either extreme being interpreted as a full blown endorsement of the opposite extreme. Sure it was more than “just the flu”. The lockdowns were an extreme over reaction however and will likely end up as the cause of death for a lot of people in addition to the economic impact. Wonder what sort of stupid public policy decision they will come up with to flatten the suicide curve.

The data is showing more and more that the real cause of the decrease in cases is herd immunity and not the lockdowns. This seems to point to a high likelihood that Cambodia had the virus sweep through a while back before anyone would have known what it was or could have raised an alarm about suspicious deaths. I’d guess late October and early November. Was there any sort of spike in flu related illness Or deaths last year? I can’t find anything on flu stats in Cambodia. Interestingly Dengue fever cases were 8 times higher than normal last year though.
Can you post a link to this data?
How does Dengue relate to this?
up to you...
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Johnnywalker wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:10 pm
The data is showing more and more that the real cause of the decrease in cases is herd immunity and not the lockdowns.
Data from more or less random samples of blood plasma show 3% (Netherlands) to 14% (New York) of the population have antibodies or an active infection. And that’s after the virus has been going around since last January.
To assume those amounts seriously slow down the infection rate seems way too optimistic and those numbers do not in any way show herd immunity yet. To have herd immunity much higher numbers are required, nobody knows how high but the lowest estimation I have seen is over 60%.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

hunter8 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:29 pmTo the “mortality much higher than seasonal influenza” believers, again: 500 000 people die annually from flu and 1 500 000 die annually from tuberculosis. Someone has to be incredibly math challenged to say mortality from covid is much higher to justify not opening economy back immediately.
ur model and logic assume Covid is over.

it's not. we all know that, except maybe you.

do you undertsand why your model and logic are completely untrustworthy?
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Clemen wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:17 am
WildA wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:21 am Gee, does that mean that we fucked the world economy for a flu?
No, it means your reading comprehension skills are lacking.
" The data suggest that the state's mortality rate could be lower than previously thought, albeit much higher than for seasonal influenza"

It is also early days for these studies, the ones out of California have basic flaws.
"Experts demolish studies suggesting COVID-19 is no worse than flu
Authors of widely publicized antibody studies “owe us all an apology,” one expert says."
Full:https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04 ... -than-flu/
Your politics are showing.

China lied people died.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Johnnywalker wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:10 pm Was there any sort of spike in flu related illness Or deaths last year? I can’t find anything on flu stats in Cambodia. Interestingly Dengue fever cases were 8 times higher than normal last year though.
The dengue spike was in late 2018, early 2019.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:05 pm Can you elaborate? In my home country, the vast majority of deaths were in old people homes. Had they been properly isolated, the rest of us could have gotten immunized over a relatively short period of time and gone on with our lives. I'm not saying it's a simple thing to take care of, but it's obvious the majority of governments were slow in their responses (were totally unprepared and had no SOPs). Instead people have gone into total shutdown, which in the long-run will have extremely negative consequences as well.

I would do that but I keep getting this message..

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM GOOGLE..

YOUR COMPUTER IS RUNNING LOW ON INK.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

WildA wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:29 pm
Clemen wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:17 am
WildA wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:21 am Gee, does that mean that we fucked the world economy for a flu?
No, it means your reading comprehension skills are lacking.
" The data suggest that the state's mortality rate could be lower than previously thought, albeit much higher than for seasonal influenza"

It is also early days for these studies, the ones out of California have basic flaws.
"Experts demolish studies suggesting COVID-19 is no worse than flu
Authors of widely publicized antibody studies “owe us all an apology,” one expert says."
Full:https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04 ... -than-flu/
Your politics are showing.

China lied people died.
There is nothing political about my post at all.
Whenever I post a fact that contradicts what you say it's because I'm a "trump hater" or whatever. My politics have nothing to do with it. You don't seem too comfortable with facts when they don't support your convictions.
Shall I just say Trump lied, people died?
up to you...
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Clemen wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:28 pm
Johnnywalker wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:10 pm It sort of seems impossible to debate the lockdowns or the virus in general without any deviation from either extreme being interpreted as a full blown endorsement of the opposite extreme. Sure it was more than “just the flu”. The lockdowns were an extreme over reaction however and will likely end up as the cause of death for a lot of people in addition to the economic impact. Wonder what sort of stupid public policy decision they will come up with to flatten the suicide curve.

The data is showing more and more that the real cause of the decrease in cases is herd immunity and not the lockdowns. This seems to point to a high likelihood that Cambodia had the virus sweep through a while back before anyone would have known what it was or could have raised an alarm about suspicious deaths. I’d guess late October and early November. Was there any sort of spike in flu related illness Or deaths last year? I can’t find anything on flu stats in Cambodia. Interestingly Dengue fever cases were 8 times higher than normal last year though.
Can you post a link to this data?
How does Dengue relate to this?
What happens when you get dengue? You feel like shit and stay home for a week or two. If it gets really bad you go to hospital (if you are brave and have insurance) or you stay home and either get through it or die from a heart attack or a drug overdose. How many people who get dengue and stay home ever get tested for it?

Who's to say the many of those dengue suffers weren't having a blast of Covid-19? Until there are reliable and cheap antigen tests and they are widely used and the results published, we will never know. However, the information coming from New York would support the theory that this virus has been much more prevalent than first thought.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic