Tourist beaten in Phnom Penh by Sethbo Boat Captain

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bestsmile
Tourist
Australia

Tourist beaten in Phnom Penh by Sethbo Boat Captain

Post by bestsmile »

Attacks by Cambodian: SETHBO BOAT trip on river.

3 days ago in Phnom Penh opposite the Night Market, only 3 tourists and 4 cambodians went on a boat trip on the river. We paid 5 USD ie 20000riel for a one hour trip on the river but Cambodians only paid 5000 riel. The boat departed 10 mins late and returned only after 10 minutes downriver despite having paid for 1 hour as it was written on their signs. There was nothing wrong with the boat or engine so one of the lady tourist complained to the captain about the short trip. He referred us to the ticket seller. The Cambodians also complained. The lady got into an argument with him (both dont understand each other) demanding a refund of 5USD. The owner raised his voice and fist to beat the lady. I intervened to stop him from hitting her then 2 of his female assistants selling tickets became involved and hit the woman tourists several times. One of the female assistant took a plastic chair to smash the woman tourist on the head. I intervened to take the plastic chair away. The boat captain then came behind me and hit me on the back of my head and then the face.
When we returned to the hotel to report the matter to management and hopefully get police involvement, we were told that we had to pay the police 20USD to make a report and management said that most likely the police would ask the boat owner to pay them 20 USD and the matter is then resolved ie police profit 40USD and no refund to tourists.

This is Cambodian justice we have experienced. Tourists are advised by locals that police involvement will not only cost more but result in no action taken.
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Tourist beaten in Phnom Penh by Sethbo Boat Captain

Post by Lost50 »

Is Cambodia not practicing social distancing at the moment? In these times it seems retarded to hop on a boat in close proximity. Perhaps all of you need some sense slapped into you.
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

just a bunch of retarded monkeys :plus1: ( both groups)!
WineOxley
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by WineOxley »

Did you try filing a police report?
Lands and cities are left astern,your faults will follow you whithersoever you travel.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

It's one of the golden rules in the KOW that you never get involved with Khmer -on -Khmer punch ups. Even, and especially, where there are women involved.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

You might want to try the tourist police.

I think they are dedicated to assisting foreign tourists in matters like this.

Get as many witnesses / victims of this fraud/assault and battery as possible. The more Khmer the better.

You may not encounter as much bureaucratic resistance (ie, no action until bribe is paid) with the tourist police, I think, because they might be aware that foreign tourists are unaccustomed to the level of overt corruption in the police / legal system in Cambodia

The sooner you act, the better.

Don't let these mongrel boat owners/staff think that putting hands on customers will go unchallenged.

1- Tourist Police - Phnom Penh

Phone: 012 942 484
Address: St. 598, 12107, Phnom Penh
WineOxley
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by WineOxley »

bestsmile wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:53 am Attacks by Cambodian: SETHBO BOAT trip on river.

3 days ago in Phnom Penh opposite the Night Market, only 3 tourists and 4 cambodians went on a boat trip on the river. We paid 5 USD ie 20000riel for a one hour trip on the river but Cambodians only paid 5000 riel. The boat departed 10 mins late and returned only after 10 minutes downriver despite having paid for 1 hour as it was written on their signs. There was nothing wrong with the boat or engine so one of the lady tourist complained to the captain about the short trip. He referred us to the ticket seller. The Cambodians also complained. The lady got into an argument with him (both dont understand each other) demanding a refund of 5USD. The owner raised his voice and fist to beat the lady. I intervened to stop him from hitting her then 2 of his female assistants selling tickets became involved and hit the woman tourists several times. One of the female assistant took a plastic chair to smash the woman tourist on the head. I intervened to take the plastic chair away. The boat captain then came behind me and hit me on the back of my head and then the face.
When we returned to the hotel to report the matter to management and hopefully get police involvement, we were told that we had to pay the police 20USD to make a report and management said that most likely the police would ask the boat owner to pay them 20 USD and the matter is then resolved ie police profit 40USD and no refund to tourists.

This is Cambodian justice we have experienced. Tourists are advised by locals that police involvement will not only cost more but result in no action taken.
Yeah look, this is now your responsibility to follow this up with the Tourist Police. Gathering witnesses and evidence too.

Impotence in the form of inaction is dangerous for future tourists who use same boat service.
Lands and cities are left astern,your faults will follow you whithersoever you travel.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:59 pm It's one of the golden rules in the KOW that you never get involved with Khmer -on -Khmer punch ups. Even, and especially, where there are women involved.
True, but it was a tourist lady that got hit. That's disturbing.

Was she looking asian or western or else ? A local insulting the captain with local nasty words could spice up the situation quite fast, and a non-fluent tourist getting in beetween would risk more than getting in beetween a western woman who just complained in plain english.

Anyway, fuck that boat and it's crew.

One google comment nailed it by mistake though :

Sreytouch Vong
Local Guide · 41 reviews · 73 photos
3 months ago
Basic and affordable boat service where you can enjoy stunting view of sunset in the city center.

Stunting. Stunts guaranteed.
[media] [/media]
oldfatbarang
Expatriate

Post by oldfatbarang »

I have found that only if you know a Khemer who knows the right person of influence who can send their own enforcers to force the police to take action,you are not likely to get any satisfaction.You are already taking the best course of action by making other barangs aware that the Setho boat trip is a waste of money.
WineOxley
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by WineOxley »

Have you considered leaving him a review on yelp?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic