Tourist beaten in Phnom Penh by Sethbo Boat Captain

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Tourist beaten in Phnom Penh by Sethbo Boat Captain

Post by frizzie77 »

bestsmile wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:38 pm
frizzie77 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:47 am I'm having a bit of a problem with OP's post.

First: why wait 3 days to post the 'incident' here?

Furthermore, if it happened the way described (incl. Cambodians complaining) there should be some video of this incident. Don't tell me Cambodians (or tourists for that matter) don't immediately get their phone's camera running when something like described happens right in front of them and put it on their Facebook account.

Then, there's no complaint on the Facebook page of said boat company: https://www.facebook.com/Sethbo-boat-to ... 890210342/

And on top of all that, OP apparently poses as 'a tourist'. So why is OP also interested in renting a property in Phnom Penh (and by the way, posting that within 40 minutes of the original post at the top of this thread)? See here: post414572.html#p414572

I have a feeling there's something going on, not being told...
You think we are secret spies trying to defame Sethbo Boat Tours? Not all tourists discover this website to report the matter immediately. Those other millions of tourists who did or did not film the incident must be co-conspirators to defame Sethbo Boat Tours too for not posting or reporting this incident IMMEDIATELY online everywhere. You must have been there that late night and never even reported it online. What is your excuse for not filming or reporting it?
Interests in properties must be very important in determining the veracity or doubts on this case too. Highly suspicious, of course. Tourists can never be interested in properties? Your job with FBI must have gotten you a promotion to Cambodian Expat Investigator trying to find out dark hidden secrets behind the case. Maybe you having a high temperature now? Found anything more suspicious in the darkness of your mind?
Yes, I find it highly suspicious that you're putting a lot of time in replying to each and everyone in this thread, slagging everyone off who dared to comment, but at the same time with no further proof whatsoever of the 'incident'.
Also interesting is that you apparently have a picture of the people on the boat when cruising the river (although in a strange angle), but nothing of the incident itself.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

All this over $5 each? Ridiculous, just walk away. It would have made a funny story if it hadn't of got out of hand.I can't believe how petty people are.
It's really a non story. Things have become pretty boring in Cambodia with the lockdown. What a shit post.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Hmmm The poster seems to have principles & taken the higher ground in this thread!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Yobbo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:24 pm Hmmm The poster seems to have principles & taken the higher ground in this thread!
Yeah, that's how I see it and I don't know why the OP is getting a hard time from some members. 2 principles here: they were told they would get a 1 hr cruise but they got scammed with a 10 min one and the ensuing argument resulted in a lady getting assaulted. The latter in particular is a concern.

And if the story is legit, I don't see anything suspicious re the actions the OP took and the responses given to member's posts here imo.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

willyhilly wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:41 pmI can't believe how petty people are.
It's really a non story. Things have become pretty boring in Cambodia with the lockdown. What a shit post.
until it's your money.

then its a different take.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

The OP & people with them on that boat were apparently scammed & then attacked when they complained about it. That's not right, we all know its not right.

Since I started travelling to Thailand, & SE Asia nearly 10 years ago, all I have read is about how you don't get involved in confrontations with local people, no matter what they have done or what has happened.

This acceptance by mainly ex-pats & long term visitors (it seems) that you do nothing to help/ protect anybody else & don't get involved, no matter what the provocation or situation is or how much you've been scammed for, sits very uneasily with me. Why would you turn your back on something you know is wrong ?

The reluctance to do the right & honourable thing no matter what happens, just seems morally wrong, Hide behind your curtains and pretend you haven't seen anything modern selfish generation

Accepting that local people will routinely attack & scam foreigners, and pretending they haven't noticed a thing is a sign of the way they live their often solitary "I'm alright" lives

If they were say in the UK or USA perhaps, and saw an old lady being mugged, would they still pretend they hadn't seen anything ?

You do wonder
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:51 pm
Yobbo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:24 pm Hmmm The poster seems to have principles & taken the higher ground in this thread!
if the story is legit
And that's the point I'm questioning.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

jaynewcastle wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:13 pm If they were say in the UK or USA perhaps, and saw an old lady being mugged, would they still pretend they hadn't seen anything ?

You do wonder
I never saw that happen. Here or in Europe. And I was around plenty of shitty places. I've been on those boats dozens of times and never had a problem. So this guy was either very unfortunate or one of the group got cheeky and pissed the boat crew off. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

No proof, no confession, let's assume the captain is a dickhead

THE END

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

jaynewcastle wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:13 pm The OP & people with them on that boat were apparently scammed & then attacked when they complained about it. That's not right, we all know its not right.

Since I started travelling to Thailand, & SE Asia nearly 10 years ago, all I have read is about how you don't get involved in confrontations with local people, no matter what they have done or what has happened.

This acceptance by mainly ex-pats & long term visitors (it seems) that you do nothing to help/ protect anybody else & don't get involved, no matter what the provocation or situation is or how much you've been scammed for, sits very uneasily with me. Why would you turn your back on something you know is wrong ?

The reluctance to do the right & honourable thing no matter what happens, just seems morally wrong, Hide behind your curtains and pretend you haven't seen anything modern selfish generation

Accepting that local people will routinely attack & scam foreigners, and pretending they haven't noticed a thing is a sign of the way they live their often solitary "I'm alright" lives

If they were say in the UK or USA perhaps, and saw an old lady being mugged, would they still pretend they hadn't seen anything ?

You do wonder
You can confront, but the way you do so nakes the difference. In this case I don’t think an expat was on the boat, or a complaining Cambodian passenger was harassed. So blaming expats for this is a bit far stretched.
When in Rome, do as Romans do, don’t act like you’re in Caracas and blame the expats for your problems afterwards.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic