Parents of CIA International School Demand Fee Reduction

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Parents of CIA International School Demand Fee Reduction

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Not sure if the article is a mistranslation, but it's a bit cheeky to say "Our income has dropped so please drop your fees". A more realistic approach, as mentioned by others, would be to say that online teaching isn't the same as face-to-face education and as such, you want a discount because your child isn't getting the full experience (nor does he/she have access to facilities and so on). That's totally understandable. If I were paying 5k+ (or even less) and suddenly my kid had to study online, I would also want a discount. That being said, the school also has obligation (staff salaries, rent, mortgage and/or bank loans, electricity and other overhead). It's tricky for everyone involved and yet another reason why they should reopen businesses sooner rather than later. When losing one's house and business is the silver lining to not getting infected with with a virus that has a >1% mortality rate for those under 50, you can bet people won't be too happy.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

I wonder if the grouse shooting season in Scotland will still go ahead?
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

a counter could be, well the parents are saving on transport and canteen fees butt still getting lessons

lets not forget the small issue of their childrens safety home is safer

nice social distancing at the protest, ja?
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

hardly saving money as surely they have to pay to eat at home as well.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

fazur wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:34 pm a counter could be, well the parents are saving on transport and canteen fees butt still getting lessons

lets not forget the small issue of their childrens safety home is safer

nice social distancing at the protest, ja?
Risk to children in that age range is negligible. The reason to stay home is to protect the teachers, as it is in any country. The difference is in Western countries, teachers are paid salaries regardless. In Cambodia, without government support, that is unrealistic, as parents pay teachers more directly. At some point it will be a straight choice between getting paid and self-isolating. Then we will see just how bothered the majority of staff are.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Any Cambodia who sends his kids to a school called CIA needs to have the quality of his intelligence read.

The resulting embarrassment produced more than loss of face. National Security Adviser Henry
Kissinger told President Nixon that this "failure of the intelligence community" resulted from
"deficiencies in both intelligence collection and analysis." Kissinger went on to specify CIA's prime
responsibility, noting that he was working with DCI Richard Helms on "appropriate personnel
changes in the Agency." Nixon penned an arty note: Jve me a report on these changes-I want
a real shakeup in CIA, not just symbolism,"

(Excerpt from the highest level CIA review of the CIA failure in Cambodia -
"Good Questions - Wrong Answers". Thomas L Ahern)
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

Cambo Dear wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:16 amRisk to children in that age range is negligible. The reason to stay home is to protect the teachers, as it is in any country.
hmmm interesting opinion, any cedible studies or source?
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Cambo Dear wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:13 pmI am sure that they are continuing to pay their teaching and non-teaching staff in order to retain them for when the lockdown ends. However, the only real saving the school will be making is electricity, but that's probably tempered by loss of revenue from the dining hall/cafe.
Doubtful. I don't know of a single school still running full staff, or at normal wages. I think most schools have at least reduced, if not cut almost all western staff, many have reduced Khmer staff, and are paying reduced wages to those who remain. Pair that with the issue of online learning not being comparable to in person learning, and I personally think it's 100% reasonable to ask for a hefty discount compared to classroom learning. Though I think that the answer is simply to find somewhere else with lower rates, not protest in front of the school and demand lower rates. It's up to the company to charge what they want, and go out of business if people won't pay it. They can do what they want with their business.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I paid for one term [ 3 months ] for 3 kids Khmer school just before they closed and for two kids , one term [ 3 months ] English also. So what is that money being spent on while my kids are now at home .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Duncan wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:18 pm I paid for one term [ 3 months ] for 3 kids Khmer school just before they closed and for two kids , one term [ 3 months ] English also. So what is that money being spent on while my kids are now at home .
Similarly to you, I paid a term each for two kids and one third into it they closed and sent out some facile "home schooling pack".

I'm not charitably disposed toward that establishment right now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic