Tourist beaten in Phnom Penh by Sethbo Boat Captain

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Re: Tourist beaten in Phnom Penh by Sethbo Boat Captain

Post by King Keil »

Lost50 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:39 pm Is Cambodia not practicing social distancing at the moment? In these times it seems retarded to hop on a boat in close proximity. Perhaps all of you need some sense slapped into you.
7 people on a boat of that size that is common there? I would say social distancing is not a huge problem in that case if people really want.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

I'm having a bit of a problem with OP's post.

First: why wait 3 days to post the 'incident' here?

Furthermore, if it happened the way described (incl. Cambodians complaining) there should be some video of this incident. Don't tell me Cambodians (or tourists for that matter) don't immediately get their phone's camera running when something like described happens right in front of them and put it on their Facebook account.

Then, there's no complaint on the Facebook page of said boat company: https://www.facebook.com/Sethbo-boat-to ... 890210342/

And on top of all that, OP apparently poses as 'a tourist'. So why is OP also interested in renting a property in Phnom Penh (and by the way, posting that within 40 minutes of the original post at the top of this thread)? See here: post414572.html#p414572

I have a feeling there's something going on, not being told...
MarkRobinson
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by MarkRobinson »

:dragonchase:
The captain's actions are just like90 % of the bar girls and Sorya mall /riverside traders.
Its all ' smiles ' and pleasantries at the start but if you dare question their moneyed demands or absence of advertised services , then look out ! You will be yelled at very abusively ,intimidated and threntend with " police problems"., The only way to counter these developments is to take out the one making the most noise decisively. , ,& then leave the scene rapidly. , shoot & scoote.
They play their games ,we play ours. :dragonchase: + +
"The Truth ,The whole truth " & nothing but the T R U T H ,Galbelly for the Defense.🍇
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

bestsmile wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:53 am Attacks by Cambodian: SETHBO BOAT trip on river.

3 days ago in Phnom Penh opposite the Night Market, only 3 tourists and 4 cambodians went on a boat trip on the river. We paid 5 USD ie 20000riel for a one hour trip on the river but Cambodians only paid 5000 riel. The boat departed 10 mins late and returned only after 10 minutes downriver despite having paid for 1 hour as it was written on their signs. There was nothing wrong with the boat or engine so one of the lady tourist complained to the captain about the short trip. He referred us to the ticket seller. The Cambodians also complained. The lady got into an argument with him (both dont understand each other) demanding a refund of 5USD. The owner raised his voice and fist to beat the lady. I intervened to stop him from hitting her then 2 of his female assistants selling tickets became involved and hit the woman tourists several times. One of the female assistant took a plastic chair to smash the woman tourist on the head. I intervened to take the plastic chair away. The boat captain then came behind me and hit me on the back of my head and then the face.
When we returned to the hotel to report the matter to management and hopefully get police involvement, we were told that we had to pay the police 20USD to make a report and management said that most likely the police would ask the boat owner to pay them 20 USD and the matter is then resolved ie police profit 40USD and no refund to tourists.

This is Cambodian justice we have experienced. Tourists are advised by locals that police involvement will not only cost more but result in no action taken.
Sounds like you got your $5 worth. Usually, you have to pay a bit more than that and stay up to 4AM on Street 51 for that kind of entertainment. :popcorn:

But for real, should have gone to the tourist police, as stated earlier.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Lost50 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:39 pm Is Cambodia not practicing social distancing at the moment? In these times it seems retarded to hop on a boat in close proximity. Perhaps all of you need some sense slapped into you.
Even more retarded to enter in close combat :-)
Thats given me an idea . Thai boxing oin full ppe suits :facepalm:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Yea, suspect post - I bet there's more to the story.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

All this over five bucks??

Was there alcohol involved in this story?

:boxing:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
bestsmile
Tourist
Australia

Post by bestsmile »

As a witness, there was no alcohol involved. A 20 feet boat with 7 persons on double deck boat certainly gives more space than social distancing between opposite sides of your skull. Tourists deserve to pay for one hour trip, got only 10minutes, and the lady who complained deserve to be attacked? 5USD is not the problem but blatant cheating is not right.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

tourist police

name and shame boat and operator
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »