Cambodian Post Offices Closed to Out-Going International Mail

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian Post Offices Closed to Out-Going International Mail

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

April 21, 2020
National post company presses pause on international deliveries amid pandemic
State-owned Cambodia Post has announced its international delivery service will be temporarily suspended because of logistical issues caused by the virus.

The information was posted on the company’s Facebook page on April 18.

“Cambodia Post has the honour to inform our dear customers that all consignments are not permitted to be sent or forwarded to any country due to the respiratory disease (COVID-19)”, the statement read.

Ork Bora, the director-general of the postal company, explained the decision was made because of the cancellation of many flights globally. It was also influenced by the fact that some carriers may still have flight schedules but have suspended the transportation of mail.

“For the sending out of consignments, we depend on airlines but now those airlines have shut down their air service due to COVID-19. So we have to pause all outgoing consignments,” Ork said.

Deliveries to countries including China, South Korea, Malaysia, the Philippines, Australia, New Zealand, the US, Canada and several European countries will be affected.

However, Cambodia Post reassured customers it will be business as usual in terms of delivering packages and mail sent from abroad.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50715183/n ... -pandemic/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian Post Offices Closed to Out-Going International Mail

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Telephone number to contact Kampot PO if you are expecting parcels/mail. No out-going international mail.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

Does anyone know if there have been any updates to this announcement recently? With airlines starting to begin passenger flights again, I was hoping to hear that the logistical issues are relaxing and that there are plans in the works to restart mail services. Am I a hopeless dreamer?
numacsys
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by numacsys »

Has the "honor" to inform customers that they're not sending mail? I get it that this move is in the interest of public health but why, how or where is honor in making such an announcement?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

monomial wrote:Does anyone know if there have been any updates to this announcement recently? With airlines starting to begin passenger flights again, I was hoping to hear that the logistical issues are relaxing and that there are plans in the works to restart mail services. Am I a hopeless dreamer?
I don't know, but on an semi-related matter, I recently got something shipped from Taiwan via FedEx. Was supposed to take three days, but it's still stuck in Singapore (almost two weeks now). What I find weird is they shipped to Singapore (where it's still sitting) which has no flights to Cambodia, whereas there are numerous direct flights from Taipei via multiple airlines. I contacted them to ask about the logic of that but didn't get a response.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:28 pm What I find weird is they shipped to Singapore (where it's still sitting) which has no flights to Cambodia, whereas there are numerous direct flights from Taipei via multiple airlines. I contacted them to ask about the logic of that but didn't get a response.
Probably automated/system routing for parcels which hasn't been optimised for the current situation.

Meanwhile despite incoming mail supposedly being unaffected (lol) two orders from Aliexpress in February never arrived. I have finally learned my lesson and will pay the extra for full tracking option in future. They used to arrive, then it became kinda 50/50, and now nothing without tracking ever turns up. I hope whoever appropriated them likes my tshirts and undies.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Yeah I stopped ordering from AliExpress once this whole thing started. I imagined FedEx would be a bit more on the ball given that they're the logistics "experts". It's nothing vital, but the company I ordered with uses FedEx and I reckoned they're be pretty swift as orders reach the US in two days... I called FedEx Singapore and apparently it's moving again and will be here next week. Still not impressed, as it is FedEx after all (website is filled with "keeping your business moving" etc).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

numacsys wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:27 am Has the "honor" to inform customers that they're not sending mail? I get it that this move is in the interest of public health but why, how or where is honor in making such an announcement?
There was a drongo PR/assistant to my boss at last gig who started every fucking email with "Dear Colleagues, it is my deep honor to inform you ..."

Usually the subject was a routine meeting being rescheduled or perhaps a different dessert in the canteen.

I suspect he went to school with the Cambodia Post person.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:15 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:28 pm What I find weird is they shipped to Singapore (where it's still sitting) which has no flights to Cambodia, whereas there are numerous direct flights from Taipei via multiple airlines. I contacted them to ask about the logic of that but didn't get a response.
Probably automated/system routing for parcels which hasn't been optimised for the current situation.

Meanwhile despite incoming mail supposedly being unaffected (lol) two orders from Aliexpress in February never arrived. I have finally learned my lesson and will pay the extra for full tracking option in future. They used to arrive, then it became kinda 50/50, and now nothing without tracking ever turns up. I hope whoever appropriated them likes my tshirts and undies.
Send yourself a T-shirt, size medium, with, "I'm a thieving Post Office worker" printed on it and send it with no tracking. Dollars to Donuts he'll wear it before translating it.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It’s been interesting to see the response of different country’s mail systems during all of this. One major portion of my outfit’s work is mail and package freight for several mail companies.
We’ve only just resumed operations in France where air services (internally within France) were suspended in March. There were already various issues with freight handling at the aircraft due to reduced personnel on duty in the airports. Then, in the sorting offices they simply didn’t have sufficient staff available due to lockdown restrictions, etc to sort the mail and get it moved to the airport.

I gather Belgium’s mail service halted international mail services back in late March, early April. Whether that’s still the case, I don’t know. We operate for several couriers, as well, and that’s been generally very busy. Albeit the personnel handling freight have been down over 1000 staff, which has led to many logistical snafus.
Meanwhile, in the U.K., our payloads have seen some significant increases.

Each location and operation have very different problems when trying to maintain services while implementing ‘distancing’.

Amazon has been pretty damned reliable.
Lockdown + free time in the wrong country has been a bit expensive for me- I’ve bought a shitload of kit through Amazon and Ebay, and been seriously busy cracking on with projects that got put on hold over the past few years. I’m back to work For 3 weeks starting today- for a bit of a rest.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic