Are snakes in Cambodia afraid of pregnant women?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
TeachingForPeanuts
Expatriate

Are snakes in Cambodia afraid of pregnant women?

Post by TeachingForPeanuts »

My wife is pregnant and tells me that if a snake sees her the snake won't attack and will instead be immobilized with fear. Has anyone else heard this?
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Are snakes in Cambodia afraid of pregnant women?

Post by bittermelon »

^^ Interesting. they sure do have some interesting health realted beliefs. I was told once when I had an injured foot that I shouldn't eat peanuts.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

TeachingForPeanuts wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:29 am My wife is pregnant and tells me that if a snake sees her the snake won't attack and will instead be immobilized with fear. Has anyone else heard this?
I seem to rememebr reading something on a similar vein from africa. if i remmeber righ tthe theory was pregnant women give of different pheromones which may deter some animals from approching. Thethoery was it is a biological defense system to protect the species. Of course some pregnant animals produce pheromones when pregnant which tell the male of the species not to waste their effort because the oven is already loaded
philip.smith
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by philip.smith »

Asked the missus, apparently some believe that the snake is scared of two pairs of eyes (mother's, baby's).
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

philip.smith wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:52 am Asked the missus, apparently some believe that the snake is scared of two pairs of eyes (mother's, baby's).
Most snakes have very poor vision....
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

hanno wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:27 pm
philip.smith wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:52 am Asked the missus, apparently some believe that the snake is scared of two pairs of eyes (mother's, baby's).
Most snakes have very poor vision....
These are special Khmer snakes - they can see inside of stumatch.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

I moved a Kaffir lime / Makrut to right next to my front door. I've had three different people tell me it was a good idea because it scares snakes. I said "you mean they don't like the smell?" "No, they're scared of that plant". Nobody could say why though
up to you...
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Clemen wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:45 pm I moved a Kaffir lime / Makrut to right next to my front door. I've had three different people tell me it was a good idea because it scares snakes. I said "you mean they don't like the smell?" "No, they're scared of that plant". Nobody could say why though
Just googled Snakes and Kaffir Lime and got this:

Natural Snake Repellents: 8 Plants That Keep The Snakes Away
Snakes don’t like the smell of kaffir-lime, and they normally stay away from the places with kaffir-lime trees. In Cambodia, people usually put leaves, fruit, and the peels of kaffir-lime in various places inside and outside the house. The strong smell of kaffir-lime simply keeps the snakes as well as some insects and pest away. No matter if it is the lime or the whole tree, snakes are afraid of all of them.
https://whatdewhat.com/natural-snake-repellents-plants/
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

I'm not sure about their list, #1 is cactus
up to you...
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Yes specially if the child belongs to the snake!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic