All Things Aviation

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
simon.sayed
Expatriate
South Africa

Re: All Things Aviation

Post by simon.sayed »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:28 pm
Brody wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:11 pm Image
Brody, what’s the story behind this image?
USS Midway on August 21, 1984. It shows US Navy A-7E Corsair II (BuNo 157495) belonging to VA-56 "Champions" bursting into flames after a ramp strike on August 21, 1984.

The pilot, Lt. Thomas R. Doyle, 24, was killed in the incident. The incident occurred in the East China Sea, despite a wave off due to a pitching deck.

Several images of the incident have been available online for years. Some of these have become quite popular and show the moments after the Corsair hits the ramp and burst into flames.
https://www.businessinsider.com/1984-cr ... -be-2020-5

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

simon.sayed beat me to it.

Yep, that's your prototypical ramp-strike mishap.

That's one of the most common mishaps to occur during the landing phase of flight ops.

There are multiple flight-deck camera videos of this type of crash. One of the more dramatic ones involves an F-14. I'll try and dig that one out.

It usually happens during a pitching deck......you get behind on the power curve......you start chasing glide-slope and/or the 'meatball' (fresnel optical landing aid)........and a combination of the deck pitching up and a late 'power' / 'wave-off' call from the LSO's (landing signal officers)......and you smack the round down.......and in almost every event the plane snaps in half or at least buckles.

In the F-14 incident I referenced, the plane slid to a stop on the deck but the crew had ejected and the pilot, I believe, landed in the roiling fiery inferno of the wreckage. Both pilot and RIO survived if I remember correctly.

It's a dangerous business.
simon.sayed
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by simon.sayed »

Brody wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:39 pm
simon.sayed beat me to it.

Yep, that's your prototypical ramp-strike mishap.

That's one of the most common mishaps to occur during the landing phase of flight ops.

There are multiple flight-deck camera videos of this type of crash. One of the more dramatic ones involves an F-14. I'll try and dig that one out.

It usually happens during a pitching deck......you get behind on the power curve......you start chasing glide-slope and/or the 'meatball' (fresnel optical landing aid)........and a combination of the deck pitching up and a late 'power' / 'wave-off' call from the LSO's (landing signal officers)......and you smack the round down.......and in almost every event the plane snaps in half or at least buckles.

In the F-14 incident I referenced, the plane slid to a stop on the deck but the crew had ejected and the pilot, I believe, landed in the roiling fiery inferno of the wreckage. Both pilot and RIO survived if I remember correctly.

This one B?

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

simon.sayed wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:46 pm This one B?
Possibly.......the one I'm thinking about.......I remember there being more wreckage still in the landing area and you can see the pilot in his chute, drift down and back, right into the fire.........then you can hear the Air Boss screaming over the blower to "Get him out of the fire!!!"
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I tentatively had it ID’d as a Corsair.

Challenging environment indeed. The video has that look of too-little, too-late about it.

Thanks for the update.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Think it looks easy? Now picture a moonless, starless night in heavy seas with a heaving, pitching deck.

simon.sayed
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by simon.sayed »

The Final Mission of Jackie Heil and Gerald Cooper, September 25, 1970

"SUMMARY: In war, the cliché goes, even small mistakes can get people killed. On September 25, 1970, a flight of two Huey gunship helicopters, accompanied by several South Vietnamese Air Force helicopters, was on a special operations mission over Cambodia when a simple mistake led to catastrophic consequences. As the aircraft came over a ridgeline in rough formation, one helicopter banked left instead of right, and the trailing UH-1F Huey had to make a hard turn to avoid a midair collision. The turn was too hard. The Huey careened off course, clipped the jungle canopy, and crashed. Tragically, Captain Jackie P. Heil and Master Sergeant Gerald A. Cooper were killed."

Story: https://www.vietnamwar50th.com/educatio ... in_history
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Brody wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:39 pm s involves an F-14. I'll try and dig that one out.

Well, I never had any problem landing my F16 on the carrier, mostly while drunk...

I really miss my Flight Sim set up... :o(
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

St Maarten Airport

This is on my bucket list and will try next year before they close it or somehow spoil the fun.

The landings...

Riding the fence

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

@simon.sayed

This is the mishap I was referring to. You can see the pilot drift right back into the inferno.

Like I said, ramp strikes used to be tragically frequent. Though nowadays with advancements in automation and flight control systems they seem to be a rare event.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic