Parents of CIA International School Demand Fee Reduction

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Re: Parents of CIA International School Demand Fee Reduction

Post by Cambo Dear »

fazur wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:48 am
Cambo Dear wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:16 amRisk to children in that age range is negligible. The reason to stay home is to protect the teachers, as it is in any country.
hmmm interesting opinion, any cedible studies or source?
Here are some stats from the US. 3 children 0-17 have died there; all 3 had underlying health conditions. The schools weren't closed to protect children, it was to prevent spread - especially to teachers.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

Schools protecting teachers is a new one on me. Teachers are viewed as a necessary but loathed expense. Teachers have had the upper hand especially in the past couple of years where there has been way too many schools and just about enough teachers.

Now according to my crystal ball, the tables are turning as potentially there will be hundreds of school closures due to financial reasons (including the inability to keep the fingers out of the till and build cash reserves) This would possibly put thousands of teachers out of work. This puts the schools in a good position to cry poor, fire and re-hire and cut wages further. That scenario should be short lived as when flights resume many unemployed and broke teachers will leave town with few incoming to teach for peanuts.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

rexwell wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:30 pm That scenario should be short lived as when flights resume many unemployed and broke teachers will leave town with few incoming to teach for peanuts.
The Filipinos will flood in to fill the gap and they'll accept half the wages of a Western native English speaker.......and with their passable spoken English and bullshit "degrees" from Olongapo University......they'll be able to pull a snow-job on most schools.

But, fuck me, I don't know about you all but the flipper accent is like fingernails on a chalkboard.........

......just ask one to pronounce 'calendar' or 'quarter'. Yeeeeeeeeeshhhhhhhh.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

Brody wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:59 pm
rexwell wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:30 pm That scenario should be short lived as when flights resume many unemployed and broke teachers will leave town with few incoming to teach for peanuts.
The Filipinos will flood in to fill the gap and they'll accept half the wages of a Western native English speaker.......and with their passable spoken English and bullshit "degrees" from Olongapo University......they'll be able to pull a snow-job on most schools.

But, fuck me, I don't know about you all but the flipper accent is like fingernails on a chalkboard.........

......just ask one to pronounce 'calendar' or 'quarter'. Yeeeeeeeeeshhhhhhhh.
You could be right Brody. Good schools see Flips as second tier teachers for science or math. It would be a brave school that only had Flip and Khmer teachers. I think the disgruntled parents would demand a flipscount. Still the thousands of students from ruined schools need a place to study and anything's possible.
Josideb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Josideb »

Just heard all schools will be closed until September. Bad times for teachers on 50% salary or have no job.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

Josideb wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:06 pm Just heard all schools will be closed until September. Bad times for teachers on 50% salary or have no job.
heard from, where?
Rosie Duncan
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Rosie Duncan »

No one could ever think this would happen! It's rude and disrespectful situation taking into account nowadays issues. There are many people who don't have a job and any income in general. How do they pay for their kids' study?! I know some school where administration agreed to postpone the payment. E.g. tuition fee must be payed till May -> Those schools allowed parents to till September. It's not a big deal as well, but at least some chances. Good luck with that!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I think Saffers are the new Filipinos of the TEFL industry in Cambodia...horrible accent and willing to work for below average wages

:stir:
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

rexwell wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:08 pm
Josideb wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:06 pm Just heard all schools will be closed until September. Bad times for teachers on 50% salary or have no job.
heard from, where?
No "official" document from the government saying it, but it's the commonly accepted situation everywhere at this point. The last letter put out by the ministry of education basically said as much. Schools aren't even planning to open again until Fall. Everyone I've spoken to, including a couple school principals, have just accepted this as the situation. School is done for a while. Fairly poor attempts at online teaching are all you're gonna get for now.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

ACE still has an native English speaker giving the on-line classes. He is excellent just like the former teacher who was a newspaper editor. He watches all the students continuously and immediately helps any with difficulties. Missus is being educationally challenged like never before. Wonderful.

I would hope the smart schools are doing like ACE.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic