Political correctness

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Political correctness

Post by Chuck Borris »

Hello everyone, my first post here. Seeing lately many rants about China and Chinese. Orange genius is demanding investigation on China, that they will have to pay for economic damage, some people say that they spread virus deliberately and so on.
But than if we aren’t hypocrites, shouldn’t America and their NATO puddles compensate for all damage done in wars, take care of the millions of the refuges in Europe now? Shouldn’t Russia pay for shooting down Malaysian airplane, Japan for Fukushima disaster cover up attempt and consequences for the world sea and so on.
Are sanctions against Cuba, Venezuela, Iran and against European companies who are building Russian pipeline necessary? Why not against Saudi Arabia? Israel? Is their regime cool?
I have nothing against people of any country, they are good and bad everywhere, but I don’t like China’s government, neither I do like American which is proven to be lying as well (remember Saddam”s WMD, etc.) and they prosecute journalist too (Assange). I don’t like my government either.
I met many nice Chinese single or couple travellers and they were hardworking, polite, educated and open minded. But I always try to avoid them in herds, same as I do with Russians in Pattaya, Aussies in Bali, Germans in Mallorca, Brits on Ibiza or Americans in Cancun. In herds they are bunch of loud drunks, they don’t respect locals and their culture and they behave like savages. Can say same for French herds in Cambodia, they are haughty and arrogant.
Corona crisis pointed many cracks in economy and in supply chain. Dependence from China is to enormous. Why we don’t move production back home? Big corporations will not like it I guess. They will have to pay better wages to the own people than, less profit for them. Now Mexican salad pickers, Rumanian, Moldavian strawberry or African tomato pickers are working for peanuts and living in a slave conditions. Bangladeshi workers are making clothes for 70$ a month still using textile chemicals which are banned in Europe for 30 years already. Are you willing to pay X times more for same product?
And in the western world politic we have bunch of “nice” guys like Trump, Johnson, Bolsonaro, Orban… Is democracy really working? For who? Not for minority.
Should each country build a wall or are we not all in same boat (shite)?
And I don’t smoke “either are you with us or against us” patriotism shit. I think need multi-polar world.
Stay healthy everyone.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Political correctness

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Fuck China.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

The lawsuits will provide casus belli for court ordered civil forfeitures of CCP financed assets in the various jusrisdictions under colour-of law.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^^^^^^^
Good first post Chuck imho :thumb:

You raise some very relevant and candid points there and a reminder perhaps for us to not lose context. Just an anecdote, but some years ago I was holidaying on Siquijor island in the Philippine Visayas at a mountain resort with my GF at the time and struck up a conversation with a Chinese girl at poolside who was on her honeymoon with her husband. She was an english teacher at a university in Beijing and they were the nicest couple albeit he didn't speak a word of english and couldn't swim either. Anyway, we shared breakfast with them most mornings we were there and the minibus back to the ferry to return to Cebu.

I don't have an answer to the worthy points you raise other than I do think globalisation as we've known it will do a bit of an about turn. Speaking as an Aussie I would love it if we can reduce out dependence on China with our existing 38% of all exports.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Chuck Borris wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:16 pm I met many nice Chinese single or couple travellers and they were hardworking, polite, educated and open minded.
Sure, I have Chinese in my family in Europe and in Cambodia. They are as good or bad as anyone. I don't think individual Chinese citizens are what anyone is bothered about though.They are concerned about the overall intentions of the CPC, and the implications of their well orchestrated worldwide economic moves. On the one hand you will get people screaming "Kill Chinks" and on the other there will be apologists. Somewhere in the middle there are people who are thinking of reasonable responses, and perhaps not relying on China so much and moving essential components production elsewhere will work over time. Of course the same could be said of other nations the world has become reliant on, the Saudis and Emirates have everyone by the balls now.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH »

It's often said that the winners write history, and it's true. Or perhaps that the loudest voice with the most power...

I could say books could be written about how the west an it's allies, or even Russia and theirs, have done things to other nations or peoples - which they should compensate their victims for - but they have been written.

We could go on and on about how how the US spent in the region of 50k USD a day bombing a neutral Laos for years, yet in decades didn't even provide assistance valued over 50k USD. Not to mention Cambodia or Vietnam (especially agent orange), all of them of the most bombed nations in history.

The world isn't fair, and it is the powerful who write the rules. When they are challenged they will always look for a scapegoat.

Sure, in this instance China didn't do enough and wasn't honest enough about the whole COVID-19 situation. But when they did kick in, they went to extreme lengths very fast, they also shared the genome within days of officially recognising the virus.

The rest of the world saw the lengths they took with Wuhan and it's satellite cities, quarantining 60m people within a period of days. Then they did nothing.

If they had some balls they would sue Trump, but they are republicans, they can't blame their own or they would diminish themselves further and be accepting blame.

Like you, the OP said, I have no love for the Chinese, but they are no more guilty than anyone else in the lack of response. Thank god it didn't originate in the US, imagine how fucked we'd be then lol.

As someone mentioned in a post recently, it's amazing how the international media has been portraying the Cambodian governments emergency bill as though it is already in place and as if it were more severe than what so many other governments around the world are already doing.

Cambodia isn't one of "the good guys", neither is "China"
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:52 pm but some years ago I was holidaying on Siquijor island in the Philippine Visayas at a mountain resort with my GF at the time and struck up a conversation with a Chinese girl at poolside who was on her honeymoon with her husband. She was an english teacher at a university in Beijing and they were the nicest couple albeit he didn't speak a word of english and couldn't swim either. Anyway, we shared breakfast with them most mornings we were there and the minibus back to the ferry to return to Cebu.
Great antidote to the racist rants that some members have been spouting - simple humanity.
We need cool headed intelligent thinking if we want to crawl back out of the hole that we have gotten ourselves into with our unhealthy dependence in China.
Not finger pointing and crying out "victim victim, poor victim me". Pathetic in a man, or in a nation.

(and please don't mistake me for an apologist for China - i have been spouting on for yonks about how we need to challenge China - but intelligently)
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

I think too often people mix China & Chineses, USA & Americans, France & Frogs, etc.

What the leaders do and say is not 100 % in accordance with citizens feelings and beliefs.

That is where hope is sitting.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AzalKH wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:31 pm I
As someone mentioned in a post recently, it's amazing how the international media has been portraying the Cambodian governments emergency bill as though it is already in place and as if it were more severe than what so many other governments around the world are already doing.

Cambodia isn't one of "the good guys", neither is "China"
I didn't see that post but I did notice that certain media were reporting it as an assault on human rights etc. Even though it has not been implemented. These outlets like RFA are spamming the whole world with this garbage while on the ground everything seems as normal as can be expected given the situation. They focus on the curtailing of "free speech" without understanding that rumors and myths and dangerous nonsense can spread very fast here and spreading these dumb ideas on social media needs to be stamped on.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic