All Things Aviation

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: All Things Aviation

Post by Doc67 »

Brody wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:15 pm Argentine aircraft attacking the British task force in San Carlos Bay (1982, Falklands War).

San Carlos Bay got the nickname bomb alley. Fortunately by the time they got there they had very limited fuel left as they had to fly from Argentine mainland, the Port Stanley airfield being unsuitable for the Mirages. They still did a lot of damage though.

The Argentine pilots surprised the British by their skills, eventually explained by an officer as understandable from a country of Polo players and racing drivers.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Arget wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:36 pm Image
That's also a picture of the entire Argentinian naval fleet at sea shortly after the Belgrano was sunk.

One of the Galtieri's smarter moves...

(Sorry @brody, I know this is as off topic as it gets!)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Brody wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:35 am
That's about as bad as it gets. I was shouting "height height height" at the screen long before they got to the trees while those two bozos were chatting to each other. Great video, blood pressure got a good jolt.

Fly The Aircraft First; Aviate, Navigate, Communicate.

https://www.faa.gov/news/safety_briefin ... _18-07.pdf

As it banks left he takes his hand off the controls while the instructor (presumably) is only concerned with the power setting. The student was making no inputs and eventually took his hand off when it banked left.

and then

Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I think the ‘instructor’ may have taken control at the latter stage. Check the right stick. Too late, though. I was curious why they were so intent on heading towards the treetops so soon after the touch and go, when they had some clear space around the strip. I suspect they got really slow, and the bank left was Actually the onset of a spin while all that manoeuvring was going on.

I wonder who posted the video up?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:01 pm I think the ‘instructor’ may have taken control at the latter stage. Check the right stick. Too late, though. I was curious why they were so intent on heading towards the treetops so soon after the touch and go, when they had some clear space around the strip. I suspect they got really slow, and the bank left was Actually the onset of a spin while all that manoeuvring was going on.

I wonder who posted the video up?
You're right, it was a stall, check the ASI. Barely at 40knts when the left wing dropped. No stall warning? it should of been screeching. And this was even when the instructor was making power inputs from the very start after lift off and very little climb.

Touch down
Treetops
stall
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Fortunately for them, they found some trees to help slow their descent. I think the ‘instructor’ even pulled some power off at one point! Loss of situational awareness. Easy done
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic