US Ends Immigration.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: US Ends Immigration.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

hanno wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:48 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:05 pm
IraHayes wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:56 pm Oh and while we’re talking about these $1,200 checks that are going out..... let’s not forget that Bloomberg could have given every voter in the states A million dollars instead of spending what he did on his brief and ultimately futile presidential campaign.
Bloomberg spent about $900 million on his presidential campaign. There are around 235 million voters in the US. That would work out at less than $4 each. 8)
The fervent Trump supporters rarely manage to impress me with their intelligence. It is like screaming at health workers protesting against anti-lockdown demonstrators “go the fcuk back to China” when that same person might need their care in a few days when they develop symptoms of Covid-19 picked up at said (illegal) demonstrations......
There's now absolutely no reason to give Trump or anyone who supports him the time of day. From day one this presidency has been a complete and utter failure on the part of the USA. Those continuing their wilfully blind support should now be excluded from any dialogue moving forward as they've done nothing but hinder progress in any area relating to the the country that was once a leader on the world stage.

To defend Trump now is a fucking appalling position to maintain.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

edited because I'm now just drunk and argumentative.
Last edited by Kung-fu Hillbilly on Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I received $3,400 via direct deposit. $1.2k for me, $1.2k for my wife (non-citizen) and $500 for each kid.

Very little reason to get checks
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:58 pm
hanno wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:48 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:05 pm
IraHayes wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:56 pm Oh and while we’re talking about these $1,200 checks that are going out..... let’s not forget that Bloomberg could have given every voter in the states A million dollars instead of spending what he did on his brief and ultimately futile presidential campaign.
Bloomberg spent about $900 million on his presidential campaign. There are around 235 million voters in the US. That would work out at less than $4 each. 8)
The fervent Trump supporters rarely manage to impress me with their intelligence. It is like screaming at health workers protesting against anti-lockdown demonstrators “go the fcuk back to China” when that same person might need their care in a few days when they develop symptoms of Covid-19 picked up at said (illegal) demonstrations......
There's now absolutely no reason to give Trump or anyone who supports him the time of day. From day one this presidency has been a complete and utter failure on the part of the USA. Those continuing their wilfully blind support should now be excluded from any dialogue moving forward as they've done nothing but hinder progress in any area relating to the the country that was once a leader on the world stage.

To defend Trump now is a fucking appalling position to maintain.
Your position is understandable but untenable. Ultimately millions of Americans have no choice but to support him. There is no other candidate that is even trying to offer a plan to undo the status quo and rollback the schemes of globalization. Most Americans who support Trump do not particularly like him as a person. But with everyone else complicit in the globalization movement for the last 50 years, and in fact even supporting gulping down more of the poison, Trump is like a siren call in the wilderness.

This is just part and parcel of the American version of Brexit. A large swath of Americans want out of globalization. Immigration is a symbol of that. Trump, demagogue that he is, recognized this trend and used it to divide the country. It has nothing to do with racism for most people, and everything to do with the growing recognition that we are on the path to perdition.

I don't like Trump, but show me any other candidate saying the last 50 years have been a collosal F-up. That we need less of globalization, not more.

Don't even get me started on these immoral lockdowns. There is a very real possibility they will kill more people that they save. There are so many anomolies with infections now that it is clear the models used by the WHO and CDC are simply wrong. They don't account for the 20%-40% asymptomatic carriers of the virus. Given those kinds of numbers, the lockdowns currently in place do almost nothing. They do however, destroy the economy and lead to deep depressions and increased suicide.

It is time to stop the charade we are in and face the truth honestly. Trump supporters are not evil. They are simply reaching for the only option available. The answer is not to denigrate them, but give them a better option for undoing the shackles of globalization.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

I've heard of this "US' country, but I've never quite understood why people, especially those who are not from there, feel the need to endlessly discuss and criticize it.

Is it really that inneresting? Maybe it's because the Residents are from there? :chin:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

monomial wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:08 pm There are so many anomolies with infections now that it is clear the models used by the WHO and CDC are simply wrong.
What model is Jared Kushner using and how is it superior?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:27 am
monomial wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:08 pm There are so many anomolies with infections now that it is clear the models used by the WHO and CDC are simply wrong.
What model is Jared Kushner using and how is it superior?
Don't know anything about Jared Kushner. I do know that none of the models being used by the WHO or CDC account for 20%-40% asymptomatic carriers. The fact that this is the reality has only started to become apparent in the last 2 weeks as widespread testing is becoming more common. And that makes a tremendous difference.
oldfatbarang
Expatriate

Post by oldfatbarang »

If you want to get your wife to the states and the U.S. no longerprocessing immigration visas you can try taking her on a tourist visa and after she arrives in America she can apply for a change of status.I did that with my wife after the U.S. Embassy in Cambodia stopped accepting visa applications.I took y wife to Bangkok ad applied for a tourist visa for her and after we got to America she applied for a change of status and was issued an immigration visa.She's a U.S. citizen now.
Bedazzler!
Expatriate

Post by Bedazzler! »

oldfatbarang wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:27 am If you want to get your wife to the states and the U.S. no longerprocessing immigration visas you can try taking her on a tourist visa and after she arrives in America she can apply for a change of status.I did that with my wife after the U.S. Embassy in Cambodia stopped accepting visa applications.I took y wife to Bangkok ad applied for a tourist visa for her and after we got to America she applied for a change of status and was issued an immigration visa.She's a U.S. citizen now.
That's interesting. I don't know what year that happened or what nationality your wife is. But I think it's very hard or almost impossible for young, single Cambodian women with American boyfriends to get tourist visas to the USA. The US Government suspects they will overstay or marry and try to adjust status.
Bedazzler!
Expatriate

Post by Bedazzler! »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:07 am President Trump just signed an executive order to halt all immigration to the US.

*sigh*

It’s gonna be even longer for missus to get her visa.
We all have to wait for the details but this article suggests that family based visas may not be affected?? Only working visas??

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... s-concerns
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic