All Things Aviation

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: All Things Aviation

Post by Spigzy »

Popped up on my X feed today, I knew from reading a bunch of old wartime books that "The Red Baron" was ultimately shot by a Canadian infantryman, but I didn't know there was news footage & some bits on his burial by the Australians on the Western Front.

https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/152156/
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:38 pm Popped up on my X feed today, I knew from reading a bunch of old wartime books that "The Red Baron" was ultimately shot by a Canadian infantryman, but I didn't know there was news footage & some bits on his burial by the Australians on the Western Front.
Not so sure, it has been suggested that he was shot by an Aussie.
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

hanno wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:02 pm
Spigzy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:38 pm Popped up on my X feed today, I knew from reading a bunch of old wartime books that "The Red Baron" was ultimately shot by a Canadian infantryman, but I didn't know there was news footage & some bits on his burial by the Australians on the Western Front.
Not so sure, it has been suggested that he was shot by an Aussie.
Cedric Popkin shot him with a Vickers gun.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Richthofen was replaced by Hermann Goering.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:48 am Richthofen was replaced by Hermann Goering.
No, he wasn’t. Are you taking short cuts through history again?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Freightdog wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:48 am Richthofen was replaced by Hermann Goering.
Of course you are absolutely correct..

https://collections.ushmm.org/search/c ... kker%20Dr.

“Contains activities of Jagdgeschwader 1 (the Red Baron's "Flying Circus"), comprising Jagdstaffel (Jasta) 4, 6, 10, 11, which was commanded by Manfred von Richthofen (MvR) until his death April 21, 1918 in a Fokker Dr.1. Hermann Goering became CO of Jagdgeschwader Freiherr von Richthofen No.1 on July 7, 1918.”

Thank goodness someone is all knowing, because I am not.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:04 am
Freightdog wrote:

“Contains activities of Jagdgeschwader 1 (the Red Baron's "Flying Circus"), comprising Jagdstaffel (Jasta) 4, 6, 10, 11, which was commanded by Manfred von Richthofen (MvR) until his death April 21, 1918 in a Fokker Dr.1. Hermann Goering became CO of Jagdgeschwader Freiherr von Richthofen No.1 on July 7, 1918.”

Now, you’re being silly.

First off, he wasn’t replaced. Richthofen died as a result of being shot, and killed in action. (although there is much debate about from where)
The second commander of Jagdgeschwader 1 was a fella by the name of Reinhard. When he was subsequently killed in action, then Goering became the third and last commander of JG1.

Why do I know? Because aviation is something that I’m genuinely interested in, and have been for some 50 plus years. I used to read books about it. When you made your assertion that Goering replaced Richthofen, that didn’t ring true, and so I went and did a little fact checking to refresh my memory.
To say he was replaced is a little disrespectful to the man himself.
Secondly, you overlooked the actual person who was his successor, in favour of a person better known to many.

I’m not all knowing, but I do have areas of genuine interest, and while I may not be an historian with facts on immediate recall, I do still remember some stuff that I read in history books long before the internet gave us condensed potted histories from which to be immediate experts. Although I confess, I did have to use the internet to refresh my memory, as I’m languishing in some austere airport hotel and my own books are not at hand.
Even you should be able to discern the gap in dates in your own quote above. A little further digging, and you’d have got it right.

Try this-
https://www.historynet.com/red-baron-wo ... ichthofen/
That same evening, RAF pilots dropped canisters containing news of Richthofen’s death and pictures of his funeral over Jagdgeschwader I, confirming the fears of the German officers there. Oberleutnant Wilhelm Reinhard succeeded Richthofen as commander of JG.I, as per Richthofen’s wishes, but he only lasted two months; Oberleutnant Hermann Wilhelm Goring assumed command after Reinhard’s death.

As an aside- I’m curious about the spelling of the name Goering. I’ve seen it written as Goring, Göring, Goering, and Göering, almost interchangeably.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Correct spelling: Göring.
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

The Grave of Manfred Von Richthofen

Post by Kahuna »

I was in France many years ago to visit the grave of one of my Great Uncles who died in the First World War (he would be reported as missing, then as taken prisoner and it was not until after the war it was finally confirmed he had been killed in action). I paid my respects to him and then toured around the country stopping at numerous cemeteries dotted around the country usually surrounded by farmer's fields and never too far away a museum. Far too many of those headstones had the inscription that here lay an unknown soldier known only to God.
The weather while I had been in this part of France was bleak, sleet falling, cold and basically miserable which made me think of how bad conditions would have been for both sides and more so living in the trenches.
I stopped at a cemetary that was listed as The Baron's final resting place one morning. Again the weather was less than favourable but
I walked through the lines of headstones looking for his grave. I didn't see it so went back to the entrance to check that I had the correct details but again I could not locate it.
The third time I read the sign correctly which stated that after the war his brother took his body back to Germany which is where he now lays at rest.
As for who killed him I don't think it will ever be proven beyond doubt.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:05 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:04 am
Freightdog wrote:

Now, you’re being silly.

First off, he wasn’t replaced. Richthofen died as a result of being shot, and killed in action. (although there is much debate about from where)
The second commander of Jagdgeschwader 1 was a fella by the name of Reinhard. When he was subsequently killed in action, then Goering became the third and last commander of JG1.

Why do I know? Because aviation is something that I’m genuinely interested in, and have been for some 50 plus years. I used to read books about it. When you made your assertion that Goering replaced Richthofen, that didn’t ring true, and so I went and did a little fact checking to refresh my memory.
To say he was replaced is a little disrespectful to the man himself.
Secondly, you overlooked the actual person who was his successor, in favour of a person better known to many.

I’m not all knowing, but I do have areas of genuine interest, and while I may not be an historian with facts on immediate recall, I do still remember some stuff that I read in history books long before the internet gave us condensed potted histories from which to be immediate experts. Although I confess, I did have to use the internet to refresh my memory, as I’m languishing in some austere airport hotel and my own books are not at hand.
Even you should be able to discern the gap in dates in your own quote above. A little further digging, and you’d have got it right.

Try this-
https://www.historynet.com/red-baron-wo ... ichthofen/
That same evening, RAF pilots dropped canisters containing news of Richthofen’s death and pictures of his funeral over Jagdgeschwader I, confirming the fears of the German officers there. Oberleutnant Wilhelm Reinhard succeeded Richthofen as commander of JG.I, as per Richthofen’s wishes, but he only lasted two months; Oberleutnant Hermann Wilhelm Goring assumed command after Reinhard’s death.

As an aside- I’m curious about the spelling of the name Goering. I’ve seen it written as Goring, Göring, Goering, and Göering, almost interchangeably.
Well said.

You have been awarded the Order of the Umlaut medal.

Arise Freightdög
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic