All Things Aviation

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: All Things Aviation

Post by newkidontheblock »

Freightdog wrote:
Brody wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:04 am Kamov Ka-22 Vintokryl (1959)

Sorry to say, some Soviet designs did look like they came from a meth’d up kindergarten.
Given their recent resounding successes, I’m guessing some of those kindergarteners may have gone on to illustrious careers in the Soviet, oops, Russian defence industry.
Not at all. It’s classic Soviet thinking. Wanted a helicopter that can carry heavy loads and go faster. Swiveling prop technology (V22-Ospreys) both computers wise and engineering wise didn’t exist in the 1950s.

Every hear the joke about the ballpoint pen? Ballpoint pens don’t write in outer space. NASA spent millions to build ones that do. The Soviets gave all their cosmonauts pencils instead.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:40 pm
Freightdog wrote: Sorry to say, some Soviet designs did look like they came from a meth’d up kindergarten.
Given their recent resounding successes, I’m guessing some of those kindergarteners may have gone on to illustrious careers in the Soviet, oops, Russian defence industry.
Not at all. It’s classic Soviet thinking. Wanted a helicopter that can carry heavy loads and go faster. Swiveling prop technology (V22-Ospreys) both computers wise and engineering wise didn’t exist in the 1950s.

Every hear the joke about the ballpoint pen? Ballpoint pens don’t write in outer space. NASA spent millions to build ones that do. The Soviets gave all their cosmonauts pencils instead.
Several companies, east and west, were investing and experimenting in tilting rotor designs and similar alternatives. Take a look at Bell from around the same period.
The Soviet stuff had a tendency towards too heavy and clumsy due to materials, quality control and construction, which has a knock on effect with regards reliability. I’m not entirely convinced the Osprey has really overcome this.

As to the apocryphal story of the space pencils, that tale has been doing the rounds for decades. The technological challenge was actually picked up by a private company- Fisher. It’s some interesting stuff, though probably not as amusing.
But regarding the pencil solution, consider the risk factors: we call them lead pencils, but most pencils are in-fact graphite. Which is also a conductor, and not always a good thing.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

16 July 1969: At 1333 UTC (9:33 a.m. EDT) one minute, six seconds after liftoff, the Apollo 11/Saturn V reached Mach 1 at an altitude of 4 miles (6.4 kilometers). As it goes supersonic, condensation clouds, called “shock collars,” form around the S-II second stage.

Hard to believe there are 3 men perched on the pointy end of that beast.

16 July 1969: At 13:34:42.30 UTC, 2 minutes, 42.30 seconds after launch, the S-IC first stage of the Apollo 11/Saturn V has burned out and is jettisoned. Apollo 11 has reached an altitude of 42 miles (68 kilometers) and a speed of 6,164 miles per hour (9,920 kilometers per hour). The five Rocketdyne F-1 engines have burned 4,700,000 pounds (2,132,000 kilograms) of liquid oxygen and RP-1 propellant.

After separation, the S-IC first stage continued upward on a ballistic trajectory to approximately 68 miles (109.4 kilometers) altitude, reaching its apex at T+4:29.1, then fell back to Earth. It landed in the Atlantic Ocean approximately 350 miles (563.3 kilometers) downrange.

Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

53 years ago. Amazing. So much hope and optimism. Really quite saddens me how the world is today.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Gazzy wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:56 am 53 years ago. Amazing. So much hope and optimism. Really quite saddens me how the world is today.
Yeah, where's my jet-pack they we were all promised on Tomorrow's World?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:27 am
Gazzy wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:56 am 53 years ago. Amazing. So much hope and optimism. Really quite saddens me how the world is today.
Yeah, where's my jet-pack they we were all promised on Tomorrow's World?
I think it was posted earlier, but just in case ...

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Looking at Brody’s post, it’s quite something, though. From the Wright brothers to orbital flight and the Last moon landing in under seven decades.
When you look at the scale of achievement, even though it’s now so matter of fact, it’s worth being in awe once in a while.
So many different technologies coming together. The huge amount of imagination, resourcefulness, commitment.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

18 July 1942: First jet engine flight of the Me262 Schwalbe ("Swallow"). World's first operational jet-powered fighter. Chief Test Pilot Fritz Wendel with the Messerschmitt Me 262 V3 prototype, PC+UC.

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Myasishchev M-50

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Convair B-58 Hustler