Ringpull redemption fee in PP?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Ringpull redemption fee in PP?

Post by talltuktuk »

What’s the going rate for redeeming ringpulls in PP? In SR it was 500r but I was just told 1000r at my local drink shop in PP. Should I expect 1000r everywhere here?
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Andy S Tawatin
Expatriate

Re: Ringpull redemption fee in PP?

Post by Andy S Tawatin »

500r, some places can get for 200r, but not for white folks. It helps if you go to the place where you regularly buy your cans from.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Always 500r or free if they happen the have the ones with no ring pulls on them (unless things have suddenly changed).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Depends on the store you use - I always use the same mom-n-pop store to purchase my beer, and they exchange my ringpull tabs free of charge, for the same competition ringpull tab beers. I usually exchange a case worth at a time.

Many vendors charge 200 - 500 KHR per can for competition can exchange or free for non-competition cans. Or, you can go direct to the vendor for free exchange.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

just back from the province and they were charging 1000 KHR to locals

my local store has just gone up from 500 t0 700.

paying 1000 for a 'free' can is pretty insane considering a can is around 2000
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:51 am Depends on the store you use - I always use the same mom-n-pop store to purchase my beer, and they exchange my ringpull tabs free of charge, for the same competition ringpull tab beers. I usually exchange a case worth at a time.

Many vendors charge 200 - 500 KHR per can for competition can exchange or free for non-competition cans. Or, you can go direct to the vendor for free exchange.
Where/who is the Vendor? Are you referring to the main office downtown?
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

cautious colin wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:13 pm just back from the province and they were charging 1000 KHR to locals

my local store has just gone up from 500 t0 700.

paying 1000 for a 'free' can is pretty insane considering a can is around 2000
I never minded the 500r fee too much because it was helping support local families in smaller cities. But it seems some of these people in PP are doing much better. It’s a free beer, I’m not paying 1000r for it especially with so many other shops in competition, it is insane.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

I thought you geniuses all gave your ring pulls to Khmer ladies and got your free beers?
My wife does not pay...and when she wins a free bottle of green tea she does not pay.
My old buddy in Kampot saves up several cases...he calls them boxes and has his tuk tuk guy go trade them in....
Paying 25 cents for a free 50 cent beer is bullshit.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

When you see the people at the stalls counting up all the 'free beer' ringpulls and putting them into batches of 10... it's time consuming and of course they are losing a sale for each can, so I can understand why they charge 500r, otherwise they'd spend half the day handing out free beers for nothing.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:32 pm When you see the people at the stalls counting up all the 'free beer' ringpulls and putting them into batches of 10... it's time consuming and of course they are losing a sale for each can, so I can understand why they charge 500r, otherwise they'd spend half the day handing out free beers for nothing.
Of course they don't "lose a sale". Instead of getting the money from the customer they get the money from the beer company. Or maybe they get free cans to sell, I don't know how exactly the system works. But they're sure as hell not losing anything, otherwise no mom 'n pop shop would participate.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic