Ringpull redemption fee in PP?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Ringpull redemption fee in PP?

Post by cautious colin »

BR549 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:14 pm I thought you geniuses all gave your ring pulls to Khmer ladies and got your free beers?
My wife does not pay...and when she wins a free bottle of green tea she does not pay.
My old buddy in Kampot saves up several cases...he calls them boxes and has his tuk tuk guy go trade them in....
Paying 25 cents for a free 50 cent beer is bullshit.
I refer you to my previous post
cautious colin wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:13 pm just back from the province and they were charging 1000 KHR to locals
Don't have to pay for the free non-win cans but they rarely have those.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

frizzie77 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:57 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:32 pm When you see the people at the stalls counting up all the 'free beer' ringpulls and putting them into batches of 10... it's time consuming and of course they are losing a sale for each can, so I can understand why they charge 500r, otherwise they'd spend half the day handing out free beers for nothing.
Of course they don't "lose a sale". Instead of getting the money from the customer they get the money from the beer company. Or maybe they get free cans to sell, I don't know how exactly the system works. But they're sure as hell not losing anything, otherwise no mom 'n pop shop would participate.
I wouldn’t be so sure “they’re not losing anything”, they have to transport / handle the beers (how would you like to lug dozens / hundreds of cans around for no financial gain?) there is also the “administration cost” of the actual sale transaction, the reality is that the seller has double the handling cost for every “free” beer sold. That 500 riels redemption fee is what makes it worth their while, or else they’d just be slinging beers for the sole benefit of the brewery.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

Chad Sexington wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:28 pm
frizzie77 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:57 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:32 pm When you see the people at the stalls counting up all the 'free beer' ringpulls and putting them into batches of 10... it's time consuming and of course they are losing a sale for each can, so I can understand why they charge 500r, otherwise they'd spend half the day handing out free beers for nothing.
Of course they don't "lose a sale". Instead of getting the money from the customer they get the money from the beer company. Or maybe they get free cans to sell, I don't know how exactly the system works. But they're sure as hell not losing anything, otherwise no mom 'n pop shop would participate.
or else they’d just be slinging beers for the sole benefit of the brewery.
I never disputed the 500r fee. Indeed, a handling cost, and I'm OK with that.

However, even without that I highly doubt they would be "losing" anything, as I have to see the first Khmer business owner willingly losing even 100 riel.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

It’s still 500 riel in the province where I’ve been lately. In Phnom Penh one lady tried to up it to 700 and I never went back.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Anyone know where the actual distributor or whatever is in SR? I'm not even quite sure what to look for. Looking up Ganzberg distributor Siem Reap yielded no results. I have a few $1 winners and a pile of free beers. I assume I need to go to a distributor for a cash prize. I may as well take my freebies and get actual freebies while I'm there.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

500r in my province too (beers, energy drinks, ice tea).
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Electric Earth wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:26 am Anyone know where the actual distributor or whatever is in SR? I'm not even quite sure what to look for. Looking up Ganzberg distributor Siem Reap yielded no results. I have a few $1 winners and a pile of free beers. I assume I need to go to a distributor for a cash prize. I may as well take my freebies and get actual freebies while I'm there.
Mom and pop shops will exchange small cash prizes for a small fee.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

Update: after visiting a few shops and being told 800-1000r, I found one that charged 500r per ringpull for Ganzberg.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

talltuktuk wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:54 pm Update: after visiting a few shops and being told 800-1000r, I found one that charged 500r per ringpull for Ganzberg.
As others have said already: you don't go to some random shop to exchange your ringpulls, you do that at the shop where you bought your beer, and better where you regularly buy your beer.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

frizzie77 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:07 pm
talltuktuk wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:54 pm Update: after visiting a few shops and being told 800-1000r, I found one that charged 500r per ringpull for Ganzberg.
As others have said already: you don't go to some random shop to exchange your ringpulls, you do that at the shop where you bought your beer, and better where you regularly buy your beer.
I didn’t really have a regular beer shop yet as I recently moved here and only bought beer twice. The shop I was frequenting recently decided that being fucking rude and cheating me on ice was more important than my continued patronage, hence my decision to find a new one. After finding that shop yesterday that exchanged my tabs for 500r, I will continue to go there for future beer purchases.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic