Are snakes in Cambodia afraid of pregnant women?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Are snakes in Cambodia afraid of pregnant women?

Post by DaveG »

pczz wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:55 am
TeachingForPeanuts wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:29 am My wife is pregnant and tells me that if a snake sees her the snake won't attack and will instead be immobilized with fear. Has anyone else heard this?
I seem to rememebr reading something on a similar vein from africa. if i remmeber righ tthe theory was pregnant women give of different pheromones which may deter some animals from approching. Thethoery was it is a biological defense system to protect the species. Of course some pregnant animals produce pheromones when pregnant which tell the male of the species not to waste their effort because the oven is already loaded
"pregnant women give of different pheromones which may deter some animals from approaching"

Including men ........ :shock: :shock:
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Post by michael.stewart1 »

TeachingForPeanuts wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:29 am My wife is pregnant and tells me that if a snake sees her the snake won't attack and will instead be immobilized with fear. Has anyone else heard this?
I do not know if it would just be snakes but I would be deathly afraid if my ex told me she was pregnant. It would be like having someone tell me you are going to be broke, listening to the Mommy shark song, and not be able to have wild and crazy adventures to Neptune anymore and will have to be smiling while you are doing this. I once told my ex if she ever told me she was pregnant I would go dive off a bridge and try to swim across the Mekong river
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

michael.stewart1 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:59 pm
I do not know if it would just be snakes but I would be deathly afraid if my ex told me she was pregnant.
I didn't know you had an ex, you should mention it more often
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

michael.stewart1 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:59 pm
I do not know if it would just be snakes but I would be deathly afraid if my ex told me she was pregnant. It would be like having someone tell me you are going to be broke, listening to the Mommy shark song, and not be able to have wild and crazy adventures to Neptune anymore and will have to be smiling while you are doing this. I once told my ex if she ever told me she was pregnant I would go dive off a bridge and try to swim across the Mekong river
Smooth talker.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

It’s hard to reason with baby fever. The wanting a baby, wanting it now.

Now, meaning having prenatal care in the countryside, giving birth at the provincial hospital (or less). As opposed to waiting, getting western prenatal care, epidural in a hospital, proper house for the kid with crib, clothes, toys, and baby monitor.

Pregnancy is already going to be fun time. The one plus, won’t have to worry about snakes.
TeachingForPeanuts
Expatriate

Post by TeachingForPeanuts »

Found this reference online.

pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

DaveG wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:37 pm
pczz wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:55 am
I seem to rememebr reading something on a similar vein from africa. if i remmeber righ tthe theory was pregnant women give of different pheromones which may deter some animals from approching. Thethoery was it is a biological defense system to protect the species. Of course some pregnant animals produce pheromones when pregnant which tell the male of the species not to waste their effort because the oven is already loaded
"pregnant women give of different pheromones which may deter some animals from approaching"

Including men ........ :shock: :shock:
na - we think different. if she is knocked up already then we can't be blamed for it so dafe target :-)
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

If you see a snake in your dream, it's a pregnancy news, or so they say.
Don't forget the water buffalo
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Clemen wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:45 pm I moved a Kaffir lime / Makrut to right next to my front door. I've had three different people tell me it was a good idea because it scares snakes. I said "you mean they don't like the smell?" "No, they're scared of that plant". Nobody could say why though
I’d hazard a guess that the educational background of those people would lead them to maintain their beliefs. It was only a few hundred years ago that western civilizations maintained that plagues were some spiritual justice or vengeance, or blamed it all on bad spirits. Advances in technology, and progressive minds pursuing controversial new ideas have dragged us out of the dark ages.

Now, we benefit from a less flat, cleaner earth, and of course easier transmission of new ideas. Sadly, the new ideas still take longer than the latest bug to get about.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic