All Things Aviation

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: All Things Aviation

Post by Spigzy »

A lot of planes lately, but the topic is aviation so time for a cheeky chopper!!

"Homer", the biggest helicopter ever built?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil_V-12

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

The first powered, controlled, sustained airplane flight in history by the Wright Flyer on Dec. 17, 1903.

Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I cant' recall due to the thread length whether I'm duplicating the story, but I once knew a very old man - Richard Wheeler who was in his 100s when I met him. He had fantastic stories about his time in the RAF and how he was charged with bringing American pilots to the UK via Greenland/north pole route during WWII, navigating using stars, and all that jazz. It was inspirational stuff. I thought that was cool enough, but then he just throws away - "I had dinner with the Wright brothers when I was in the US as a child, that's what inspired me to get into aviation."
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

The North American A-5 Vigilante was an carrier-based supersonic bomber designed and built by North American Aviation (NAA) for the United States Navy.

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

TSGT Samuel O. Turner, U.S. Air Force, rests his hand on one of four air-cooled Browning AN-M3 .50-caliber aircraft machine guns of a B-52 tail turret.

18 December 1972: On the first night of Operation Linebacker II, Staff Sergeant Samuel Olin Turner, United States Air Force, the gunner aboard Boeing B-52D-35-BW Stratofortress 56-676 (call sign “Brown 3”), saw a supersonic Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG 21 interceptor approaching the bomber from below and behind, with a second interceptor following at a distance.

As the Mach 2 fighter made a firing pass, Turner directed the four Browning AN-M3 .50-caliber machine guns of the bomber’s tail turret at the enemy fighter and opened fire. In a single 6–8 second burst, he expended 694 rounds of ammunition. He saw “a gigantic explosion to the rear of the aircraft.”

Master Sergeant Louis E. LeBlanc, the gunner on another B-52, “Brown 2,” had also seen the MiG 21 and confirmed Turner’s kill.

Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

I do love all these posts on this thread and I needed this after reading pages upon pages on another thread on CEO which made no sense; "it seems all roads lead to Dead Jenny" whatever that means.

Keep posting more pictures of aircrafts! And thank You.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Tommie wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:32 am I do love all these posts on this thread and I needed this after reading pages upon pages on another thread on CEO which made no sense; "it seems all roads lead to Dead Jenny" whatever that means.

Keep posting more pictures of aircrafts! And thank You.
Jenny is alive and well.
WikipediaMustBeTrue wrote: The Curtiss JN "Jenny" was a series of biplanes built by the Curtiss Aeroplane Company of Hammondsport, New York, later the Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company. Although the Curtiss JN series was originally produced as a training aircraft for the US Army, the "Jenny" (the common nickname derived from "JN") continued after World War I as a civil aircraft, as it became the "backbone of American postwar [civil] aviation".

Thousands of surplus Jennys were sold at bargain prices to private owners in the years after the war and became central to the barnstorming era that helped awaken the US to civil aviation through much of the 1920s.
:hattip:

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

7 January 1785: On a clear, calm day, Jean-Pierre François Blanchard and Doctor John Jeffries flew across the English Channel in a hydrogen-filled balloon. They lifted off from Dover Castle, Kent, England at about 1:00 p.m. The journey to Guînes, Pas-de-Calais, France, took about two and a half hours.

The balloon was approximately 8.2 meters (27 feet) in diameter. A gondola was suspended beneath the gas envelope, equipped with oar-like devices that were intended to steer and propel the light-than-air craft.

With sufficient buoyancy to just lift the two aeronauts and their equipment, the Channel crossing was made at a very low altitude. During the flight, all ballast, their equipment and most of their clothing were jettisoned. They crossed the French coast at about 3:00 p.m. and at 3:30, came to rest in a clearing in the Felmores Forest, near Guînes.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Brody wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:02 am They lifted off from Dover Castle, Kent, England
My home town :D

The Bleriot Memorial is just up the road behind the castle also. :hattip:

We Brits really know how to build memorials ...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic