Tourist beaten in Phnom Penh by Sethbo Boat Captain

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bestsmile
Tourist
Australia

Re: Tourist beaten in Phnom Penh by Sethbo Boat Captain

Post by bestsmile »

Thanks. I think foreigners should know what is happening. Tourists get cheated everyday by many hawkers but I have not seen violence against tourists as blatant as this. Tourists should boycott this type of operators.
Maybe corona has an effect on frustrated locals looking for a quick profit but clear signs of 1 hour tour became a 10 minutes tour is clearly not right. The male owner threatening to beat the woman tourist who complained is clearly wrong. 2 women ticket sellers ganging up against one amounts to bullying to stop complaints of their cheating. It is not the 5 dollars or 2 dollars that matter but why should we pay 4x more for the same trip? few thousand riels more for the same cup of tea or noodles? It is this type of complacency and acceptance that foster a cheating mentality in locals against foreigners. The worst is violence against tourists for complaining against their blatant cheating. Funny? I think not.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Ignore a lot of the bored and ignorant posters OP. If they put themselves and their wives in your shoes they would be pissed too. It doesn't take much to escalate something minor instance and it happens to almost all of us every blue moon. Yes, it was shitty what they did. After a few days let it go. That boat is anything but fuel-efficient and I'm sure tensions were already high with the captain and workers since profits are probably nonexistent for them.

I'm not picking on you, but I certainly would have found police immediately. not go and complain to hotel staff. Even if I had to ask a tuk-tuk to take me to the police station, I would have spoken to the police.
Still here, in country...
bestsmile
Tourist
Australia

Post by bestsmile »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:59 pm It's one of the golden rules in the KOW that you never get involved with Khmer -on -Khmer punch ups. Even, and especially, where there are women involved.
Whenever 2 persons attempt to smash another person's head with a chair ie potential for serious injuries ===== the duty is to help prevent it. This is a case of one male owner attacking a female tourist and then when stopped, 2 other female ticket sellers attacked the woman tourist. You are the wise guy who will stand there and watch?

Avoid punch ups? The male captain of the boat (the cambodian guy at the rear of the picture) came from behind to punch when I attempted to stop the ticket seller from smashing a plastic chair onto the tourist's head. Hope you will find it fun to watch. Regardless of whether the tourist is Asian, european or Indian, there is no excuse for watching someone get smashed in the head, be it a plastic chair.

Disgusted at some comments by expats here.

Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Yeah, well, I get disgusted at the hand wringing of folk who won't report petty crimes like this to the cops, but whinge to all and sundry otherwise.
Last edited by Jerry Atrick on Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

bestsmile wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:20 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:59 pm It's one of the golden rules in the KOW that you never get involved with Khmer -on -Khmer punch ups. Even, and especially, where there are women involved.
Whenever 2 persons attempt to smash another person's head with a chair ie potential for serious injuries ===== the duty is to help prevent it. This is a case of one male owner attacking a female tourist and then when stopped, 2 other female ticket sellers attacked the woman tourist.
Don’t forget you’re in a foreign country. You don’t speak the language. You don’t know how it is (dis)organized. So keeping a low profile is usually smarter than letting things get out hand, even if you feel you are right and even if you feel like it’s the right thing to do. Claiming your rights can be pretty difficult in Cambodia, but I guess you found out by now.

Having people smashed up for 5 bucks is never a good idea.
bestsmile
Tourist
Australia

Post by bestsmile »

WineOxley wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:18 pm
bestsmile wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:53 am Attacks by Cambodian: SETHBO BOAT trip on river.

3 days ago in Phnom Penh opposite the Night Market, only 3 tourists and 4 cambodians went on a boat trip on the river. We paid 5 USD ie 20000riel for a one hour trip on the river but Cambodians only paid 5000 riel. The boat departed 10 mins late and returned only after 10 minutes downriver despite having paid for 1 hour as it was written on their signs. There was nothing wrong with the boat or engine so one of the lady tourist complained to the captain about the short trip. He referred us to the ticket seller. The Cambodians also complained. The lady got into an argument with him (both dont understand each other) demanding a refund of 5USD. The owner raised his voice and fist to beat the lady. I intervened to stop him from hitting her then 2 of his female assistants selling tickets became involved and hit the woman tourists several times. One of the female assistant took a plastic chair to smash the woman tourist on the head. I intervened to take the plastic chair away. The boat captain then came behind me and hit me on the back of my head and then the face.
When we returned to the hotel to report the matter to management and hopefully get police involvement, we were told that we had to pay the police 20USD to make a report and management said that most likely the police would ask the boat owner to pay them 20 USD and the matter is then resolved ie police profit 40USD and no refund to tourists.

This is Cambodian justice we have experienced. Tourists are advised by locals that police involvement will not only cost more but result in no action taken.
Yeah look, this is now your responsibility to follow this up with the Tourist Police. Gathering witnesses and evidence too.

Impotence in the form of inaction is dangerous for future tourists who use same boat service.
Here is photo of captain who hit from behind. He is at the rear of the photo. Hope anyone seeing other tourists being attacked will intervene regardless of whether women, men, Asians, Indians or Europeans. It is our duty to prevent locals ganging up to attack those who complain about their cheatings and dishonesty.

bestsmile
Tourist
Australia

Post by bestsmile »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:31 pm
bestsmile wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:20 pm
Whenever 2 persons attempt to smash another person's head with a chair ie potential for serious injuries ===== the duty is to help prevent it. This is a case of one male owner attacking a female tourist and then when stopped, 2 other female ticket sellers attacked the woman tourist.
Don’t forget you’re in a foreign country. You don’t speak the language. You don’t know how it is (dis)organized. So keeping a low profile is usually smarter than letting things get out hand, even if you feel you are right and even if you feel like it’s the right thing to do. Claiming your rights can be pretty difficult in Cambodia, but I guess you found out by now.

Having people smashed up for 5 bucks is never a good idea.
Yes, saving our own skin is important but sticking up for justice and preventing locals ganging up to attack and smashing the head of those who complain about their cheating and dishonest is equally as important as saving your own skin. Expats must have some balls to stand up when you see local thugs gang up to cheat and beat. We should just mind our own business because they are Asians? Indians? Woman? Smarter to keep a low profile? Information and power of our words can be more powerful than punches. Here is a photo of the coward captain in the rear of the photo. The woman's companion did stayed out of harms way and let the woman got hit.

bestsmile
Tourist
Australia

Post by bestsmile »

Brody wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:05 pm You might want to try the tourist police.

I think they are dedicated to assisting foreign tourists in matters like this.

Get as many witnesses / victims of this fraud/assault and battery as possible. The more Khmer the better.

You may not encounter as much bureaucratic resistance (ie, no action until bribe is paid) with the tourist police, I think, because they might be aware that foreign tourists are unaccustomed to the level of overt corruption in the police / legal system in Cambodia

The sooner you act, the better.

Don't let these mongrel boat owners/staff think that putting hands on customers will go unchallenged.

1- Tourist Police - Phnom Penh

Phone: 012 942 484
Address: St. 598, 12107, Phnom Penh
Thanks for info. We did not report the matter to police because nobody knew how onsite. Hotel management was the best for consultation. However, they (about 5 locals in the hotel staff agreed) revealed that local police are not that helpful in such matters. Nothing would be done except demanding 20 dollars for making the report and then they would again profit 20 dollars more from the boat owners. Useful info from locals indicated that reports of such incidents are next to useless hence thugs and cheats are rampant against tourists.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

bestsmile wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:57 pm
Brody wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:05 pm You might want to try the tourist police.

I think they are dedicated to assisting foreign tourists in matters like this.

Get as many witnesses / victims of this fraud/assault and battery as possible. The more Khmer the better.

You may not encounter as much bureaucratic resistance (ie, no action until bribe is paid) with the tourist police, I think, because they might be aware that foreign tourists are unaccustomed to the level of overt corruption in the police / legal system in Cambodia

The sooner you act, the better.

Don't let these mongrel boat owners/staff think that putting hands on customers will go unchallenged.

1- Tourist Police - Phnom Penh

Phone: 012 942 484
Address: St. 598, 12107, Phnom Penh
Thanks for info. We did not report the matter to police because nobody knew how onsite. Hotel management was the best for consultation. However, they (about 5 locals in the hotel staff agreed) revealed that local police are not that helpful in such matters. Nothing would be done except demanding 20 dollars for making the report and then they would again profit 20 dollars more from the boat owners. Useful info from locals indicated that reports of such incidents are next to useless hence thugs and cheats are rampant against tourists.
Yeah, that's bullshit.

Lack of reporting or a deterrent makes thugs and cheats more rampant.
bestsmile
Tourist
Australia

Post by bestsmile »

frizzie77 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:47 am I'm having a bit of a problem with OP's post.

First: why wait 3 days to post the 'incident' here?

Furthermore, if it happened the way described (incl. Cambodians complaining) there should be some video of this incident. Don't tell me Cambodians (or tourists for that matter) don't immediately get their phone's camera running when something like described happens right in front of them and put it on their Facebook account.

Then, there's no complaint on the Facebook page of said boat company: https://www.facebook.com/Sethbo-boat-to ... 890210342/

And on top of all that, OP apparently poses as 'a tourist'. So why is OP also interested in renting a property in Phnom Penh (and by the way, posting that within 40 minutes of the original post at the top of this thread)? See here: post414572.html#p414572

I have a feeling there's something going on, not being told...
You think we are secret spies trying to defame Sethbo Boat Tours? Not all tourists discover this website to report the matter immediately. Those other millions of tourists who did or did not film the incident must be co-conspirators to defame Sethbo Boat Tours too for not posting or reporting this incident IMMEDIATELY online everywhere. You must have been there that late night and never even reported it online. What is your excuse for not filming or reporting it?
Interests in properties must be very important in determining the veracity or doubts on this case too. Highly suspicious, of course. Tourists can never be interested in properties? Your job with FBI must have gotten you a promotion to Cambodian Expat Investigator trying to find out dark hidden secrets behind the case. Maybe you having a high temperature now? Found anything more suspicious in the darkness of your mind?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic